Shedding

ClaireandMarty

May 26, 2010
Eustis, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy and Mikey
I rescued Mikey about 3 months ago and boy does he shed! I mean he REALLY sheds - constantly. Lucy, my other bully only sheds (a little) after I give her a bath. Mikey on the other hand sheds all the time. I rub him all over and it's like I get a 1/2 of dog off of him. Is this normal or something I need to look in to?
Thanks

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
He could have more coat than your Lucy, and since summer is hear it is very natural for them to shed. Especially if he, himself, is still in the process of making a big adjustment to a new home. If he has been rescued, he has likely changed hands a few times and been through a LOT. It can take a long time for them to realize they are in their furever home, and any amount of stress (even if it is not noticeable) can cause hair loss.

Have you ever taken your dog to the vet, or even in the car, and all of the sudden it seems like the hair is just falling out non-stop? Whenever my girls go to the vet they shed profusely!!!

I know of two things that CAN help with shedding: Good Quality dog food (we love Avoderm) & Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil.

I would not worry about it too much. Just try to do what you can for him, but those are the only two things I know of that can help ease the shedding. :)

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Bulldogs are considered "average shedders" so they should shed a decent amount. Both of my dogs, Samson the bulldog and Loki the beagle are shedding alot right now. Like desertsky said, it's summer! Oh and desertsky how weird I never put the 2 together. Samson does shed more at the vet, he gets nervous when we are there.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.