UGH!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Well, I was cleaning Gator's face tonight and his acne is not only NOT getting better, it is WORSE! It looks awful and uncomfortable. I am doing everything I can and nothing is working. I searched the posts here for some suggestions that are new to me and I am doing everything I am supposed to. I think maybe we might try to get in at the vet in the morning! So, anyway, I put some (regular, not the painless) Neosporin on it because it looks like it might get infected.

We use stainless and I wash it every meal. About every other night I put it in the dishwasher on the "sterilize" setting when it isn't too full. I wash his chin after EVERY meal, I dry it whenever I see him drink, I have been using the brown listerine on it and drying well, I change his bedding every other day and wipe down the plastic tray in his crate with clorox wipes and then a clean damp cloth (to get the wipe's residue off) when I change his bedding. I changed his food to Fromm beef frittata (grain free) which is working great on the tear stains and poo btw. I even thought maybe I wasn't cleaning the floors enough so I have been cleaning them every other night in the main areas of the house. He likes to lay with his chin on the floor. He and Lucy do play pretty rough sometimes so I am wondering if that might be contributing to it not healing.

I am just at my wit's end! Any other suggestions!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Wow..maybe you are trying too hard? I don't do half of that..but I know these bullies are all different. Have you tried stridex pads the ones with aloe? We have a bully friend that swears by them. You are a great bully mommy.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
It could be that you might be overdoing it. What I used for the acne on Mocha was the acne pads for sensitive skin (you can purchase at any drugstore) Another great product is the Malacetic wipes for cleaning the area. Mocha had a little irritation on the wrinkles by her nose so I got some A&D ointment(the one you would use on babies) and it is 100% better. These are just suggestions of things that have worked very well for Mocha.

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
You are a great bully mommy.

Thank you for that :).

The only thing I was doing to the acne itself was putting the listerine on as suggested by a few others. The rest of that stuff is just keeping his bed, floor and bowl clean and working on a better food for him (which is helping in other areas).

I was thinking the listerine might be making it worse so I didn't use it tonight as it looked like it really hurt. Instead I just wiped it off with a damp cloth and then patted it dry and put on the neosporin. If it doesn't look at least a *little* better in the morning, I will try to get in at the vet. She suggested benzoil peroxide last time we spoke about it but that only made it more red so I stopped.

I just don't want it infected and boy it looks painful :*(

Last edited:
OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Hmm...maybe. That might be a good preventative after I clear it up a bit? I use it under his nose rope as lately the grass has been really wet from the storms and of course, if he wants to sniff something he smooshes his whole face into the ground. It works well as a barrier against the moisture.

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Try using Snout Soother you can get it at www.carolinapetpantry.com it works great on bulldog acne. I bought this stuff for my english bulldog meatball and applied it twice a day for about 3 days and it cleared up. Here's a link Snout Soother 2oz

Wow! Thank you! I will take a look at that for sure. Does it work well on noses too? I use vaseline right now but it really just traps existing moisture and doesn't really add any. Should I wait until they clear a bit? Some of them bled a little bit. I am suspecting that part of it is that he plays rough with our other dog and it is scraping it. It looks a little swollen too.

I might just take him in to the vet and see if we need some antibiotic ointment or something first. Then try to maintain with the snout soother.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hmmmm I thought listerine was for something else-- not chin acne. I am trying to think what but my mind keeps saying hot spots. Can you take a picture of it? It could be yeast or another type of fungus or bacterial infection and maybe listerine is not the best way to go. If it is, panalog ointment from your vet will do wonders.

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
I saw from several people that use it on acne. It looks like very pink bumps, almost in a cluster and he has two on his flews (is that the right word? lol). Right now there are a few that opened up (I think from play).

We need to get to the vet. My vet is great but doesn't "specialize" in bulldogs. She is interested because her sister has bulldogs and there is a vet tech that has had 4 bulldogs and has one now. I am hoping she will see it and be able to point me in the right direction on this. The benzoil peroxide she suggested only made him more red so I had to stop. I will ask her about a yeast or fungal issue.

Funny thing is, I also read on some back posts that food could be the issue. All of his other problems are clearing up since the food change like his tear stains and soft poops so I am not sure that is currently the issue. He has never been itchy except for once on his nose rope when it got super gunky one day for some reason but that stopped after I cleaned it well with the duoxo wipes. Thank you for the tip about the panalog. I will certainly ask her about fungus/yeast.

Oy....Hopefully one day we will have a routine and food that works so he can be happy! Trial and error I guess.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Maybe a course of antibiotics will clear it up instead of using anything topical. I hope you get some good answers at the vet :up:

IluvEnglishBulldogs

Jan 23, 2011
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Wow! Thank you! I will take a look at that for sure. Does it work well on noses too? I use vaseline right now but it really just traps existing moisture and doesn't really add any. Should I wait until they clear a bit? Some of them bled a little bit. I am suspecting that part of it is that he plays rough with our other dog and it is scraping it. It looks a little swollen too.

I might just take him in to the vet and see if we need some antibiotic ointment or something first. Then try to maintain with the snout soother.

Yes it works great for Dry or Chapped Dog Noses,Crusty Dog Noses, Acne

Last edited:
L

Lucy-licious

Aww sounds like your having quite a trial with Gators acne, I'd stop with the listerine if it seemed better without it just the once. I agree antibiotics might help my Eldest son had bad acne and antibiotics cleared the worst of it so that topical treatment worked better. Until you get to the vet I would clean with warm(boiled) water only pat dry and use a barrier cream such as Vaseline or a nappy rash cream, just to protect it until the vet looks.

Oh and the Snout Soother at Carolinas Pet Pantry :) yes it will help with dry noses and as [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] will vouch it is also very good on your own chapped lips :up: well worth the money.

Last edited:

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
ive always used optrex on annies face ,i also only give her fitered water as there are a lot of chemicals in tap water,have you tried just leaving it to dry out for a few days,sometimes we clean too much its just a thought,i know that sudacrem is used a lot here in england and its very good,karen

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you all for the replies, We have an appt in about an hour so I will let you know what they say. It doesn't look much better this morning. A little but not a lot. Once it is clear, I need to figure out a good routine even if it is just a cloth wet with plain water and drying well. I will get the snout soother for his nose for sure! Wish us luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online