Losing hair on sides..

Puckstr33

Apr 21, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly
I have a 10 month old Female that has been fixed. About 5 weeks ago she started losing hair on her right side flank area. It has also thinned some on left side. She has no itchy or scratching at all. It doesn't seem to bother her. Any thoughts?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Hmm... No help here but we have had a few I think with this where the hair fell out and came back in later with no reason if I remember correctly. Dang if my memory wasnt better I could help more. Someone will know something. ;)

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Our Duke has this. We took him to the vet when it first happened.. its called ( hope I spell correct ) alopacia it is very common in bulldogs and boxers.. as long as no scratching would not worry.
:D

crystalmcr

Nov 8, 2010
Minnesota
Bulldog(s) Names
Frany Stein and Boris Karloff
I had the same problem with my 1st bulldog, Billie. I was at the vet for a check up, and I was joking about how I was petting him too much and wearing the fur off of him. My vet suggested that we check his thyroid. We did...yup, he had very low thyroid. I got him on meds and his hair came back and he was much more active too.

Just a thought about something to check out.

Good luck!

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
I am a speech therapist who works with little kiddies in their homes. One of my clients has a bully and his mom was telling me that the first summer they had her she lost her hair on both sides. She did mention that she had something with her skin, but I can't remember what she said it was. But after they took care of it her hair grew back in and was a little darker then the rest of her body. Not really noticable until she pointed it out to me. I can try to see what she said it was and get back to you!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
My bulldog BabyGirl (who is white) developed some raised welts on her side and the fur fell out gradually. Still a bare spot on her flank. i'm going to assume its allergies. She has no other symptoms. Welts went down and her skin is normal again but hair hasn't grown back yet. Otherwise she is perfectly healthy and has no itching of any kind. She eats Wellness Core but in the process of switching her to Natures Variety Instinct.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Forgot to add a photo. She's had that bare spot since February.

BareSpot.jpg

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
At the bully meet-up we went to a couple weeks ago there was a vet there who talked about Seasonal alopecia and said its something common in bullies. The dog who was used to show us a demo on agility training had patches on both sides of his body what were almost bald. That I believe is why the question came up.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
usually due to hormone changes ,the hair should go back once a season has passed,i use dermacton on my girl as at the moment shes itchy due to being in season,karen

OP
Puckstr33

Puckstr33

Apr 21, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly
Thank you for al the reply's..I have her on Science Diet puppy formula and would like to changer her over in the next month. Does anyone have any good recommendations? Is just coming up on 11months old and weighs 51 pounds.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
A lot of people here feed Fromm and NVI. Both have grain-free options available. Since she's 11 months, 1 cup twice per day is recommended. Don't forget to transition slowly when you change her food. Maybe do 1/4 cup new, 3/4 cup old for the first couple of days then progress to 1/2 and 1/2 for the next two and so on. You'll most likely find a great difference in her energy as well as her stools. Hope she feels better soon. Let us know how it goes!

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Hey Ya'll, I haven't been on in awhile and I apologize for that. I really do love this forum.
Mona Lisa is also my first Bullie and although we've had her for 2 years, she has never had the flank area of both sides lose hair until this winter. She turned 3 in Febuary and I've done research on this that says what everyone else here says, could be thyroid or could be seasonal. Mona is due for her shots in June but we're going to take her in May to have a routine check up. Her thyroid was checked last June and the test results came back fine, but we'll have to see. Thanks for everyone's advise!

Last edited:

Srhak

Oct 21, 2010
The hair loss is called seasonal canine flank alopecia. Our boy had that last spring. Started giving him one ounce of Aloe Gold and he quickly became his handsome self again. Natural aloe product that is great. Contact me at srhak@nventure if you need more info. As for food, I use Wolfking by Solid Gold. Bison protein based with no poultry or fillers. Bison is the best protein source for bullies and many have reactions to poultry. Hope this helps! Dr. Kahrs

Arcticbulldog

Apr 23, 2011
Narvik, Norway
It is Seasonal flank Alopecia all right. We have been through this a couple of times and the good thing is that it will pass. The bad is it takes time. From a couple of months and upwards. If you have show-plans coming up soon there could be problems..
But, I have seen bulldogs with this even in the "Bulldog of the Year" show in UK so it is fairly common. The reason why they get it is not pinpointed yet. I have seen research that indicated this was overrepresented in the northern parts of the world were the lack of sunlight exposure in the winter was the trigger..Others think it is imbalance in the hormonal system who is the main reason, some think it is food related and some even think it is caused by allergy. Anyway, your dog will be fine,:) it just takes time

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.