Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Losing hair on sides..

Default Re: Losing hair on sides..

The hair loss is called seasonal canine flank alopecia. Our boy had that last spring. Started giving him one ounce of Aloe Gold and he quickly became his handsome self again. Natural aloe product that is great. Contact me at srhak@nventure if you need more info. As for food, I use Wolfking by Solid Gold. Bison protein based with no poultry or fillers. Bison is the best protein source for bullies and many have reactions to poultry. Hope this helps! Dr. Kahrs

It is Seasonal flank Alopecia all right. We have been through this a couple of times and the good thing is that it will pass. The bad is it takes time. From a couple of months and upwards. If you have show-plans coming up soon there could be problems..
    But, I have seen bulldogs with this even in the "Bulldog of the Year" show in UK so it is fairly common. The reason why they get it is not pinpointed yet. I have seen research that indicated this was overrepresented in the northern parts of the world were the lack of sunlight exposure in the winter was the trigger..Others think it is imbalance in the hormonal system who is the main reason, some think it is food related and some even think it is caused by allergy. Anyway, your dog will be fine, it just takes time

Bulldog Vet in Training bluesteelapd's Avatar
    Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

thanks everyone for the advise and help!!!!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bevo
    Likes (Received)

Our male bully, age 2...Bevo...started with a loss of hair about 4inches on one side, no itching or sore spots. Took him to the vet and they did a skin test and told me to give him melatonin. Started that and the patch has started to regrow hair. Now on the other side he has a larger hair losing spot. Thinking its the seasonal alopecia or thyroid. He didnt have it last year. He has an appt with the vet next week and we will address that. Thanks for the info on this site.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nytejagldy View Post
    Our male bully, age 2...Bevo...started with a loss of hair about 4inches on one side, no itching or sore spots. Took him to the vet and they did a skin test and told me to give him melatonin. Started that and the patch has started to regrow hair. Now on the other side he has a larger hair losing spot. Thinking its the seasonal alopecia or thyroid. He didnt have it last year. He has an appt with the vet next week and we will address that. Thanks for the info on this site.
    Good luck with the vet appt ... Glad it is working some what for you baby. Keep us posted
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Late again! It is most likely as others have said. Seasonal alopecia. My Frenglish had it two years ago. When hair grew in, it was darker, but now it is regular color. This year one of my EBD's has it-skin is black on both sides. I've been giving melatonin at night. Hair is starting to come back some. No itch.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads