URGENT!!! Puppy diarrhea- Parvo case

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Re: Puppy diarrhea

Iā€™ve read a lot about the virus and how it sometimes goes in waves how he seems better then gets worse, heā€™s thrown up only once today and has had quite a bit of diarrhea with a mucus-y texture. The vet thinks the throwing up was because I didnā€™t feed him before I gave him his antibiotics and the diarrhea is just expelling the parvo. Heā€™s getting weaker and I think tonight and tomorrow are going to be rough, heā€™s not accepting food or water or broth and when I give it to him in a syringe he wonā€™t swallow, My moms coming down from Dallas tonight to help me help him and take some load off me...I havenā€™t slept in like 3 days Iā€™m constantly checking to make sure heā€™s breathing.

You are doing such a great job with baby Bear. Great that your mum is coming home to help you as it is tough to care for a little one alone. We're thinking of you and praying for Bear's recovery.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Iā€™ve read a lot about the virus and how it sometimes goes in waves how he seems better then gets worse, heā€™s thrown up only once today and has had quite a bit of diarrhea with a mucus-y texture. The vet thinks the throwing up was because I didnā€™t feed him before I gave him his antibiotics and the diarrhea is just expelling the parvo. Heā€™s getting weaker and I think tonight and tomorrow are going to be rough, heā€™s not accepting food or water or broth and when I give it to him in a syringe he wonā€™t swallow, My moms coming down from Dallas tonight to help me help him and take some load off me...I havenā€™t slept in like 3 days Iā€™m constantly checking to make sure heā€™s breathing.

Youā€™re doing great... good to hear Mom is on her way for some extra hands and eyes. Sending lots of hugs and prayers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear

Youā€™re doing great... good to hear Mom is on her way for some extra hands and eyes. Sending lots of hugs and prayers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone know how I can get bear to stop gagging? Heā€™s not throwing up just violently gagging and I feel like it takes a lot out of him.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Does anyone know how I can get bear to stop gagging? Heā€™s not throwing up just violently gagging and I feel like it takes a lot out of him.
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] ... any suggestions. All I can think of is a squirt of lemon juice but not sure that is good idea with his situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] ... any suggestions. All I can think of is a squirt of lemon juice but not sure that is good idea with his situation

I used my techie powers (a video to gif website) and was able to make a video of bear like 10 minutes ago into a gif! I let him out to walk and he runs to play with the door stopper his favorite thing lol (also I noticed there was a lil millipede on the floor so I put him outside)
ac3f8c510a93ed5aa9f9bbeb8fec83f8.gif

Hopefully it works lol

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

I used my techie powers (a video to gif website) and was able to make a video of bear like 10 minutes ago into a gif! I let him out to walk and he runs to play with the door stopper his favorite thing lol (also I noticed there was a lil centipede on the floor so I put him outside)

Hopefully it works lol

spunk,y little guy! Great job on the gif! To upload a video, load to YouTube or rumble then add link here.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Lemon with antibiotics, meds might be hard on the stomach. Acidity. Idk Iā€™ve never tried it but I personally wouldnā€™t go that route. I would go with salt. After a gag you can put a tad of salt on the tongue. Usually swishing salt n water stops gagging but dogs donā€™t swish :) Why distilled water would be better than tap water or filtered water. Better for the belly.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

I used my techie powers (a video to gif website) and was able to make a video of bear like 10 minutes ago into a gif! I let him out to walk and he runs to play with the door stopper his favorite thing lol (also I noticed there was a lil centipede on the floor so I put him outside)

Hopefully it works lol

Great, leave him play as much as he can. Energy needs to keep flowing! What a cutie!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo

Dehydration is enemy #1! Work with Vet to keep him hydrated.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo

[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] ... any suggestions....
That's a question for the Vet but I would guess that it's tied to dehydration.

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear

Great, leave him play as much as he can. Energy needs to keep flowing! What a cutie!

Itā€™s been a min but he made it another night! He woke up ready to play play play, we couldnā€™t give him his iv yet since he was so squirmy. We had to run to the vet and pick up more rebound and anti diarrhea gel, they gave us these really nice syringes that are thinner and more curved to get him to eat a bit easier and itā€™s worked, he ate two syringes of carrrot baby food and one of chicken and vegetables and I took the advice and got him some Greek no sugar added yogurt for his stomach the vet told us to not give him too much as it is dairy, heā€™s drank a bit but heā€™s doing well today. We ran to the store and got some cleaning products and a carpet cleaner and some distilled baby water along with new flavors of baby food to entice him as well. The vet said although heā€™s doing well he is potentially in the middle of the Parvo cycle, heā€™s pooping the lining of his intestines which the vet reassured that itā€™s just the virus coming out. Everything is in waves but Iā€™m really glad to have my mom here to assist as I finally got a flood sleep lol here he is this morning after we got back from the store.
9ea97b5ec4553dc3f4b6f415861ddaa7.jpg

45df81c583df8cac80b9208d21b690b4.jpg

b3314b43815be8c8c2f4c9c4f95627a3.jpg

So much baby food lol but if he needs it weā€™ll get it

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)

Looking good - Keep up your good work and say hi to the little guy!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Itā€™s been a min but he made it another night! He woke up ready to play play play, we couldnā€™t give him his iv yet since he was so squirmy. We had to run to the vet and pick up more rebound and anti diarrhea gel, they gave us these really nice syringes that are thinner and more curved to get him to eat a bit easier and itā€™s worked, he ate two syringes of carrrot baby food and one of chicken and vegetables and I took the advice and got him some Greek no sugar added yogurt for his stomach the vet told us to not give him too much as it is dairy, heā€™s drank a bit but heā€™s doing well today. We ran to the store and got some cleaning products and a carpet cleaner and some distilled baby water along with new flavors of baby food to entice him as well. The vet said although heā€™s doing well he is potentially in the middle of the Parvo cycle, heā€™s pooping the lining of his intestines which the vet reassured that itā€™s just the virus coming out. Everything is in waves but Iā€™m really glad to have my mom here to assist as I finally got a flood sleep lol here he is this morning after we got back from the store.
9ea97b5ec4553dc3f4b6f415861ddaa7.jpg

45df81c583df8cac80b9208d21b690b4.jpg

b3314b43815be8c8c2f4c9c4f95627a3.jpg

So much baby food lol but if he needs it weā€™ll get it

WOW.... he looks good! Fantastic work ladies... you got this. Continued prayers to you all

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Yes not too much yogurt. Why I suggest Greek. Your vet is on the ball with you which is fantastic n reassuring. Even better youā€™re in the middle of the parvo so you got that half over with. Did the vet suggest to you what kind of cleanser they use at their clinic for parvo? I know being in the food industry n actually got inspected yesterday, first thing they look for n ask is whereā€™s the bleach. For parvo Iā€™m not sure. I would ask the vet cause you donā€™t want anything lingering. Just a thought. You guys are doing a great job!

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear

Yes not too much yogurt. Why I suggest Greek. Your vet is on the ball with you which is fantastic n reassuring. Even better youā€™re in the middle of the parvo so you got that half over with. Did the vet suggest to you what kind of cleanser they use at their clinic for parvo? I know being in the food industry n actually got inspected yesterday, first thing they look for n ask is whereā€™s the bleach. For parvo Iā€™m not sure. I would ask the vet cause you donā€™t want anything lingering. Just a thought. You guys are doing a great job!

Yes! Yesterday we bought and ordered cleaners, weā€™re completely paranoid and agree that nothing is too much for his safety especially since he can still contract other forms of parvo after all of this so yesterday we washed all of our sheets and blankets that touched him with the hottest setting on our washer with bleach washes in between we also vacuumed spot treated and carpet cleaned the rooms. The rest of the house is luckily laminate and because heā€™s not potty trained he really hasnā€™t been around the whole house, we mopped with boiling water and bleach the whole house. We also donā€™t think that was enough so we ordered two different cleaners to kill any left over traces, weā€™ll mop two more times when they come in and one of them can be used in the laundry and on surfaces so we donā€™t have to worry about the couch and under the coffee table where he likes to sleep. The vet has recommended the second one as it is basically a hospital disinfectant, Iā€™ll let you know how we like each.
241e34fddf21469caa7c65635bffb3f4.jpg

11b06fa2f8411450725d9358376559cc.jpg

And I completely understand this is probably overkill but if it keeps him safe till he is fully vaccinated then I donā€™t mind.

Members online

No members online now.