URGENT!!! Puppy diarrhea- Parvo case

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
So we got bear last Wednesday and he was sent with hills science diet puppy food for large breed, we ran out and went to the store for more. They only had the regular puppy food and assured us it wouldnā€™t upset his stomach, so we got it and have been feeding it to him for days. Today heā€™s had extremely bad diarrhea, enough to give my mom a major scare and sheā€™s calling the vet to set up a checkup on him, I just wanted to ask since I know vets arenā€™t always knowledgeable on animal nutrition and I trust first hand experience but should we put him back on the large breed puppy? Or should we keep him on the one now since heā€™s already been eating it for a little bit, Iā€™m worried about flip flopping his food and the affects it will have on his little stomach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Re: Puppy diarrhea

Did you switch from one kibble to the other from one day to the next or did you do a slow transition? Dogs do best if they are transitioned over, say a week, in which you add more and more of the new kibble and less and less of the new one. A quick transition can lead to an upset tummy.

We had to change kibble when Castor had just arrived and his stools were very runny indeed. Our vet told me to boil rice in lots of water for a long time (one hour or more and 3-4 times the usual amount of water) and towards the end add a little minced meat or white fish or chicken in shreds. Then let the rice soup cool (must be cold when served!) and serve a little at a time. The rice water helps stabilize the pup's tummy.

Having said this, good to check with the vet too. These tiny tummies are sensitive things, but from what you write it seems like the food switch might be the reason for his upset tummy.

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear

Did you switch from one kibble to the other from one day to the next or did you do a slow transition? Dogs do best if they are transitioned over, say a week, in which you add more and more of the new kibble and less and less of the new one. A quick transition can lead to an upset tummy.

We had to change kibble when Castor had just arrived and his stools were very runny indeed. Our vet told me to boil rice in lots of water for a long time (one hour or more and 3-4 times the usual amount of water) and towards the end add a little minced meat or white fish or chicken in shreds. Then let the rice soup cool (must be cold when served!) and serve a little at a time. The rice water helps stabilize the pup's tummy.

Having said this, good to check with the vet too. These tiny tummies are sensitive things, but from what you write it seems like the food switch might be the reason for his upset tummy.

Okay so awful news that honestly feels like a joke, we took him in and it turns out he has parvo, the vet was speaking to us about putting him down but I believe heā€™s a fighter and so we are taking him home to try and nurse him back to health. I wish this was a joke [emoji854]

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)

Okay so awful news that honestly feels like a joke, we took him in and it turns out he has parvo, the vet was speaking to us about putting him down but I believe heā€™s a fighter and so we are taking him home to try and nurse him back to health. I wish this was a joke [emoji854]

Oh dear, little Bear. Thank goodness you took him to the vet. Is he receiving any medicines? I don't know much about parvo but just read that it is essential to keep fluid and electrolyte levels stable. Hug your little bear - Castor sends his best wishes to the little pup. Please keep us posted.

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear

Oh dear, little Bear. Thank goodness you took him to the vet. Is he receiving any medicines? I don't know much about parvo but just read that it is essential to keep fluid and electrolyte levels stable. Hug your little bear - Castor sends his best wishes to the little pup. Please keep us posted.

Yes he is our vet is incredibly kind and on the ball she said itā€™s great we came in as soon as we did since he ate dinner and just started acting weird last night. We actually got a whole slew of medicine from the vet we opted to do it at home since itā€™s cheaper, Iā€™m home pretty much 24/7 anyway and I read how they do better when around family. I can send a photo of everything heā€™s getting if you are curious!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Yes he is our vet is incredibly kind and on the ball she said itā€™s great we came in as soon as we did since he ate dinner and just started acting weird last night. We actually got a whole slew of medicine from the vet we opted to do it at home since itā€™s cheaper, Iā€™m home pretty much 24/7 anyway and I read how they do better when around family. I can send a photo of everything heā€™s getting if you are curious!

oh. O! Parvovirus is very serious, sending prayers to you all and hoping he is doing well soon.
iā€™m sure the list is long of meds and such. I would avoid Hill, it changing foods at this time is probably not a good idea.
get him well and then think about either going raw or a high quality kibble.

please keep us posted

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear

oh. O! Parvovirus is very serious, sending prayers to you all and hoping he is doing well soon.
iā€™m sure the list is long of meds and such. I would avoid Hill, it changing foods at this time is probably not a good idea.
get him well and then think about either going raw or a high quality kibble.

please keep us posted

Yes thank you! Iā€™m kinda stressed out at the moment and heā€™s not eating any food at all, mostly being syringe fed baby food and lots of pedialyte and his meds, please keep up the prayers. Iā€™m just glad we got him to a vet as fast as we did.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Yes thank you! Iā€™m kinda stressed out at the moment and heā€™s not eating any food at all, mostly being syringe fed baby food and lots of pedialyte and his meds, please keep up the prayers. Iā€™m just glad we got him to a vet as fast as we did.

yes, timing was key at this point. He will most likely sleep a lot, but you need to keep him fed and meds going as directed.

šŸ™šŸ»šŸ™šŸ»šŸ™šŸ»

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear

yes, timing was key at this point. He will most likely sleep a lot, but you need to keep him fed and meds going as directed.

[emoji1317][emoji1317][emoji1317]

Iā€™ll definitely keep everybody updated since I really have no idea what Iā€™m doing but the vet has told me she will call every day to make sure heā€™s good and answer any questions so I am extremely grateful!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Iā€™ll definitely keep everybody updated since I really have no idea what Iā€™m doing but the vet has told me she will call every day to make sure heā€™s good and answer any questions so I am extremely grateful!

fantastic... keep track of any changes and record of what he eats so the vet can monitor progress

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear

fantastic... keep track of any changes and record of what he eats so the vet can monitor progress

Of course thank you for the tip!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

So we got bear last Wednesday and he was sent with hills science diet puppy food for large breed, we ran out and went to the store for more. They only had the regular puppy food and assured us it wouldnā€™t upset his stomach, so we got it and have been feeding it to him for days. Today heā€™s had extremely bad diarrhea, enough to give my mom a major scare and sheā€™s calling the vet to set up a checkup on him, I just wanted to ask since I know vets arenā€™t always knowledgeable on animal nutrition and I trust first hand experience but should we put him back on the large breed puppy? Or should we keep him on the one now since heā€™s already been eating it for a little bit, Iā€™m worried about flip flopping his food and the affects it will have on his little stomach.

I know a couple owners that did what youā€™re doing. At home version. First would be a bland diet. Science Hill will definitely not help. If the vet gave you antibiotics keep him on it along with nausea meds. Severely dehydrated is what you need to be on top of. He needs to drink a lot of water or even better buy distilled water cause it has minerals in it.

Hereā€™s a link that might help you since youā€™re doing it yourself at home. Read it over. Again dont forget the water as diarrhea n vomiting will drain all fluids in him.

https://bullyade.com/parvo-home-treatment/

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Of course thank you for the tip!!

sorry.. not trying to be a pain, but fluids are key, keep him as hydrated as you can.

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear

sorry.. not trying to be a pain, but guilds are key, keep him as hydrated as you can.

No honestly I really appreciate the care, we live in Houston and my moms going to Dallas for a few days tomorrow and it will just be me helping him so Iā€™m a little nervous!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

No honestly I really appreciate the care, we live in Houston and my moms going to Dallas for a few days tomorrow and it will just be me helping him so Iā€™m a little nervous!

Try not to be nervous, dogs pick up on our emotions so try to stay calm. Is your vet 24/7, if not just in case find one that is so if needed you can get there or call them.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.