URGENT!!! 5 week old puppy's back legs

Monster

Mar 8, 2021
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Hi!

I'm about to view and hopefully put a deposit down on a then 6 week old puppy (she is just over 5 weeks now)

The breeder has sent me many photos and a few videos however in a lot of the photos she's sitting like a lizard. Her leg sometimes sticks out too when she's sitting in the position mirroring an archer squat stance.

Is this something to be concerned about please?

Thanks in advance!

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Hi!

I'm about to view and hopefully put a deposit down on a then 6 week old puppy (she is just over 5 weeks now)

The breeder has sent me many photos and a few videos however in a lot of the photos she's sitting like a lizard. Her leg sometimes sticks out too when she's sitting in the position mirroring an archer squat stance.

Is this something to be concerned about please?

Thanks in advance!

Can you post a photo of the puppy in regards to what you are referencing? It'll help with better responses and answers if there's a reason to be concerned or not. Bulldogs do sit differently than most dogs depending on how they're sitting. My girl will sometimes sit off to one side with her back legs crossed sticking out opposite the side her weight is distributed on. I've never had another breed sit that way.

OP
M

Monster

Mar 8, 2021
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Can you post a photo of the puppy in regards to what you are referencing? It'll help with better responses and answers if there's a reason to be concerned or not. Bulldogs do sit differently than most dogs depending on how they're sitting. My girl will sometimes sit off to one side with her back legs crossed sticking out opposite the side her weight is distributed on. I've never had another breed sit that way.

Thank you for responding!

I've just added 2 photos showing the lizard position and the archer squat stance

Attachments

• 20210308_122023.jpg
    20210308_122023.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 549
  • 20210308_122003.jpg
    20210308_122003.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 447

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A

I've just added 2 photos showing the lizard position and the archer squat stance

Awe what a cutie! I am not experienced with bully puppies and have only been a bulldog mom since January (adopted a 6 almost 7 year old breeder surrender from a local rescue) but you are definitely in the right place to get responses and answers from others with extensive knowledge and experiences. I wish I knew how to tag other members to get you responses quicker.

OP
M

Monster

Mar 8, 2021
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Awe what a cutie! I am not experienced with bully puppies and have only been a bulldog mom since January (adopted a 6 almost 7 year old breeder surrender from a local rescue) but you are definitely in the right place to get responses and answers from others with extensive knowledge and experiences. I wish I knew how to tag other members to get you responses quicker.

No problem thank you for responding anyway! That's lovely of you to adopt an older one, I will probably do so in the future too but for my first Bulldog I wanted one from a puppy as I want to see her grow up!

She is so lovely I will give you that! The breeder is too and I will mention this to her but I've been bugging her so much recently that I wanted to give her a little rest from, you know, me!

Thank you for your time and fingers crossed someone responds!

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
No problem thank you for responding anyway! That's lovely of you to adopt an older one, I will probably do so in the future too but for my first Bulldog I wanted one from a puppy as I want to see her grow up!

She is so lovely I will give you that! The breeder is too and I will mention this to her but I've been bugging her so much recently that I wanted to give her a little rest from, you know, me!

Thank you for your time and fingers crossed someone responds!

You'll get responses trust me. It may take a few hours, but they'll come. This forum is full of amazing and friendly people, I'm so glad I found it and joined. I've received a lot of help and advice here for my girl and me lol.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I don't see a problem w/the way that she is sitting... I would request a video of her walking, or attempting to walk.

Sometimes bulldogs puppies need help when they start to walk... we used egg crate foam to help our litter strengthen their leg muscles while they learned to walk. This prevents what they term "swimmer" puppies... which by the way is treatable, it just takes some time to work with them.

OP
M

Monster

Mar 8, 2021
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
I don't see a problem w/the way that she is sitting... I would request a video of her walking, or attempting to walk.

Sometimes bulldogs puppies need help when they start to walk... we used egg crate foam to help our litter strengthen their leg muscles while they learned to walk. This prevents what they term "swimmer" puppies... which by the way is treatable, it just takes some time to work with them.

I have seen her walking and though not graceful whatsoever, she could move quite freely but she has only turned 5 weeks. I'm guessing that in a couple of weeks she'll be running all over the place, at the moment all she likes doing is nibbling!

OP
M

Monster

Mar 8, 2021
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
You'll get responses trust me. It may take a few hours, but they'll come. This forum is full of amazing and friendly people, I'm so glad I found it and joined. I've received a lot of help and advice here for my girl and me lol.

Thank you for the words of recommendation!!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
puppies sit and lay down in all kinds of strange positions. I wouldn't be too concerned at this point. I can tell you this however...this puppy has an almost perfect stinger tail.
Lucky YOU!

OP
M

Monster

Mar 8, 2021
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
puppies sit and lay down in all kinds of strange positions. I wouldn't be too concerned at this point. I can tell you this however...this puppy has an almost perfect stinger tail.
Lucky YOU!

Thank you so much! Me and my husband both said it was a lovely looking tail!

Glad to hear that there is likely no problem, she's going to be our first bulldog and it's easy to panic and worry at this stage!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agreed... she is a baby and they sit all strange manners.

Ow we need more pictures

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.