Puppy hernia! Thoughts and advice please.

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
We have just had a call from the breeder who has just been to the vets with the pups for their final check up and she has informed us that Wesley has a small hernia which her vet has said should not be a problem at all but “may” need a small corrective surgery if there is any problem when he is older.

I have done a search on the forum and read previous posts and know some of the members have encountered this but would just like confirmation (or not ) on what we are thinking, which is that these are quite common and hopefully should not get worse and may even disappear.

Obviously we have already fallen in love with Wesley over the last few weeks of zoom calls and the thought of not picking him up on Sunday is unthinkable now :no:

Thanks as always for your thoughts and advice.

Simon.

681B7A26-91AE-49B5-BBD7-46C8E54A3CCC.jpeg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
One of our pups had a small hernia at that age, and we just waited it out till they got older... and it was fine. NO surgeries needed, just time... I hope this eases your mind. Wesley is adorable, and I can't wait to see more of him :heart:

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
One of our pups had a small hernia at that age, and we just waited it out till they got older... and it was fine. NO surgeries needed, just time... I hope this eases your mind. Wesley is adorable, and I can't wait to see more of him :heart:

Thanks ddnene that does help :yes:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@Zedsded I have had two pups that had umbilical hernia. I took a quarter and put it on the hernia(pushing it in) and put a square gauze piece and wrapped vet wrap around the pup, to keep it in place. It stayed in place, and I would redo it occasionally to check on it, or if it got dirty. It eventually closed up and never returned. I even did it to one of my sons that had an umbilical hernia,which closed up. (I was a "do it yourself" mom-unless it was life threatening!):)

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
@Zedsded I have had two pups that had umbilical hernia. I took a quarter and put it on the hernia(pushing it in) and put a square gauze piece and wrapped vet wrap around the pup, to keep it in place. It stayed in place, and I would redo it occasionally to check on it, or if it got dirty. It eventually closed up and never returned. I even did it to one of my sons that had an umbilical hernia,which closed up. (I was a "do it yourself" mom-unless it was life threatening!):)

Thanks again for the advice :) you really were a “hands on” mum :yes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks again for the advice :) you really were a “hands on” mum :yes:
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] is amazing... her knowledge is almost unlimited!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] I wouldn't go THAT far. You know what "they" say(whoever they are) necessity is the mother of invention!

But I forgot to mention [MENTION=13960]Zedsded[/MENTION] If it is a small hernia(the ones they say will probably close up.)

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
I don't know much about hernia's except that when Stella went in to get fixed, they repaired a hernia at the same time. I can't recall now if I even knew of it beforehand.
I wish I'd known more about the potential for it to heal on it's own. She did fine with the surgery and it has never caused issues since, that i am aware of, but the bump the surgery left behind is pretty big in my opinion.
At least on her. Not sure if they could have done a better job, or if the bump is normal.

I wish I could offer some advice. I will say, if I had to do it over again, i would have let it heal up on it's own if it was an option. Now she just has a really big bump on her belly.

I am sure you will make the right choice. I know you love your new baby already. Whether you do the surgery or not, i don't think this will be something to deter you from picking up Wesley, your new bundle of joy. :heart:

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone for the replies, we have spoken to our vet today about Wesley’s hernia and shown him the photos.

He pretty much confirmed what we were thinking that in an ideal world you would not pick a pup with a hernia BUT under the present circumstances it wouldn’t stop him keeping Wesley.

He will be having a check up with our vet a week after we bring him home and will have a proper look at him. He did say it could hopefully heal ok without surgery and that we would just be monitoring it for a few months to make sure it didn’t get any bigger and hopefully may get smaller.

If it does need surgery (fingers crossed it doesn’t) we will cross that bridge when we come to and obviously we would never want to have the surgery but understand that it should be a very small procedure.

We bring him home on Sunday :D

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.