Allergies and Benadryl

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
Hey there eveyone! I know this has probably already been discussed on here but Roxi's allergies are starting to get to her (more me though than her I think:eek:).

She is scratching her ears/face and her eyes are red/watery and it seems like I am constantly drying her wrinkles because they are damp. She is eating Nature's Logic-Beef currently and has been doing great on it the last month or so and I'm almost positive it isn't a food allergy.

Our area is EXTREMELY high in pollen right now!!!:eek:

What do you all do for your bully's allergies?
Do you give benadryl? If so how much? How often?
Have any other solutions to seasonal allergies?

I just don't want her to feel miserable because I know how I feel when
I don't have my allergy meds! :bang:

Thank you!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi[MENTION=1704]RoxiBear[/MENTION]..I used benadryl just the other day when Jake got stung by a bee. Vet told me 1 Childs benadryl or 1/2 adult pill. She said every 12 hours..until swelling gone. I am sorry..I don't know what dosage would be for ongoing allergies..but you could safely start with this and I am sure someone here will know. Jake is almost 5 months old and weighs 27 lbs..for comparison in dosage..

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hello! Duke has allergies as well. We had him tested and he is allergic to wool and mold ( go figure? :confused:)... in any case we took him to a dermatologist who suggested Zyrtec vs. benadryl for Duke? he told us is will not dry his eye like the benadryl.. we give him double the adult dose ( per his instructions ) so he gets two tablets once every 24 hours as needed. It works well for him . He is 3 and 1/2 and weighs 55 pounds.

we also give duke fish oil.. its called Aller-G if you google this you can purchase on amazon Aller G-3 Capsules by Vet Solutions
this really helps with their coat , their immune system and the itchies

Hope this helps. sorry I am unsure about the dosage for the benadry ( don't want to tell you the wrong thing )

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Hello! Duke has allergies as well. We had him tested and he is allergic to wool and mold ( go figure? :confused:)... in any case we took him to a dermatologist who suggested Zyrtec vs. benadryl for Duke? he told us is will not dry his eye like the benadryl.. we give him double the adult dose ( per his instructions ) so he gets two tablets once every 24 hours as needed. It works well for him . He is 3 and 1/2 and weighs 55 pounds.

we also give duke fish oil.. its called Aller-G if you google this you can purchase on amazon Aller G-3 Capsules by Vet Solutions
this really helps with their coat , their immune system and the itchies

Hope this helps. sorry I am unsure about the dosage for the benadry ( don't want to tell you the wrong thing )

Interesting. I might ask my vet about Zyrtec for Linus. His allergies have just been terrible lately - we have all the wildflowers blooming and it has also been windy so he's been very congested. I currently give Linus one Benadryl when his allergies flare up. He weighs 77 pounds and I give the same dose for my little one, Truman, who is 50 pounds.

My vet said I can safely give 1 mg of Benadryl per 1 pound of body weight of the dog, every eight hours. One adult Benadryl is 25 mg but I usually just give one - though it's nearly impossible to overdose on Benadryl.

sowdie

May 27, 2010
MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
When I was giving Lola Benadryl, it was 50mg twice a day. It didn't seem to do much for her itching though

sowdie

May 27, 2010
MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Also, maybe try looking into Dinovite. I can't say for sure that it alone has helped Lola, but the combination we have her on now (raw meat patties, frozen veggies, dinovite, and salmon oil) has done wonders for her. She's not allergy free, but she's in much better shape these days.

Bennson

Jun 9, 2011
USA
There are five types of allergies which can affect bulldog.The most common symptom of allergy is itching. The dog may also cough, sneeze and wheeze due to a respiratory allergy. If the digestive system is is affected, it will lead to vomiting and diarrhea.When ever you find these symptoms then be aware these are symptoms of this allergy called itching.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nytejagldy

Oct 12, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bevo
My bully has had a runny nose and sneezing. We live in Texas, where all kind of allergies are around us. Trust me I know...Never had allergies till I moved to Texas and am on allergies meds almost all year long. From the posts here I see where Benadryl might help my Bevo. Thanks for the info

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.