Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
97A0751B-1EE7-4DF6-B01D-77166124291F.jpeg
THE INVISIBLE SLIMY MONSTER IN THE WATER BOWL
Ever rub your fingers on the inside of your pet's water bowl and you feel a slippery slime of sorts? Well that invisible goo is called Biofilm.
Biofilm is a collection of organic and inorganic, living and dead materials collected on a surface. It is made up of many different types of bacteria bound together in a thick substance that acts as a glue to both hold the bacteria together and adhere it to a surface.
Biofilm can often be good bacteria but there is also the bad!
Biofilms provide a safe haven for organisms like Listeria, E. coli and legionella where they can reproduce to levels where contamination of products passing through that water becomes inevitable.
Bad Biofilms have been found to be involved in a wide variety of microbial infections in the body such as urinary tract infections, middle-ear infections and bladder infections.
Many pet parents are guilty of simply refilling the water bowl over and over without a wash and this becomes a wonderful environment for biofilm to soak around in.
How to reduce Biofilm:
Remember to clean your pet’s water bowl at least once a week if you can and change water daily.
For pet daycares where a host of different bacteria float around in water bowls, wash daily!
For best results, run your water bowls through a hot cycle in the dishwasher with an eco friendly, non-toxic soap to really clean out the biofilm!

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
I used to notice this on Dudleys bowl, only red hot water and soap would remove it!

jsygrls

Jul 17, 2020
Port Orange Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Charles Barkley aka "Bubba"
Thanks so much for the helpful information on SLIME.......I have noticed it on water bowls and was curious. I also wash daily with hot water and soap.

tigertanktoo

Mar 31, 2019
SW Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gabe - EBD 7 yrs old and Charlie - Cockerspaniel 15 yrs old
Both my boys bowls get that. We rinse them all with hot water after every feeding and wash them weekly. Bulldogs are slimy little buggers. Gotta love em.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My "pups" have two water bowls. One in bedroom and one in kitchen. They are washed everyday, and clean water filled.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
always have cleaned or bowls daily... fresh water sometimes twice a day

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
A raw diet, I use very hot water/soap daily to wash everything then at night in the dishwasher even their little stand. Jake eats like a slob.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.