Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Excellent! This is great news.
When she starts to wake up she’ll be very thirsty. Do not let her drink more than a few ounces at a time. A couple ozs every hour or so is plenty.
Too much water at one time can cause her to toss it back up and possibly aspirate. Even with light sedation her digestive tract may take a while to wake up.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Now that’s great news momma!! Joey is in good hands & our baby girl will recover faster than you think.
Great advice from Chip on water!!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Excellent! This is great news.
When she starts to wake up she’ll be very thirsty. Do not let her drink more than a few ounces at a time. A couple ozs every hour or so is plenty.
Too much water at one time can cause her to toss it back up and possibly aspirate. Even with light sedation her digestive tract may take a while to wake up.

Thank you so much!!!!! You're advice and support mean so much to Joey and I, thank you, thank you, thank you!! Water has been being rationed. I got half a Rimadyl tablet into her around 2pm, it really seems to help. Doc said half twice a day until follow up, BUT maybe won't need it for long........we'll see.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Now that’s great news momma!! Joey is in good hands & our baby girl will recover faster than you think.
Great advice from Chip on water!!

Thank you Helene!!!! I pray that you're right on the recovery time, knowing you....you are spot on :) You're always so quick to help and we've appreciated that about you for the last 5 years!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you Helene!!!! I pray that you're right on the recovery time, knowing you....you are spot on :) You're always so quick to help and we've appreciated that about you for the last 5 years!!

Oh, why thank you! I just like helping people. Raised by a great mom. :yes:

But yes, Joey’s going to be ok. True anything can happen but overall she never had any serious health issues so she has a good little system plus she’s still our perky little girl. As we say, “ Time will heal”

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Just checking in to see how Joey and you are doing today. I guess she's asleep as it's early morning in your time zone (midday here and Castor is still asleep as he stayed up way past his bed time to watch the news last night).

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Doc said half twice a day until follow up, BUT maybe won't need it for long........we'll see.
Do not stray from "Doc" orders. The rimadyl is what will keep her comfy and minimize the potential of that eye bothering her. Stay ahead of possible discomfort by dosing regularly. You don't want her to start pawing at it or rubbing it against something; floor, furniture, wall, you.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Do not stray from "Doc" orders. The rimadyl is what will keep her comfy and minimize the potential of that eye bothering her. Stay ahead of possible discomfort by dosing regularly. You don't want her to start pawing at it or rubbing it against something; floor, furniture, wall, you.

Will do....understood, thank you! Twice per day it is :)

QUESTION, she has not had a BM since Tuesday. She has been eating great since yesterday morning, her kibble, a smidge of pumpkin (not something she normally gets), and a dusting of cheese. Is the delayed BM normal?

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Sue, not sure about dogs but for people delayed bm and constipation after anesthesia is common. Maybe don’t give the pumpkin???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Just checking in to see how Joey and you are doing today. I guess she's asleep as it's early morning in your time zone (midday here and Castor is still asleep as he stayed up way past his bed time to watch the news last night).

Hi there! We both got a wonderful, restful night sleep. She ate as normal this morning and even played some last evening which made me very happy!! Joey will normally sleep in well past me but the last few days she is ready to get out of bed when I get up (early). Hope the news did not scare Castor.....I had to turn it off.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Sue, not sure about dogs but for people delayed bm and constipation after anesthesia is common. Maybe don’t give the pumpkin???

Hi there, thank you! I will stop the pumpkin. I looked and Rimadyl (on for pain until Tuesday) could also cause constipation but can also cause loose stools, so.......probably like you say, the anesthesia. She's drinking as normal, maybe more play time today if she wants :)

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Sue.. I will pray for poop! Hahahaha!!! Only one of us would probably say that! [emoji1787]

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Is the delayed BM normal?
Yep...sure is. Did the Vet request a fasting before the surgery? If so, then that coupled with the anesthesia and rimadyl will have her irregular for a few days. And like Theresa said, probably no need for the pumpkin.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Yep...sure is. Did the Vet request a fasting before the surgery? If so, then that coupled with the anesthesia and rimadyl will have her irregular for a few days. And like Theresa said, probably no need for the pumpkin.

Thank you! Yes, the Vet said that she could have a drink and SMALL portion of kibble by 630am the day of, she drank nothing and ate maybe a handful. Nothing again until the next morning. Following Theresa's advice and have stopped the pumpkin. I will continue on with just her normal, everyday diet.

Thanks, as usual friend!

- - - Updated - - -

Sue.. I will pray for poop! Hahahaha!!! Only one of us would probably say that! [emoji1787]

OMGosh right? LOL

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online