1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I had previously mentioned in another thread after winning the Turkey Leg contest that Buster was limping on that leg. We went to the vet yesterday and he has a partial ACL tear. We are not doing surgery at this point. We are trying to keep him as quiet as possible and he is to continue on Rimadyl for a couple of weeks and then see how it goes. :pray:

After looking online, I have seen knee braces for dogs as an aid for this and wonder if anyone has had any experience with them? I am going to email the vet and ask for his opinion too.

He does have to lose some weight. Like his mother (me) he has the Covid weight gain and needs to lose about 7 lbs as he is now 67lbs. He has a nice waist but is much stockier than Monty was, short and squat. He will now get 1/2 cup twice a day with veggie toppers instead of 3/4 cup. Poor dog!

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Sorry to hear about Buster :( they do like to keep us worrying these dogs :)

As for leg braces all i can say is that when Dudley first had acl problems and we were trying not to go down the surgery route because at the time it wasn't causing him too much trouble, we asked the vet about various brace options and he advised us against it because he said it may cause the muscle in the leg to slightly weaken as it relies more on the brace.

Hope Buster gets better soon.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Sorry to hear about Buster :( they do like to keep us worrying these dogs :)

As for leg braces all i can say is that when Dudley first had acl problems and we were trying not to go down the surgery route because at the time it wasn't causing him too much trouble, we asked the vet about various brace options and he advised us against it because he said it may cause the muscle in the leg to slightly weaken as it relies more on the brace.

Hope Buster gets better soon.

Thank you. That is good info. The one I was looking at wasn't rigid at all, more like an elasticized human knee support that I would wear when my knee starts to hurt. He is doing OK, very unhappy that he can't get on my lap. We just don't want to go the surgery route unless really necessary as it often happens that the other knee goes not too long after! A year in the case of our American Bulldog! It's always something as you say!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor Buster! Rest up and sending healing prayers your way.

No experience with a brace for pups... heard of them but know of no one that has used them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
:) They do love there cuddles, thats why we love them, we spent 3 months sat on the floor on a blow up camping bed after Dudley had his acl surgery just so he wouldn’t try to climb on the sofa and could lay on our lap on the floor :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry for Buster... and I don't have an info on the brace. Poor guy...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION] Most articles that I have read, recommend a surgery. A few say that if a person does decide to try a brace, or support, to use massage,and/or swimming in pool, so the muscle does not atrophy.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
:) They do love there cuddles, thats why we love them, we spent 3 months sat on the floor on a blow up camping bed after Dudley had his acl surgery just so he wouldn’t try to climb on the sofa and could lay on our lap on the floor :)

I spent 5 years of sitting on the floor in the evenings with Monty! He couldn't jump and demanded cuddles! I wouldn't have traded that time for the world. It didn't do my knees any good at all!

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
I heard back from our vet and he does not recommend any type of knee support. He said he is not familiar with any study done on the subject so we are ruling that out. I am going to do research and see what else we can do for him if anything via supplements.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
He does have to lose some weight. Like his mother (me) he has the Covid weight gain and needs to lose about 7 lbs as he is now 67lbs. He has a nice waist but is much stockier than Monty was, short and squat. He will now get 1/2 cup twice a day with veggie toppers instead of 3/4 cup. Poor dog!

We can relate - Castor and I have also put on some Covid kilos...

Sending our best wishes to Buster and his leg.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Poor baby....
My husband took our king sized bed apart and put it mattress and box spring on the floor when Bella just hurt her leg one time! (Believe me it wasn’t an easy job either!) [emoji1787]
What we do for these furbabies of ours!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Poor baby....
My husband took our king sized bed apart and put it mattress on the floor when Bella just hurt her leg one time! (Believe me it wasn’t an easy job either!) [emoji1787]
What we do for these furbabies of ours!!

I’ve slept on the floor and couch plenty of times with my guys!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I heard back from our vet and he does not recommend any type of knee support. He said he is not familiar with any study done on the subject so we are ruling that out. I am going to do research and see what else we can do for him if anything via supplements.

Does Buster have any knee swelling, pain around the knee joint or buckling or giving out of the knee?

Time being, get some frankincense essential oil n massage directly on the injured area. Morning, mid afternoon noon n before bed. [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] can suggest also a cbc oil she gives Jax. :yes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Turmeric paste! I use it for Cheli’s back issues, I see a difference if I miss giving it

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Does Buster have any knee swelling, pain around the knee joint or buckling or giving out of the knee?

Time being, get some frankincense essential oil n massage directly on the injured area. Morning, mid afternoon noon n before bed. [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] can suggest also a cbc oil she gives Jax. :yes:

It kind of buckles. He doesn't carry it at all. I will check out Frankincense oil tomorrow, thanks.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.