Help Needed! My dog has anal gland issues?

vha91

May 8, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bear
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone's bully has ever had the same issue my dog currently has. If you look at the picture below you can see she has blood/pus coming out around her anal area. You can't see it in the picture but there is also some blood coming out of her tail pocket area also.

I have tried multiple things for a couple of months now and it seems like it won't heal. Some of the things I have tried is thoroughly cleaning it with her soap that I have been showering her with for years now. After, I put Iodine on it and then dry it after. I did that for a couple of weeks and did not see any real results so I started adding Desitin after applying the iodine to help the area be free from moisture. That seemed to help for a while but it is now coming back.

FYI, this was actually very bad about 5 months ago so bad that she would scoot her butt until it became raw and opened so much wounds and got very infected I had no choice but to take her to the vet. The vet was able to disinfect and clean the area and it healed and became much better. But, it looks like it never got to heal completely. The Vet also prescribed Amoxicillin which is supposed to help with her infection. I gave her the medicine for about a month and cleaned and dry the area whenever needed but it never completely healed the area.

The Vet mentioned that if it never heals we may have to cut the tail off, but I don't know if that is a good idea? If you guys can please help me out I would appreciate I am stuck on what to try next. BTW, does anyone know of a good English Bulldog Vet in Southern California? I would like to get a second opinion on this.

Thanks everyone!

P.S. Sorry for poop residue in the picture I promise I wiped it after I took the picture!

Bear Anal Gland Pic.jpeg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My Walter has this issue... in fact he went thru a horrible bought the first time, and had blood covering his rear-end (just like your pic). Did the vet ever shave the area? I would say that removing the hair would help to keep it clean, and keeping it dry w/Gold's Bond powder or something like that after cleaning the area. I don't understand why tail removal would be an option... unless he has an issue w/the tail pocket. From the pic it just looks like his anal gland area.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It looks like it has abcessed. Looking like the pus is draining alongside the anal opening. I have had a couple of dogs over the years who had this problem. What I had to do was flush the area,in and out, with saline solution. use hot compresses,,dry area, use an antibiotic ointment on the area, and give oral antibiotics and more fiber in diet. This has to be done faithfully. Some vets check thyroid, saying it could be a low thyroid problem, but mine didn't. Being pretty vigilent with this, solved it for my dogs.
The most drastic would be remove the glands but that could cause more problems like no control or loose.

**Actually I just took a second look at larger photo. Is it her anal glands, or actually under her tail, and not the anal? I may be seeing wrong....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone's bully has ever had the same issue my dog currently has. If you look at the picture below you can see she has blood/pus coming out around her anal area. You can't see it in the picture but there is also some blood coming out of her tail pocket area also.

I have tried multiple things for a couple of months now and it seems like it won't heal. Some of the things I have tried is thoroughly cleaning it with her soap that I have been showering her with for years now. After, I put Iodine on it and then dry it after. I did that for a couple of weeks and did not see any real results so I started adding Desitin after applying the iodine to help the area be free from moisture. That seemed to help for a while but it is now coming back.

FYI, this was actually very bad about 5 months ago so bad that she would scoot her butt until it became raw and opened so much wounds and got very infected I had no choice but to take her to the vet. The vet was able to disinfect and clean the area and it healed and became much better. But, it looks like it never got to heal completely. The Vet also prescribed Amoxicillin which is supposed to help with her infection. I gave her the medicine for about a month and cleaned and dry the area whenever needed but it never completely healed the area.

The Vet mentioned that if it never heals we may have to cut the tail off, but I don't know if that is a good idea? If you guys can please help me out I would appreciate I am stuck on what to try next. BTW, does anyone know of a good English Bulldog Vet in Southern California? I would like to get a second opinion on this.

Thanks everyone!

P.S. Sorry for poop residue in the picture I promise I wiped it after I took the picture!

View attachment 120021

That is a nbad infection, that might be deep inside and spreading. It happen to use with Lambeau, had his tail removed and never another infection, his tail was growing back into his body and the infection was inside and we did not see it till it was spreading which happened really fast.

Here is a link to member recommended vet.... there are a few in SoCAl. Good luck and please keep us posted.

English Bulldog News Forums - English Bulldog News Recommended English Bulldog Veterinarians

OP
V

vha91

May 8, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bear
It looks like it has abcessed. Looking like the pus is draining alongside the anal opening. I have had a couple of dogs over the years who had this problem. What I had to do was flush the area,in and out, with saline solution. use hot compresses,,dry area, use an antibiotic ointment on the area, and give oral antibiotics and more fiber in diet. This has to be done faithfully. Some vets check thyroid, saying it could be a low thyroid problem, but mine didn't. Being pretty vigilent with this, solved it for my dogs.
The most drastic would be remove the glands but that could cause more problems like no control or loose.

**Actually I just took a second look at larger photo. Is it her anal glands, or actually under her tail, and not the anal? I may be seeing wrong....

It looks like her anal gland area and you cant see in the picture but for sure inside her tail pocket.

OP
V

vha91

May 8, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bear
My Walter has this issue... in fact he went thru a horrible bought the first time, and had blood covering his rear-end (just like your pic). Did the vet ever shave the area? I would say that removing the hair would help to keep it clean, and keeping it dry w/Gold's Bond powder or something like that after cleaning the area. I don't understand why tail removal would be an option... unless he has an issue w/the tail pocket. From the pic it just looks like his anal gland area.

It's actually also happening in the tail pocket but you can't see it in the picture.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It's actually also happening in the tail pocket but you can't see it in the picture.

Please keep us posted, after seeing a new vet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.