mullinbubba

Oct 4, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
otis
Hi. My dog, Otis, has urate stones. He had two surgeries to remove them recently and I found out last week that some stones are back. I switched to Hills U/D and more water intake with food. I'm desperate to find anything else that will help him to avoid surgeries. Clearly, he cant have surgery every two months. I want some raw food options to add to his Hills U/D diet. I've been researching online and I see that they can have bananas, apples and pumpkin? All of these options are low in purines. Can these raw foods help with dissolving stones? Is it okay to give him these foods? I'm so scared to give him anything because I don't want to make it worse. otis otis otis.png

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged a few members with experience... [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
There are many brands of commercial dog food that make available varieties of their food that are formulated with low purine content specifically for dogs that have or have had urate stones. These formulas contain low amounts or no amounts of meat, beef and meat- or beef-"by-products" that can cause abnormally high acidic urine in bulldogs. These dietary formulas consist of low purine foods like eggs and most vegetables and fruit.
For homemade dogfood, use eggs and cottage cheese as the protein base. Low purine meats such as chicken and whitefish can be fed occasionally. Avoid high purine food such as organ meats, gravies, legumes and canned or fresh seafood. Low purine foods such as rice, pasta and vegetables (not including aparagus, spinach, cauliflower or green peas) and low fiber or refined grain breads and cereals can be used. Mash the ingredients together, pureeing the vegetables or grain additions to make a food suitable for your dog. Practice and experimentation will result in a formula that your dog will enjoy.
Adequate fresh water is also important for the bulldog's urinary tract health. Be certain the dog has plenty of fresh, clean water always available.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] has got you covered with food. I would also advice to buy an electrical pH meter and test his urine. First daily to get the pH leveled around 7-7,5. Urate stones form in acidic urine so it's importand to make it alkaline. Baking powder will raise pH and you should give it to him 3 times a day. Starting with 1/2 teaspoon while monitoring his urine. When you reach a good level, continue with that dose. Then you can stop taking the pH every day, weekly or even monthly will be enough. If you make any alterations to his diet start monitoring his urine again daily to know if it has effect.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
@Manydogs has got you covered with food. I would also advice to buy an electrical pH meter and test his urine. First daily to get the pH leveled around 7-7,5. Urate stones form in acidic urine so it's importand to make it alkaline. Baking powder will raise pH and you should give it to him 3 times a day. Starting with 1/2 teaspoon while monitoring his urine. When you reach a good level, continue with that dose. Then you can stop taking the pH every day, weekly or even monthly will be enough. If you make any alterations to his diet start monitoring his urine again daily to know if it has effect.

Just a quick question here - do you mean ordinary baking powder? Half a tea spoon three times a day sounds like a lot of baking powder for a bulldog tummy??

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Just a quick question here - do you mean ordinary baking powder? Half a tea spoon three times a day sounds like a lot of baking powder for a bulldog tummy??

Yes, ordinary baking powder. I use to give almost a teaspoon to my late Usko approx every 8 hours to keep his urine pH at 7.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Yes, ordinary baking powder. I use to give almost a teaspoon to my late Usko approx every 8 hours to keep his urine pH at 7.

OK, thanks!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.