Need help now!!!!!

TooTooMommy

Jun 17, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meaty, Sophie, & sometimes fosters
Aww!! I was getting worried until I read your wonder-bull update !!! Sooo happy he's okay !!!:pray2:
And I LOVE that you were prepared with TWO collars !!! That is the kind of thing I do, too!

I do have a question, though.....After our Meaty was neutered and Sophie was spayed, we didn't
use cones/collars since bulldogs *usually* can't physically reach those areas on their own. I'm so curious if
any bulldog owners have had ones that could actually lick their incisions/ staples in that area?

TooTooMommy

Jun 17, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meaty, Sophie, & sometimes fosters
Glad heā€™s doing great!! Takes a good 10days.. if heā€™s on antibiotics, try giving him fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies in the fridge section. Antibiotics always kills the gut flora so fermented food will keep it going. :)

Yassss !!!! Ugh, I wish every vet (AND "hooman" doctor) would educate everybully about this!!!
It's horri-bull how many people / animals suffer from a secondary yeast infection because they
didn't know antibiotics kill our good gut flora. WHHHY do they not tell patients this? One time I nicely asked our vet if we could give probiotics while our doggies were on antibiotics,
and he looked at me as though I were crazy....seriously???

I've had multiple "hooman" female friends vent that they ended up with a horrible yeast infection while taking antibiotics, and NO ONE at their doctor's office warned them or suggested things they could eat to avoid a super-infection ....ugh !!! :evil:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=16009]TooTooMommy[/MENTION]. Vet schools donā€™t teach about food, nor vasectomies or tying tubes etc. like a doctor, they know noting of meds or food as theyā€™re taught the basics in meds but a pharmacist, yes thatā€™s the person you want to talk to as itā€™s them that tells doctors about meds. I know a few doctors n they did say the same they get free samples with info or they go to Pharmaceutical seminars etc.. nowadays we have the internet so easier to look up. But yes definitely vets are not there to tell you about probiotics. If you have a healthy dog they wonā€™t make any $$$. Sadly itā€™s up to us to educate ourselves n take over. Iā€™ve personally never given any of my dogs all the annually shots recommended. They got it as pups from the breeders but thatā€™s it. Iā€™m not saying to anyone not to go for shots but I donā€™t. A healthy body falls under the diet a pet will eat just like humans.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
@TooTooMommy. Vet schools donā€™t teach about food, nor vasectomies or tying tubes etc. like a doctor, they know noting of meds or food as theyā€™re taught the basics in meds but a pharmacist, yes thatā€™s the person you want to talk to as itā€™s them that tells doctors about meds. I know a few doctors n they did say the same they get free samples with info or they go to Pharmaceutical seminars etc.. nowadays we have the internet so easier to look up. But yes definitely vets are not there to tell you about probiotics. If you have a healthy dog they wonā€™t make any $$$. Sadly itā€™s up to us to educate ourselves n take over. Iā€™ve personally never given any of my dogs all the annually shots recommended. They got it as pups from the breeders but thatā€™s it. Iā€™m not saying to anyone not to go for shots but I donā€™t. A healthy body falls under the diet a pet will eat just like humans.

I'm with you on the shots. My dogs get the rabies shots because it's required by law but that's pretty much it.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I do have a question, though.....After our Meaty was neutered and Sophie was spayed, we didn't
use cones/collars since bulldogs *usually* can't physically reach those areas on their own. I'm so curious if
any bulldog owners have had ones that could actually lick their incisions/ staples in that area?
I would think the cone was more about the duclaw excision than the neuter.

OP
AceRN

AceRN

Jun 17, 2020
Florida
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Edison Fitzgerald
Thanks for the information, but will he get diarrhea from it? He has only had bland ā€œpeopleā€ food so far... what about yogurt? I know it has lactobacillus. Any other foods to offer? Fermented food will have a high yeast content. I thought with bullies you had to watch for extra air in the gut, so to speak....

OP
AceRN

AceRN

Jun 17, 2020
Florida
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Edison Fitzgerald
Yes, Oscarmayer was right, Iā€™m using the inflatable collar for the dewclaw excision. Edison used his front dewclaw like talons on my lower front shins. To the point that my md was trying to make me get rid of my baby. I was on antibiotics every other month for wounds inflicted by his dewclaws. I would not think of getting rid of him, so the dewclaws went. It doesnā€™t seem to bother him a bit.
68AA93B5-BD24-4ED7-8582-C42D663FC703.jpeg

Attachments

• F41FD74E-C3BD-4C18-8A37-34549324B363.jpeg
    F41FD74E-C3BD-4C18-8A37-34549324B363.jpeg
    421.7 KB · Views: 112

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks for the information, but will he get diarrhea from it? He has only had bland ā€œpeopleā€ food so far... what about yogurt? I know it has lactobacillus. Any other foods to offer? Fermented food will have a high yeast content. I thought with bullies you had to watch for extra air in the gut, so to speak....

Yogurt is on the dairy side I would avoid that. But thatā€™s me. And no fermented food doesnā€™t create yeast. If the gut is clean n the flora is balanced it actually helps to get rid of yeast in ears, tear stains etc. Soft stools can occur till gut is balanced out then the stool will get back to normal. I would give maybe just a TEAspoon for now not more. Jump a day like give it every 2 days.

Feb 9, 2020
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
My bulldog was just neutered and dew claws removed today,, brought him home a 5:30pm est, placed him in his crate, he wonā€™t sit down,it is now 7:15pm he is still to groggy from anesthesia to medicate, what do I do to help him?

My bulldog will be neutered next week. How old is your puppy? Also around how much did you pay? If you dont mind me asking. Just wanna have an idea how much neutering for bulldog is

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.