Need help now!!!!!

AceRN

Jun 17, 2020
Florida
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Edison Fitzgerald
My bulldog was just neutered and dew claws removed today,, brought him home a 5:30pm est, placed him in his crate, he wonā€™t sit down,it is now 7:15pm he is still to groggy from anesthesia to medicate, what do I do to help him?

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
It is traumatic for them to go through any kind of surgery, and he may not feel at ease after the surgery. I recommend if it is possible that you hold him or all him to lay on you or between your legs to soothe him and allow him to get his rest for a quicker recovery.

OP
AceRN

AceRN

Jun 17, 2020
Florida
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Edison Fitzgerald
Thank you for replying, I have tried to hold him but he Wonā€™t stay still.

dymeale

Aug 23, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NikolƃĀ”s
Agreed, soothing him in any way you can is best.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Iā€™ve had two neutered dogs and I remember Louie was pretty out of it and a little whiny the day he came home and then bounced right back to his normal self the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Give him a few days... I personally would not hold him especially if he wonā€™t stay still. Heā€™s safer in his crate.

dymeale

Aug 23, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NikolƃĀ”s
Agreed, soothing him in any way you can is best.

My bulldog did the same super out of it and whiny the day of and the next day it was like nothing had happened. :)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Did the hospital not give you any advice on how to deal with the aftermath of surgery? You say he won't sit down. Could he be in pain so cannot sit down for that reason?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would give him a day or two... some dogs don't handle anesthesia as well as others. I would keep him in a safe spot (crate or dog bed) and keep an eye on him... IF for any reason you suspect something isn't right, I would contact the vet immediately!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
AceRN

AceRN

Jun 17, 2020
Florida
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Edison Fitzgerald
Thank you everyone for the support. Edison stayed standing in his crate till 11:30pm even though I medicated him for the pain. I stayed with him all night, just to be near in case he needed anything.
Day 2 - he had an allergic reaction to his antibiotic, (shortness of breath, then n/v/d) I had to give him Benadryl then I notified his vet. His antibiotic was changed. His food was changed to: White meat steamed chicken, brown rice and pumpkin.
Today he is back to himself like nothing has ever happened. He is to cutešŸ˜Šā¤ļø He has already gotten out of his inflatable collar and popped it. Ah, but me being the great bully mom I am, I purchased 2 at a time!!!šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ He is ready to play with his basset hounds and cats but alas another night in his crate. His outside time is still on the leash, but he has never showed an problems with his 2 front paws and the stitches loook great.Thank you all for the responses šŸ„³

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you everyone for the support. Edison stayed standing in his crate till 11:30pm even though I medicated him for the pain. I stayed with him all night, just to be near in case he needed anything.
Day 2 - he had an allergic reaction to his antibiotic, (shortness of breath, then n/v/d) I had to give him Benadryl then I notified his vet. His antibiotic was changed. His food was changed to: White meat steamed chicken, brown rice and pumpkin.
Today he is back to himself like nothing has ever happened. He is to cute��ā¤ļø He has already gotten out of his inflatable collar and popped it. Ah, but me being the great bully mom I am, I purchased 2 at a time!!!���������� He is ready to play with his basset hounds and cats but alas another night in his crate. His outside time is still on the leash, but he has never showed an problems with his 2 front paws and the stitches loook great.Thank you all for the responses ��

Glad heā€™s doing great!! Takes a good 10days.. if heā€™s on antibiotics, try giving him fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies in the fridge section. Antibiotics always kills the gut flora so fermented food will keep it going. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Today he is back to himself like nothing has ever happened. He is to cute[emoji4][emoji3590] He has already gotten out of his inflatable collar and popped it. Ah, but me being the great bully mom I am, I purchased 2 at a time!!![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] He is ready to play with his basset hounds and cats but alas another night in his crate. His outside time is still on the leash, but he has never showed an problems with his 2 front paws and the stitches loook great.Thank you all for the responses [emoji3060]

Greta news! Picture of the little guy when you get a chance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Fantastic news!!!

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Just seeing this post and so glad to get to the end and hear he is doing so much better!!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.