What health issues has your bully had??

Connie03062

Mar 24, 2010
Nashua, NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Ziggy & Cayenne & Midas
Bulldog issues where to begin?..

Merlin - Entropian surgery 2X, dry eye, distachia hairs 8X, cherry eye both eyes, allergies which required a shot every 10 days, elbow displasia, torn cruciate whitch required surgery, recurring UTI caused by blood from one of his kidney's leaking and lastly Lymphoma. Merlin passed from Lymphoma on 3/12/10 after undergoing chemo treatments for 4 months. Merlin was 8 1/2.

Sparticus - Entropian surgery 2X, corneal scratching, dry eye, heart murmur, allergies which required a shot every 10 days, cushings disease, and lastly Lymphoma..Sparticus passed from Lymphoma after 1 chemo treatment on 3/10/07. Sparticus was 5 1/2.

Ziggy - seasonal flank alopecia, stenotic nairs, and needed to have his palate resected. He's currently 3 1/2.
Cayenne - so far she's only had a chronic ear infection. She's 3.
Midas - Pulmonic Stenosis he is only 10 weeks old.

Connie

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Abby (8yo) has allergies: Dairy products, pork and plastic. She was "rescued" from a puppy mill. (I knew I could financially take care of her and was afraid of who else would have gotten her)

Bella, well where do I start. Got her from a Breeder!!!! and she has major congenital issues. From day one had diahrrea, never really firmed out completely. Then about 3 months just lost weight more and more (down to 8lbs) she became very lethargic. We had her treated for tape worms and nothing at the re-ck she was down another pound and her heart rate was 40, they thought she wouldn't make it through the weekend. Finally an EKG showed a heart blockage, whew finally, just get her on meds. Well a month later her heart rate was back up, but still no weight gain and still just laid around. Sat in front of the electric fireplace all day long. She was eatting like crazy, Huge appetite. She was also pooping like crazy, I would come home from work and either her kennel would be full or if I let her roam, then at least 10 piles a day.

More blood work then we got our final answer. Exocrine Pancreatic Insuffiency. (epi for short) Basically her pancreas was not producing the enzymes to digest food, so for 5 months, the food she ate was just going right through her. She was surviving on her "baby fat". It will never be cured but can be treated with enzyme suppliments in her food. After the first meal she was back as the puppy we wanted. Played and alert. It only took a month to get her up to 18lbs (doubled her size)

She is stunted due to the lack of nutrition in the early months. She is only 28 lbs and about the size of a 4-5 month old puppy. The vet thinks this is going to be about it in growth. She is adorable, alert, playful, lovable and I would change or trade her for anything.

Her breeder has said that we will get our money back, still waiting. I just saw on a couple sites that he maybe selling pups imported from other countries and passing them as his. I did get a health certificate and her pedigree papers. The funny thing is that on both papers, the "birthdate" was different. When we got her he had her "father" but on the AKC papers, her father is a different Sire. I started to be concerned but he assured me her AKC papers were correct. Does anyone know about the AKC DNA certification. According to her pedigree, her dad is a AKC DNA certified. I was wondering if they have those records and a DNA test can be done to prove her papers given to me are truly her parents. Her condition is a combination of parents genes. The only recommendations by Clemson U (research college) is not to re-breed the pair. However, the chance of the rest of the litter having it is good. The unfortunate thing is that it can show up in the dog at anytime in their life, puppy stage is extremely rare. I am praying that I can get the word out and if any of her siblings are out there let the parents know what to look for. Most dogs are just put down because the condition is rare and usually does not get diagnosed properly. If you know anyone who has this going on please refer them to www.epi4dogs.com. It is a public forum to help with your EPI dog.

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
OMG reading your story is heartbreaking. I do believe AKC can do DNA testing, you will have to call them and let them know. But remember- people like this man make the AKC plenty of money, especially if he is selling a lot of puppies.

Kimrisa

Jun 20, 2010
After hearing about all of poor Samson's trials and tribulations I don't feel so bad about Tuffy's nonending issues that are more minor in nature. Cherry eye at about 12 weeks, chin acne, one ear infection and soft poop. But he's only 8 months old so we'll see what we get next....!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.