Abnormal cells on bald patch

Stace

Aug 24, 2020
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
Hi,

So my 6 month old English bulldog went in to be neutered today, he got an all over check and everything went fine. Except we did say if they could have a look at a new bald patch on his head which appeared last week. He has allergies, and is on daily antihistamines, so we put it down to that. As we collected him they informed us that there was abnormal skin cells and they are going to send them away for further analysis. The vet did mention a name of what it could be but other half forgot what it was! Anybody have any idea what it could be? Obviously thinking the worst! IMG_20200922_153931.jpg

Thanks

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Sorry, I can’t provide any information but I’m sure others will come around soon.
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Could be a histiocytoma but this would be the youngest Bulldog I've seen with this. Please keep us posted.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Looks like a histiocytoma to me as well. They are harmless and eventually go away on their own but it's always good to have a vet double check and confirm so that's good they are sending the cells for analysis.

OP
S

Stace

Aug 24, 2020
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
Hi thanks for replying [MENTION=19788]KrysA724[/MENTION] [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] still waiting on results, however I have found 6 more hairless Lumps that have appeared over last few days. On his cheek, chest, body and shoulder. I thought it might have been the brush I was using but I wouldn't have brushed his cheek or top of his head so will wait and see.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I hope I'm wrong but that could be Mast Cell Tumors. Never seen them on a dog this young. Tumor removal with clear margins followed by Radiation and Benadryl(lifelong dosing) is typical treatment. Some patients live very long(normal) lives. The most recent patient we had was Trudy. Part of her Jaw was removed and wired together. Multiple tumors were removed elsewhere. One additional surgery was required to correct un-clear margins. Had the surgery at 6 or 7 years. She lived to 14 YO.
Again, I hope it's not Mast Cell...and something less invasive and easier to treat. I just don't know what else it could be.

OP
S

Stace

Aug 24, 2020
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] I have just had a call back from the vet , the results were inconclusive they are thinking a benign cyst however mass cells were found but they said this can be normal? I let them know about the other lumps that have appeared. He has to go back in for a biopsy on Tuesday!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] I have just had a call back from the vet , the results were inconclusive they are thinking a benign cyst however mass cells were found but they said this can be normal? I let them know about the other lumps that have appeared. He has to go back in for a biopsy on Tuesday!
UGH! Hoping & praying for the best possible outcome.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Sending lots of prayers.... please keep us posted

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
S

Stace

Aug 24, 2020
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
Hi sorry taken so long to get back to you all, Hank got the all clear for abnormal cells thankfully. The hair loss and bald patch lumps were dermodex mites, he is now recovering well. He has his monthly bumper pack of goodies from vet to keep him flea and mite free! I'll attach before and after pics..PXL_20201008_165710496.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg

OP
S

Stace

Aug 24, 2020
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
Ok that was after only lol..PXL_20200929_164204281.jpg this was before just after all his tests!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
So happy that all is well with Hank [MENTION=19821]Stace[/MENTION] He is so cute!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi sorry taken so long to get back to you all, Hank got the all clear for abnormal cells thankfully. The hair loss and bald patch lumps were dermodex mites, he is now recovering well. He has his monthly bumper pack of goodies from vet to keep him flea and mite free! I'll attach before and after pics..View attachment 119960

awesome

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
OH what good news!!! Glad to hear this!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online