Jelly's sick

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
I brought her home from the doggie spa on Friday, she went right to her water bowl (always does) and took a drink. She walked into the family room and promptly threw up! The groomer mentioned that her eyes were a little "goopy", and I had noticed that before I took her there. Other than throwing up she seemed fine. I noticed Sat. that her eyes were back to normal, no goop.
Today (Tue.) she woke up at 7am and threw up again in her bed?!? And again today her eyes are "goopy" ... (eye boogers)
My daughters two kids have colds, (5 and 8 months) anyone know if she could have caught a cold from the kids? Is this a reason to take her to the vet. I "inherited" Jelly from my younger daughter when she was transferred to ATL in Nov., so I'm new at this :eek:

I KNOW she did not get into anything that would cause her to throw up, she's a very slow/cautious walker and when I take her out, she's on a leash and stays on the sidewalk until she finds the perfect spot to go potty, she's in the grass for a min. We have not put down any insecticide and I usually wipe her paws when we come in...she has a problem with red itchy feet, she licks them like it's her job.

Anyway...any ideas?
Thanks...

Erika

Apr 6, 2011
Austin, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess, Boss Lady P, P Dawg
Not sure...but Princess eyes get eye gunk in them occas and in between her footpads have been red and she licks them..My vet tells me its allergies. I dont know if this helps?? I dont know why she would be throwing up?? My vet told me also to try to wipe her feet off when she comes inside as well, to get the pollen off her feet...Good luck!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Is she throwing up bile or liquid more like water and food? My boys do tend to throw up randomly here and there so that alone most likely wouldnt be a stresser. If she is throwing up bile and heaving regularly that would be something to worry about. The eyes could be en infection like kids get like pink eye or whatever they call it. If it is that, it heals up with drops from the vet but that wouldnt be tied into throwing up so not sure if something else is going on or maybe all just coincidences? Is she eating and pooping regularly still? Drinking water? If you are worried about dehydration you can give pedialite also. You will get better help on here also.

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
I know the paw thing is allergies, the vet told me that too. I'm doing my best to wipe her paws after she's been out and I sometimes wipe them with vinegar and water mix.
I've never seen her eyes have this junk in them though, and since she's throwing up I thought they were connected maybe??? I don't think it's bile, it just looked brown this morning. On Friday I def. thought she just drank to fast and up chucked.:D But this morning we were ALL still asleep, I heard her heaving and then throw up...very weird...
I talked to a friend and she said to watch her, she said if I take her to the vet they'll want to do all kinds of tests and I'll have a big bill to find out she's got some kind of bug...which is probably good advice...but I tend to panic at any sign of sickness in anyone or anything. :eek:
Thanks for your help guys!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Welcome to the world of owning a pup. Our boys were at the vet like mad the first 2 years or so of having them. Better to be safe than sorry I say. If your gut says to get her checked then do it by all means. You say brown like as in having brown food making it brown? My boys usually either throw up bile which is the yellow or phlemy liquid with food in it. She only threw up the 1 time this morning so far? I would just watch her and if she continues the heave like that I may take her in to be safe. I know my pug ate a corn cobb piece once and was throwing up for quite a while just randomly here and there and I didnt realize at the time how dangerous this could have been. All of a sudden one day he threw up the cobb piece and he was over it but had his body tried to pass it he could have had a blockage and I dont even want to think about that outcome. Just something to think about in a worst case scenrio. Could just be a bug, they get sick like us humans.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I would have her checked. Mocha only vomits if she is ill.Is she going to the potty as she normally does?> What food do you have her on? Food plays an big part in the health of an English Bulldog and there are so many good and affordable ones out there that are made for allergy prone dogs. I rather be safe and have her examined , than wait and it could be much more expensive. i just think to much throwing up in a short period of time is not normal.

SargeandGriffon

Mar 26, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Sergeant Mako (Sarge)
Brown vomit worries me because when you vomit blood it is brown coffee ground looking and sometimes if it isn't a lot of blood you will just have bile that is brownish in color (this happened to my husband and luckily was nothing serious)... I think that you are probably better off going to the vet if you are worried. Also before Sarge had his soft palate surgery he would choke and sometimes make himself vomit bc the soft palate was so long, but he also randomly vomits some of the time if he eats or drinks too fast. Hope Jelly feels better soon! Keep us updated!

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
Thanks to everyone for your comments...this is the first chance I've had to get back to the computer.
She seems fine now, she was quiet today, slept a lot, but then she always sleeps a lot, so I'm not sure that means anything.
She only threw up that one time early this morning. She didn't eat until around 7pm tonight, I didn't give her a full cup like I usually do. I gave her a half cup and it took her a while to finish it...she started and stopped a couple times.
My husband wondered if the problem was her food....I gradually switched her food from "junk food" to Diamond Naturals, chicken and rice. My daughter had her on Kibbles n Bits from the grocery store, she told me not to switch her food because every time she tried to switch to something healthier she got bad diahhrea...I did it anyway. I mixed the new with the old a little at a time until she was eating only the new...she's been eating only the new for the past three weeks, so I don't think that has anything to do with her throwing up on Friday and again this morning...I'm thinking she had a "bug" ?? If she throws up again tomorrow I will call the vet...but so far so good. Again thanks for all the help! I love our new addition to the house and hate to see her sick.
PS...when I had her at the vet last month she told me that chicken could also be an allergen (she has problem feet, she licks them and they get little bumps between the toes, allergies), she told me to switch her to fish and potato food...any thoughts on that? I haven't done that yet because I have a $40 bag of new food in the pantry. I had just switched her a couple weeks before seeing the vet.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I too was going to ask what food Jelly was on until I got to your final post. It's possible she could have an allergy to chicken, I know she's been on the food for 3 weeks but it can sometimes take that long for an allergy to appear as the food works it's way into their system.

Maggie too is allergic to chicken, and we found that out by the fact that her eyes were gunky and watered more than usual to the point that her tear stains came back and the wrinkles started to get red and raw. Her whole face smelt. Then the bumps appeared in between her toes - interdigital cysts that she licked so much that they became infected.

I would go with your gut, and if you feel there is something wrong take Jelly to the vets. Otherwide, you might want to consider changing the food ... you'll find a lot of VERY positive stuff on this site about Fromm. I'd say the majority of bully owners use it and love it!!

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
wow...thanks, that may be the reason her eyes are gunky lately. The groomer first mentioned it on Friday, they were better on Sat., Sun. and Mon. but Tues. and today they have junk in them again.
I assume if I switch her food again I have to do it slowly and mix the old with the new?? ughhhhh

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Yes,,, mix it up. It isn't that big of a task. Gracie was on Fromm Surf and Turf which is grain free but has chicken in it and was still just a bit itchy so we switched her to Fromm Beef Frittata that has no chicken and she further improved. There is a down side to that food; it is always good to vary their protein source by switching between flavors within a line of food such as Fromm Four Star line. The Beef Frittata is the only one in the line that is both grain/gluten free and chicken free so we can't vary her protein source because the others in the Four Star line are not chicken free. I think I would try Jelly on the regular Fromm Four Star first before resorting to the Beef Frittata just for that reason if you were going to try Fromm. Fromm will refund you for food that doesn't work out for your dog as well.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I agree with [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] ... don't feel that you have to go to a fully chicken free range of food. Although Maggie has an allergy to chicken it's a fairly mild case. When you look at the ingredients of the food a lot of them have a trace of chicken and Maggie is fine with that. It's just when the main ingredient is chicken!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online