Pink irritated spots on upper lip - recurring 2x now

Andrew53535

Sep 17, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Clem
Hi all, our 3 yr old Clementine has spots of pink irritation on her upper lip which just recently re-occurred. (See photo).

The first time this happened was about 2 months ago, and we took her to the vet who gave her us Duoxo 3% Chlorhexidine pads to wipe on the spots twice a day. We've been treating this occurrence with the Duoxo pads but it does not seem to make a difference.

We've also washed her stainless steel food and water bowls and all her chew toys in the dishwasher, and washed her bed and stuffed toys in the laundry.

The vet says they will give her antibiotics now for this.

I've searched the forums for something like this but could not find it, but maybe I've missed it.

Has anyone experience this type of pink irritation on the lip? Are there other questions we should ask the vet?

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
That looks like a natural loss of pigmentation that we see fairly often. Nothing will bring back the black, IMO.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi all, our 3 yr old Clementine has spots of pink irritation on her upper lip which just recently re-occurred. (See photo).

The first time this happened was about 2 months ago, and we took her to the vet who gave her us Duoxo 3% Chlorhexidine pads to wipe on the spots twice a day. We've been treating this occurrence with the Duoxo pads but it does not seem to make a difference.

We've also washed her stainless steel food and water bowls and all her chew toys in the dishwasher, and washed her bed and stuffed toys in the laundry.

The vet says they will give her antibiotics now for this.

I've searched the forums for something like this but could not find it, but maybe I've missed it.

Has anyone experience this type of pink irritation on the lip? Are there other questions we should ask the vet?

View attachment 119787

View attachment 119788

View attachment 119789

Clementine is a beauty! I agree with Chip -- pigmentation loss and antibiotics are not needed. The skin there sometimes is a little 'bumpy' but not noticed due to black pigmentation.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I agree about the loss of black pigment. Also, that area may get "rubbed" on her food bowl when she eats......It doesn't look like it would need antibiotics, doesn't look like an open wound,unless it doesn't show in the photo.
If you still think it is a wound, get some NuStock, or Bag Balm, and rub it in real well.

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Ok I’m not too experienced with this, but If it is loss of pigmentation and your vet did not realize that and began prescribing remedies, that tells me you may need a more experienced vet.

Apr 28, 2019
Ca
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Ok I’m not too experienced with this, but If it is loss of pigmentation and your vet did not realize that and began prescribing remedies, that tells me you may need a more experienced vet.

Just keep the bowls clean every meal, all I recommend. But loss of pigmentation is not a big deal. Someone should refer the link to the list that contains recommended bully vets

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.