Thread: Urinary issues or marking

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fletcher
    Likes (Received)

Default Urinary issues or marking

Hello
    My bulldog Fletcher is 6 years old. Heís on a grain free food with no chicken in it as we have fought allergies and skin issues for a year and a half and finally I think I figured out on my own that chicken was the big problem. He had a bladder inflection some months back, was peeing everywhere. He has had issues with marking more than he ever had before we moved two years ago. Itís gotten so bad lately again I canít have rugs down and our whole house is hard vinyl flooring. Iím fed up and frustrated. Vet said his PH was 8, and wanted to put him on urinary formula food again from SD or Royal Canin. I donít understand why his PH wouldnít be low (acidic) and also is there any general advice for this condition and the terrible marking problems? I am so afraid to change his food, I will likely trade one problem for another. Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Urinary issues or marking

Has he been checked for diabetes? He must be drinking more? Has the vet done a urine culture? Has he checked Fletcher's prostate? Cystitis? Stones? If the vet hasn't done a culture, or checked for these things I wouldn't change food,I would change Vets!
    There must be something not right!
    "
    ďIt came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

4. Likes KrysA724, Davidh, cefe13, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fletcher
    Likes (Received)

Iíve talked with my husband and weíve watched him closely the last few days as we just returned from a trip. When he had a UTI before, he went pee in front of me several times. Right now, that we know of, heís peeing on things while we are not here. Heís done this from time to time just about his whole life. When we moved exactly two years ago, it got worse. Lately itís really bad. In our new home he has almost constant outdoor access via a doggie door.... We wonder if heís not stressed or something and itís behavioral. Perhaps itís time to try a kennel again. He hasnít been crated regularly since he was about a year old, though.

6. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

If a UTI has been ruled out and no other urinary problems, I would crate him when you are gone. Plus I never liked doggie doors with bullies, especially when you are not home to monitor them. I have heard of them going outside and getting too hot, then they will not come back in, they will lay out there and die of heatstroke.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - Hazel, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Coup

8. Likes 2BullyMama, Manydogs liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmieq View Post
    Iíve talked with my husband and weíve watched him closely the last few days as we just returned from a trip. When he had a UTI before, he went pee in front of me several times. Right now, that we know of, heís peeing on things while we are not here. Heís done this from time to time just about his whole life. When we moved exactly two years ago, it got worse. Lately itís really bad. In our new home he has almost constant outdoor access via a doggie door.... We wonder if heís not stressed or something and itís behavioral. Perhaps itís time to try a kennel again. He hasnít been crated regularly since he was about a year old, though.

It could be behavior for sure, but you have to rule out the issue that Lynn listed. Do not change food yet either... what brand/protein are you currently feeding.
    Crating will help if it is behavior or stress related so definitley for now give it a try
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Remove Ads