Cbd oil and turmeric

Epc2188

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
So i just got done with my 2nd opinion for watson and the surgeon says no surgery for possible knee issue. He did recomend cbd oil and turneric though.... any experience with this stuff? If so whats the dosage or a good brand to buy. Hes currently on dosequin and omega 3 fish oil. Thanks guys

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
CBD dosage can be tricky... and that is because there's no CBD oil concentration standard. Each manufacturer sells their own concentration. On top of this, the dosage is also dependent on the health issue you are addressing. There's no standard on how much to give to address specific health issues - for example, you would need a higher dose for pain from injury than a chronic dull pain and even lesser for general health and well-being, but how much to give is not a standard guideline but more towards the holistic way of doing things - give it to the dog and observe. CBD, although not particularly harmful to dogs, can cause more problems than it solves if given in too high of a dosage.

That said... the best way for you to know how much to give your dog for a specific CBD concentration for your specific dog's ailment is to ask your vet.

Also note: CBD oil can be applied topically. I even add it to my homemade soaps to hopefully help with my arthritic fingers...

OP
E

Epc2188

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Thanks for the reply..maybe ill stay away from the cbd since my dog doesnt seem to be in pain...but i am interested in the turmeric

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Thanks for the reply..maybe ill stay away from the cbd since my dog doesnt seem to be in pain...but i am interested in the turmeric

As far as tumeric... it leaves the body fast, so it's not easy to overdose on it. This is how I use tumeric - it's not as good when given by itself because it leaves the body fast so it could leave before it can get absorbed... it's better when mixed with pepper and coconut oil to increase absorption.

Note: Do not give tumeric if your dog starts taking other medications. You're going to need to clear it with the vet first.

So here's a good recipe to make a tumeric paste that you can then give to your dog in his food or treats:
Boil 1/2 cup tumeric powder in 1 cup water for 5 minutes, adding water a tbsp at a time if needed to make a paste.
Remove from heat and add 1 1/2 tsp pepper and 1/4 cup coconut oil.
Mix well and let cool.
Put in a jar to store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.

Start with 1 tsp per day to your dog. If you're feeding twice a day, give 1/2 tsp each meal. It is better to give tumeric a little at a time throughout the day to aid in absorption. This paste will also leave a yellow stain on your dog's skin (well, it leaves a yellow stain everywhere including your clothes!), so giving a little at a time helps in preventing dribbling onto the skin. You can double the dose if your dog is reacting fine to it.

Here's what to look for:
1. Constipation. Try to increase the water intake, otherwise, lower the tumeric dose by half.
2. Panting. Tumeric causes the blood to flow faster which produces heat. Increase water intake will help with this, otherwise, lower tumeric dose by half.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
My French Bulldog gets CBD oil twice as maintenance. I can't tell you if I notice a difference with it because he's been getting it for a years. I also give them turmeric paste twice and a day and I can say I notice a difference. All 3 dogs get it but Jax is the oldest and might be on the onset of arthritis so I started giving it a few months ago. Well a couple weeks ago I ran out of the batch I had made and didn't make another batch for two weeks and he I noticed he was more stiff and limping again and now he's back on it and no more limping.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

I personally would give CBC along with tumeric paste. [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] uses it for Jax with great results. I’m in Canada so I’ll let her answer you. Our brands are different than US.

BTW I use it for Jake’s anxiety.

B822FF78-77F5-4B63-B13F-AD5700CF0EF9.jpeg

OP
E

Epc2188

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Sounds like turmeric is a must.. ill look into making this paste

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
This is such great information. I hope you find the combination that works for your baby.
I started Stella on cbd 2 months ago. She has hip dysplasia and luxating patella’s. If she is too active she gets really sore.
I can tell you after 2 weeks on the cbd I was noticing a difference. 2 months later she is initiating play and giving her brother Harvey hell.
It’s so good to see.

I will now be incorporating the tumuric paste as the others have attested to.

Thanks for posting and thanks to the gang here for always being so helpful and informative!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

Epc2188

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Yea my guys got the dysplasia and the luxating as well thank god i got a 2nd opinion the first said he wanted to do surgery the 2nd said no but because of how their legs are shaped an acl tear is possible with all the movement in the knee later on down the road..but if that doesnt happen no surgery is required and ill know if it does tear cus hel lift his leg up...no more frisbee and sharp movements for him..just lounging and walks

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sounds like turmeric is a must.. ill look into making this paste

I use the paste Along with Movoflex and laser therapy for my guys.... it all does make a difference, no cure but definitely helps them

Shayv

Jun 3, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dally
I have not heard of turmeric having any kind of analgesic effect as opposed to CBD oil. I have taken CBD oil myself, and I can confidently say that they are the best painkillers. It also has a good effect on dogs. When my dog had liver problems, he suffered terribly from the pain. Every time he walked, he whined. The veterinarian advised using denverdispensaries.net to find a qualified store and buy CBD oil. Of course, in addition to this, he prescribed a whole list of products that couldn't be given to my dog. After a month of such treatment, my boy was absolutely healthy.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.