Help!! Puppy with EXTREME hair loss and bumps that turn into sores.

deena1

Sep 3, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
In a desperate attempt to find answers, Iā€™m reaching out to you all. My puppy, Jersey, is 11 weeks old. Sheā€™s been home with us just 3 weeks now and itā€™s been nothing short of a nightmare trying to figure out whatā€™s going on with her. She has extreme hair loss on her back (not on her eyes, elbows, legs, etc.). This hair loss was seen only around her forehead and back of her neck 3 weeks ago. Itā€™s getting worse daily. She also has had bouts of welts that rupture and turn into sores. She was treated with steroids for three days and 10 days of antibiotics and her skin cleared completely. No sores or bumps, but hair loss continued. Now, bumps are reappearing and one has ruptured into a sore with red and yellow discharge. We are at a loss. Sheā€™s seen two vets, ours and the breeder. Ours said ā€œallergiesā€ to food. The breeders vet said ā€œinfectionā€ and prescribed the steroid and antibiotics. Now he wants to do more antibiotics and a culture. There was clear skin with no infection until one bump turned into a sore today. So Iā€™m not convinced thereā€™s an infection. Something is causing the hair loss and bumps to appear. Iā€™ve read and re-read all I can about generalized demodex but even though she has some of the symptoms, she doesnā€™t have the key identifiers like hair loss around eyes, paws, elbows and legs. I just need help! Thank you!

Attachments

• B4743D7A-7B4B-402C-AE26-8FE427B2D555.jpeg
    B4743D7A-7B4B-402C-AE26-8FE427B2D555.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 282
  • 1380A8F4-5E5E-4151-B186-A287C74F6F79.jpeg
    1380A8F4-5E5E-4151-B186-A287C74F6F79.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 245
  • FDD9E922-DF7A-43B1-8666-EBFC54FFEE5A.jpeg
    FDD9E922-DF7A-43B1-8666-EBFC54FFEE5A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 243
  • 80A9F125-923F-48A2-A6B7-3030D4D6053E.jpeg
    80A9F125-923F-48A2-A6B7-3030D4D6053E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 247
  • 283D98EA-7AB1-48F0-8653-47B6B3A0AF35.jpeg
    283D98EA-7AB1-48F0-8653-47B6B3A0AF35.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 275
  • AA0E0B43-A972-4BF0-9FCD-1C186FEC64F0.jpeg
    AA0E0B43-A972-4BF0-9FCD-1C186FEC64F0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 257
  • 7545D06D-145B-4188-924B-933CD786EC6A.jpeg
    7545D06D-145B-4188-924B-933CD786EC6A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 273

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
In a desperate attempt to find answers, Iā€™m reaching out to you all. My puppy, Jersey, is 11 weeks old. Sheā€™s been home with us just 3 weeks now and itā€™s been nothing short of a nightmare trying to figure out whatā€™s going on with her. She has extreme hair loss on her back (not on her eyes, elbows, legs, etc.). This hair loss was seen only around her forehead and back of her neck 3 weeks ago. Itā€™s getting worse daily. She also has had bouts of welts that rupture and turn into sores. She was treated with steroids for three days and 10 days of antibiotics and her skin cleared completely. No sores or bumps, but hair loss continued. Now, bumps are reappearing and one has ruptured into a sore with red and yellow discharge. We are at a loss. Sheā€™s seen two vets, ours and the breeder. Ours said ā€œallergiesā€ to food. The breeders vet said ā€œinfectionā€ and prescribed the steroid and antibiotics. Now he wants to do more antibiotics and a culture. There was clear skin with no infection until one bump turned into a sore today. So Iā€™m not convinced thereā€™s an infection. Something is causing the hair loss and bumps to appear. Iā€™ve read and re-read all I can about generalized demodex but even though she has some of the symptoms, she doesnā€™t have the key identifiers like hair loss around eyes, paws, elbows and legs. I just need help! Thank you!
Poor baby!! She is adorable. I am not experienced with what you're describing. Perhaps she has allergies that is causing this but it would be best to test her for them. My boy was allergic to chicken and we had to switch his food. He also has environmental allergies so he's on Benadryl for that. Sometimes he has a few bad months and we have to keep him clean several times during the day, etc. He also used to get very yeasty and he smelled bad but this pretty much went away when he changed his food to a raw diet. We buy him frozen premade raw: Primal Pronto Lamb formula. Good luck and keep us posted on her condition.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Could be staph infection which is a result of weaken immune system. Was a skin scrape done to rule out mange?

What are you feeding brand and protein? Do you give a probiotic?

Chicken tends to cause issues so try to avoid

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
D

deena1

Sep 3, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Yes, 3 skin scrapes and none have shown mites. Sheā€™s on phytoplankton and eats NutriSource large breed puppy formula.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, 3 skin scrapes and none have shown mites. Sheā€™s on phytoplankton and eats NutriSource large breed puppy formula.

That food if Iā€™m looking at tight one is chicken based... can you switch to duck or turkey?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Chicken, chicken meal, brown rice, barley, oatmeal, dried plain beet pulp, natural turkey and chicken flavor, chicken fat (preserved with tocopherols and citric acid)

Brown rice, barley, oatmeal n the word flavours = nitrate or chemicals... Not very healthy as way too much grains...

I had/have 2 EB that had the same issues n all test came out negative. I put them on a raw diet along with fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies n it all disappeared. Your dog needs to clean his immune system as itā€™s weak. :)

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Iā€™m thinking demodectic mange AND a staph infection. Immune system is very weak so staph returns quickly. Try a diff food without chicken.
Nexgard treatment will knock back the mites and the demodex should clear up in a few months. Probiotics are needed to boost immune system. We use probiotic miracle. Others have luck with sour kraut and perhaps sardines.
Members here with sound knowledge will give good guidance.

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
Chicken, chicken meal, brown rice, barley, oatmeal, dried plain beet pulp, natural turkey and chicken flavor, chicken fat (preserved with tocopherols and citric acid)

Brown rice, barley, oatmeal n the word flavours = nitrate or chemicals... Not very healthy as what too much grains...

I had/have 2 EB that had the same issues n all test came out negative. I put them on a raw diet along with fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies n it all disappeared. Your dog needs to clean his immune system as itā€™s weak. :)[/QUOTE [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] you are saying that brown rice and barley are not good for bulldogs correct? Our EB's cardiologist vet suggested we give him barley with his premade frozen raw food. She said it was better for them. I also give my boys string beans with their meals. What is the danger of giving them those 2 grains. My 5 year old has a grade 5-6 heart murmur/condition that is inoperable. I'm trying to keep him alive and healthy as long as I'm able to as we were told he wouldn't live past the age of 1. Thank you for your information.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=15331]BullyBoston[/MENTION] The problem is that if skin issues arrises like this post, the first thing I would start looking at is the grains. Some grains are ok unless a dog suffers from intolerances to grains or carbohydrate malabsorption. Small amounts can be ok but thatā€™s where we need to start digging to see the % of grains thatā€™s in each meals. At the end of the day itā€™s all about ratio. Protein from meat (not from meal protein) for a dog is healthier that any grains. Basically grains is for fiber. Why we tend to give berries n green beans, broccoli etc... As we know heart issues in humans is mainly caused by sugars which turns to bad fat. Even healthy grains turns to sugar. Dogs, their digestive track will produce 100 times the amount of acid compare to a human which means they digest protein that breaks down way faster. Why sometimes like my vet once said, some vets thinks dogs should eat a balance meal like humans which is wrong. They simply need protein n a few fruits n veggies.

Example..The big craze nowadays is KETO diet. Involves good HIGH fats then protein then barely carbs n itā€™s from veggies only. Now theyā€™re realizing people on keto are getting of their diabetes meds, blood pressure meds etc.Shows people have tons of energy, great skin etc... High fat n protein diets works. They are now studies carnivore diets no carbs at all for humans is even healthy...Weā€™re turning to a dog or Nunavut diet.

All this to say, if you want to have grains in a dogā€™s diet, it needs to be checked on the ratio of grains per day is a dog eating. But ā€œIFā€ a dog eats a balanced raw diet, there is no need to give them grains. Grains basically is used as a filler to save on $$ when producing dog food.
Thatā€™s my 2 cents worth... :)

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] thank you so much!! Very informative!! My EB was just taken off his heart meds BC his kidneys #'s were elevated. The same vet suggested Hills Science diet and another type of food for him which I don't agree with. His diet is important to me, especially due to his heart condition. I have kept him on raw and I'm praying that his kidney levels get better and he remains healthy.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] thank you so much!! Very informative!! My EB was just taken off his heart meds BC his kidneys #'s were elevated. The same vet suggested Hills Science diet and another type of food for him which I don't agree with. His diet is important to me, especially due to his heart condition. I have kept him on raw and I'm praying that his kidney levels get better and he remains healthy.

Thereā€™s 2 kinds of kidney failure which are creatinine or enzymes... not sure which one Apollo has...

Never feed Science Hill. They had to remove their bags off shelves cause it was killing dogs for overdose Vit D.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.