Dec 31, 2010
daphne 648.jpg I usually give Daphne room temperature water

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Always room temperature, Deep chested dogs like Bullies are at risk of bloat. The reason that the cold water and ice can cause bloat only occurs when the inside of the dog is hot. When the cold water or ice comes into contact with the hot tissues of their stomach, it causes muscle spasms and the stomach can often twist - causing bloat. Bloat can kill a dog very quickly and every one should know the signs.

very interesting. I had no idea?? when Duke is warm in the summer I put ice cubes in water. Guess I really should not. thanks for sharing!

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
I love Icy cold water and my bullies like it too or at least they like to fish all the ice cubes out and have them make a huge mess on the ceramic tile which I seem to always find as I am falling on my A?? but while I am down there they can play, look she sat down on the floor to be with us.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Dogs lick their butts..I don't think they care what temp their water is. Just sayin..

[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], Vegas can't reach his, that is what my area rug is for...unfortunately....:eek:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], Vegas can't reach his, that is what my area rug is for...unfortunately....:eek:

Omg..so funny! I have 2 dogs..they "take care of each other"..lol..someday I'm going to post a few pics of the rugs around my house..all..I mean all exposed corners are chewed off..it actually looks planned. Grrrrrrrr

L

Lucy-licious

Dogs lick their butts..I don't think they care what temp their water is. Just sayin..

Lucy cant reach hers either thats why Bullie kisses are so special..their mouths are cleaner than other dogs.

Omg..so funny! I have 2 dogs..they "take care of each other"..lol..

Reason #1 why not to buy a new puppy, her kisses would no longer be quite so wonderful now that I know that :lol:

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)

and that is why Sebastian has Oliver and Oliver has Sebastian. They also will lick all the extra water off of each others faces after getting a drink. I have to remember to catch them in the act of doing that one, it's really cute!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I fill their bowl with cold water from the tap ..... and yes they all seem to enjoy it then because it's fresh. However, after that it stands there so I guess it gradually will get to room temperature. I too am guilty of putting ice in their water during the summer, and had never heard of it causing bloat so that is VERY useful to know.

Most of the time the dogs would just fish the icecubes out of the bowl to eat though so not sure if the ice stays in there long enough to make it icy cold!!!

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion

You said DOGS....but not bulldogs. That's the only reason I kiss Vegas on the lips. I know he can't reach either areas down "there". He's got to much bullyfat around the middle to allow close contact. Thank goodness.

AND Vegas and Orion don't like each other enough to perform those cleaning rituals on each other. Double thank
goodness!

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You said DOGS....but not bulldogs. That's the only reason I kiss Vegas on the lips. I know he can't reach either areas down "there". He's got to much bullyfat around the middle to allow close contact. Thank goodness.

AND Vegas and Orion don't like each other enough to perform those cleaning rituals on each other. Double thank
goodness!

Whoa..[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]..you are very lucky...Dena loves Jake..I am sure..ONLY because he is a great "licker"....lol

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.