Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I was in the kitchen cutting up strawberries for dessert. I asked my hubby to bring me the water bowl to fill. Since my hands were in the water..I had it at room temp. When he put the water bowl under to fill, I turned it to cold. He asked me to "turn it to the middle"...which would be room temp.

I said "they don't want room temp water...they want it cold".

He said..."no, they like it room temp and it's better for them!"

I asked him...."where did you learn that?"

He said "it's better for them and for us to drink room temperature water".

I ended the conversation by saying...."that's gross. Who wants luke warm water?"

So..what do you think?

Do your dogs prefer cold to room temp? Do you? Is it better or not?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I was told to drink frozen or ice cold water when I was pregnant, mainly because you have to use calories to cool down the water. So I say cold! :up:

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Sometime back I recall an interview with M*A*S*H star Mike Farrell say he only drank room temperature water because it was better for the digestion. I myself drink water from my Brita pitcher which is always on the counter, so I guess I always drink room temperature. My bullies will drink room temperature but they prefer to have some ice in it. I always put ice in their waterbowls after I wash and refill them. They seem to relish the coolness on their lips.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I refuse to drink water that is room temp. It has to be cold and icy. I love slushy water. I'm sure my babies do too!

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
I don't know about which is better for you, but I find cold water much more satisfying and more capable of quenching my thirst. Our dogs seem to enjoy lapping up cool water as soon as it is placed, but then again, I never tested their reaction to room temp water freshly placed down. My bet is that they are with us on this one Libra. And even if warmer water is better for them, it's not like they are in any danger of being dehydrated.

Terry

Jan 16, 2011
Central Valley, California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubbles
Always room temperature, Deep chested dogs like Bullies are at risk of bloat. The reason that the cold water and ice can cause bloat only occurs when the inside of the dog is hot. When the cold water or ice comes into contact with the hot tissues of their stomach, it causes muscle spasms and the stomach can often twist - causing bloat. Bloat can kill a dog very quickly and every one should know the signs.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Always room temperature, Deep chested dogs like Bullies are at risk of bloat. The reason that the cold water and ice can cause bloat only occurs when the inside of the dog is hot. When the cold water or ice comes into contact with the hot tissues of their stomach, it causes muscle spasms and the stomach can often twist - causing bloat. Bloat can kill a dog very quickly and every one should know the signs.

What about normal every day drinking? We are still in the 50's here, so no warm bullies yet.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
........... a twist of lemon is nice in the water, especially icy cold. Oh wait, the mutt gets cold but she rarely drinks any when I give it to her so she is drinking room temp by the time she gets around to it. ;)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I give Vegas cool water from the sink, not ice cold, not room temp but cool. In the summer (and it is here now, in the 90's and has been) I will give him cold water out of my side by side fridge but only if he has been outside. I don't think he cares if it is cool or cold. It is ME that likes it that way.

Terry

Jan 16, 2011
Central Valley, California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubbles
If you really think about it, the water becomes room temperature in the bowl. I have just been told that you should not give them very cold ice water.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
aybe that's why dogs drink out of the toilet bowl; the porcelain keeps it cold. But as for my dogs they get cold out of the tap into their stainless steel bowls and the water feels "cold" to me and they seem to like it. We are switching to filtered water though to help with Oliver's eye stains and that will probably be room temp unless we end up getting the adapter to the faucet.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yep mine is served cool out of the tap and then turns room temp but since it on tile is still cool I suppose. I have heard tho that we should all actually drink room temp or warm water for digestion but I say phewy on that one. haha I like mine icy!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I have heard before that you will hyradate your body faster if it is room temperature/luke warm when you drink it, not sure how true that is though. I love water, I prefer it cold but I will drink it room temperature or even hot like on those summer days when I leave my water bottle in the car so its all hot but I drink it anyway if I am real thristy. The only preference I notice with my dogs is they like it real fresh, straight from the tap and I always make the tap water cold when I fill it. So they either like it cold or just really fresh LOL

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.