Dec 23, 2013
Helena,MT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winter, Queen Shiva, Big Tiger & Louis Vuitton
Good evening,
has anyone had experience MMM?
my 14 month old male Has been diagnosed with severe MMM, and they recommend to let him go over the rainbow bridge
thanks

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I am so sorry to hear this. I have no knowledge about this diagnosis but please know that Castor and I are thinking of you and your boy at this difficult time.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I just did a quick research on it and since he is so young, did they even offer trials of steroids? Or Acupuncture? Those seem to be the treatments of choice and seems they have had positive results with them. Maybe get a second opinion? Good luck and keep us posted.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have never heard of this... I'm going to tag some members, I'm so very sorry to read this.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I also have no experience and suggest a second opinion. Many articles on internet of dogs living with it and the pain being maintained

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If you can afford try something before you give up on him------Another view:
[h=3]How is MMM treated?[/h]The current recommended traditional treatment for MMM involves an immune-suppressive dose of corticosteroid medication -- usually prednisone -- given over a period of months. Early aggressive treatment offers the highest chance for remission from MMM. Once the symptoms are under control, the dose of prednisone is reduced to the lowest every-other-day dose that keeps the symptoms at bay. Some dogs will require prednisone therapy for the rest of their lives, but many can be weaned off.
Side effects of prednisone include excessive appetite, excessive thirst, and increased urination (from increased water intake).
"Side effects of prednisone include excessive
appetite, excessive thirst, and increased urination."​
Another approach to MMM treatment is neuromodulatory acupuncture. Treating MMM with acupuncture involves inserting very thin needles into specific spots on the face and head in order to modulate the inflammation associated with MMM by affecting the nervous system. While this is not an approach that is discussed much in the veterinary literature, veterinary acupuncturists report excellent results in a majority of cases of MMM.
No matter the treatment chosen, dogs with MMM will require changes to their feeding. Softening kibble with warm water may be enough to encourage eating. Some dogs may do better with canned food. Your veterinarian can assist you with feeding recommendations during a bout of MMM.
[h=3]What does the future look like for dogs with MMM?[/h]The outlook for individual dogs depends upon the degree of inflammation in the muscles and the dog’s response to therapy. If MMM is diagnosed early and treatment is initiated right away, a dog usually regains normal jaw function and the ability to open and close his mouth without pain. In some dogs scar tissue can form within the masticatory muscles causing permanent problems.
One problem with long-term prednisone therapy is muscle atrophy -- a clinical sign that also happens with the progression of MMM. Atrophy itself may interfere with a return of full function. Dogs who have experienced MMM may relapse, and they may be more difficult to treat during subsequent bouts of the disease.
Contributors: Robin Downing, DVM, DAAPM, DACVSMR, CVPP
location2x.png

[h=2]Find a Local VCA[/h]
We're here for you and your pet in 43 states.

Find A Hospital

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=10616]karla9895[/MENTION] we had a bully with this once. We also have an excellent bulldog vet, who knows this desease. He put outs on a low dose of Prednisone. At first, with your vets help find the right dose, as you don't want too high of a dose as long term use is not good. But they can live a long life with the right does. You need to find a vet that has treated this disease also. Praying for your pup, and hope you get the help you need from a good vet.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.