URGENT!!! Transitional Cell Carcinoma

taking77

Aug 3, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rose
Hello, my 9 year old bulldog was diagnosed with Transitional Cell Carcinoma in March. She has been on medication---has little to no control of her bladder and is squatting every few steps on walks. She also has mucus that comes out when she pees occasionally. I know this is terminal---I'm just so torn and heartbroken on when to make the decision to put her to sleep. She is still eating---she still seems mainly like herself but is sitting on her side now and panting more. Bulldogs hide their pain as we all know---I'm just so scared of making this decision too soon or too late. Has anyone had any experience with this? I'd love to just talk to someone about it and talk through. Thank you so much.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I am so very sorry to hear about Rose. When Monty started to go downhill we knew it was coming but then quite rapidly he wasn't Monty anymore so we knew it was time. He wasn't in pain, he just wasn't there and was just existing. It was an awful decision to make and then to make matters worse, when the vet came to put him to sleep, he perked right up. The vet was great and told us that it actually happened fairly often but it made our decision even harder. I know he would have been back to no quality of life again so we went ahead and he passed so peacefully and very quickly. I guess what I am saying is when she is not Rose anymore or in obvious distress, then you will know it's time. It is such a hard decision but it is the last best thing you can do for her. I am sorry.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
So sorry to hear this ! I would recommend putting Rose on Piroxicam, 0.3 mg/kg orally once daily if kidney function is normal. I'd also recommend a course of antibiotic since UTI is very commonly associated with TCC plus she has the mucus coming out. And start her on a doggy cranberry concentrate/d-mannose supplement plus a probiotic to help prevent further UTI. Also if pH of her urine is high avoid alkalinizing agents like carbohydrates and citrus fruits.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello, my 9 year old bulldog was diagnosed with Transitional Cell Carcinoma in March. She has been on medication---has little to no control of her bladder and is squatting every few steps on walks. She also has mucus that comes out when she pees occasionally. I know this is terminal---I'm just so torn and heartbroken on when to make the decision to put her to sleep. She is still eating---she still seems mainly like herself but is sitting on her side now and panting more. Bulldogs hide their pain as we all know---I'm just so scared of making this decision too soon or too late. Has anyone had any experience with this? I'd love to just talk to someone about it and talk through. Thank you so much.

so very sorry your sweet girl is going through the this, sending you hugs and prayers to help you through.
as Pam has said.... you will know when it is time, only you know the quality of life changes so watch form them and your heart will telll you

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.