Bulldog puppy bladder infection

Willis845438

Jul 13, 2020
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Willis
Hi,
Iā€™m new to this forum and I really need help. We have a 10 week old puppy. He is an English bulldog and has had blood in his urine for 48 hours.
He doesnā€™t seem sick- heā€™s eating, playing and as active as always.
We took him to the vet and heā€™s been prescribed anti-biotics.

He has only had his ailment since he went into the garden. He was playing with my godson who is 4 and from that afternoon started with the infection.

I feel that the vet hasnā€™t been very supportive and just prescribed him without really checking him over or getting any proper facts.

The question I have is, has anyone experienced something similar with their puppy and can advise us on what to do? Iā€™m worried sick.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I haven't had that experience ,but would recommend you start him on probiotics eg. sauerkraut from refrigerated section of health food store or commercial dog probiotic such as "Probiotic Miracle" . Start him on a probiotic now, give between doses of antibiotic and continue for a couple of weeks after antibiotic is finished.

You might want to give cranberry extract pills for a while. I know [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] likes Nutramax Crananidin https://www.chewy.com/nutramax-crananidin-chewable-tablets/dp/108975

Chewy also sells other brands of cranberry that also contain d-mannose such as Project Paws Cranberry Plus D-Mannose
https://www.chewy.com/nutramax-crananidin-chewable-tablets/dp/108975

I know [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] will recommend oil of oregano but I think the cranberry plus d-mannose will work better

Also, VERY IMPORTANT, soak his food in water to make a stew to give him very diluted urine and take him out frequently to pee

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi,
Iā€™m new to this forum and I really need help. We have a 10 week old puppy. He is an English bulldog and has had blood in his urine for 48 hours.
He doesnā€™t seem sick- heā€™s eating, playing and as active as always.
We took him to the vet and heā€™s been prescribed anti-biotics. The

He has only had his ailment since he went into the garden. He was playing with my godson who is 4 and from that afternoon started with the infection.

I feel that the vet hasnā€™t been very supportive and just prescribed him without really checking him over or getting any proper facts.

The question I have is, has anyone experienced something similar with their puppy and can advise us on what to do? Iā€™m worried sick.

Hello n WELCOME!

Sorry about your little puppy. [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] gave you great advice but I definitely would change vets. If that vet canā€™t be bother to ask you to bring in a urine sample n just give you antibiotics go elsewhere as thatā€™s not a good sign. I would hold off giving the meds till you get the urine checked out first. You might have the wrong meds. So yes, go see another vet but bring a urine damp,e so they can check it immediately. Plz keep us posted.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Hello n WELCOME!

Sorry about your little puppy. [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] gave you great advice but I definitely would change vets. If that vet canā€™t be bother to ask you to bring in a urine sample n just give you antibiotics go elsewhere as thatā€™s not a good sign. I would hold off giving the meds till you get the urine checked out first. You might have the wrong meds. So yes, go see another vet but bring a urine damp,e so they can check it immediately. Plz keep us posted.

Antibiotics have probably been started, so too late for sample now. I would just give the antibiotics and hopefully the bacteria is sensitive to that antibiotic.

Since it's a puppy there's a possibility it has a congenital structural deformity of the urinary tract. If it happens again you will have to get your puppy investigated with possible surgical correction required.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.