Bulldog puppy bladder infection

Willis845438

Jul 13, 2020
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Willis
Hi,
Iā€™m new to this forum and I really need help. We have a 10 week old puppy. He is an English bulldog and has had blood in his urine for 48 hours.
He doesnā€™t seem sick- heā€™s eating, playing and as active as always.
We took him to the vet and heā€™s been prescribed anti-biotics.

He has only had his ailment since he went into the garden. He was playing with my godson who is 4 and from that afternoon started with the infection.

I feel that the vet hasnā€™t been very supportive and just prescribed him without really checking him over or getting any proper facts.

The question I have is, has anyone experienced something similar with their puppy and can advise us on what to do? Iā€™m worried sick.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I haven't had that experience ,but would recommend you start him on probiotics eg. sauerkraut from refrigerated section of health food store or commercial dog probiotic such as "Probiotic Miracle" . Start him on a probiotic now, give between doses of antibiotic and continue for a couple of weeks after antibiotic is finished.

You might want to give cranberry extract pills for a while. I know [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] likes Nutramax Crananidin https://www.chewy.com/nutramax-crananidin-chewable-tablets/dp/108975

Chewy also sells other brands of cranberry that also contain d-mannose such as Project Paws Cranberry Plus D-Mannose
https://www.chewy.com/nutramax-crananidin-chewable-tablets/dp/108975

I know [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] will recommend oil of oregano but I think the cranberry plus d-mannose will work better

Also, VERY IMPORTANT, soak his food in water to make a stew to give him very diluted urine and take him out frequently to pee

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi,
Iā€™m new to this forum and I really need help. We have a 10 week old puppy. He is an English bulldog and has had blood in his urine for 48 hours.
He doesnā€™t seem sick- heā€™s eating, playing and as active as always.
We took him to the vet and heā€™s been prescribed anti-biotics. The

He has only had his ailment since he went into the garden. He was playing with my godson who is 4 and from that afternoon started with the infection.

I feel that the vet hasnā€™t been very supportive and just prescribed him without really checking him over or getting any proper facts.

The question I have is, has anyone experienced something similar with their puppy and can advise us on what to do? Iā€™m worried sick.

Hello n WELCOME!

Sorry about your little puppy. [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] gave you great advice but I definitely would change vets. If that vet canā€™t be bother to ask you to bring in a urine sample n just give you antibiotics go elsewhere as thatā€™s not a good sign. I would hold off giving the meds till you get the urine checked out first. You might have the wrong meds. So yes, go see another vet but bring a urine damp,e so they can check it immediately. Plz keep us posted.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Hello n WELCOME!

Sorry about your little puppy. [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] gave you great advice but I definitely would change vets. If that vet canā€™t be bother to ask you to bring in a urine sample n just give you antibiotics go elsewhere as thatā€™s not a good sign. I would hold off giving the meds till you get the urine checked out first. You might have the wrong meds. So yes, go see another vet but bring a urine damp,e so they can check it immediately. Plz keep us posted.

Antibiotics have probably been started, so too late for sample now. I would just give the antibiotics and hopefully the bacteria is sensitive to that antibiotic.

Since it's a puppy there's a possibility it has a congenital structural deformity of the urinary tract. If it happens again you will have to get your puppy investigated with possible surgical correction required.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.