Help Needed! Dozer has a Poss furuncle?

Mauidiver

Apr 7, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Hello all,

Well Dozer has had this bump on his foot for about a month now. Took him to the vet gave him antibiotics and a steroid for a couple weeks and it was about 90% gone. We had left over steroids which we continued to give him 1/4 of the pill a day to keep the swelling down but we finally stopped because a Bulldog on steroids is a nightmare. Lol.

The swelling is now as bad as it was in the beginning so I read in this forum to start giving him hot epson salt foot baths twice a day which I just finished his first one now.

Since we are financially struggling now due to this stupid Covid we didnā€™t go for the test route to see if itā€™s Furuncle or a cyst? Not sure if we should take him vet again or try to keep him from licking it and warm foot bath 2wice a day to see if it helps. Anyone have any suggestions for us?

Thanks,

Attachments

• C5A12B9F-EA32-48BD-A473-081B21529271.png
    C5A12B9F-EA32-48BD-A473-081B21529271.png
    611.4 KB · Views: 315

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Sorry to hear Dozer is having paw problems. When Castor has furuncles (not this big, though), we wash with chlorehexidine and then I sometimes top up with some zinx oxide ointment when he sleeps (so he won't walk around putting it on rugs and furniture!). I buy chlorehexidine at the pharmacy and put on a cotton swab that I press on the furuncle. It is what vets here tell us to use (very reluctant here to prescribe antibiotics). Just be careful with the chlorehexidine as it is strong - dilute with water and check with your vet before use!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
You could also try soaking in a dilute betadine bath daily, and then putting up Nu-Stock or Neosporin ointment or maybe even Bag Balm after bath. None of those need a Rx. You should avoid prednisone, I don't know why vet would prescribe that, I find vets like to overprescribe. If he's getting them frequently it's probably from food and/or environmental allergies. In that case I would try switching to frozen raw food and if that doesn't help add on Cytopoint shots for environmental allergies.

OP
M

Mauidiver

Apr 7, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Thank you for the guidance everyone, I just got back from our Markets pharmacy and picked up some chlorehexidine, Zinc ointment and epson salt for a warm soak 2x a day. My wife is asking if we should poke it to drain? Iā€™m thinking no, but Iā€™ll try all suggestions first. Mahaloz everyone

Epc2188

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Thank you for the guidance everyone, I just got back from our Markets pharmacy and picked up some chlorehexidine, Zinc ointment and epson salt for a warm soak 2x a day. My wife is asking if we should poke it to drain? Iā€™m thinking no, but Iā€™ll try all suggestions first. Mahaloz everyone

My guy used to get these semi often...almost the exact size. I used to drain them, soak with the epsom salt..5-10 min then dry his hand well. Wouldn't let him lick it and would sometimes have to Rubberband a sock on his hand. If i remember correctly it went away within 1-3 days.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

No poking or draining... it will slowly go away with the cleaning and soaks. Be sure to dry well and keep the paws dry, wet adds to the problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Thatā€™s between the toes n itā€™s indigital cyst. They come n go.. soak paw n dry it out. Add like ointments mentioned. I prefer bag balm. No need to go to the vet for that. EB have web feet. Happens often on them web paws. And they canā€™t swim!!

Online for about $20 or less in the USA.
Make sure itā€™s NOT the one for dogs nor the one for hands... get the one says original bag balm
54096E4D-5617-46D3-974E-2213874D44F9.jpeg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My Walter is getting these consistently here lately... I've been doing the soaks, and then putting ointment on them. I don't bust them, but he seems to bust them on his own which I'm not sure is a great idea.

OP
M

Mauidiver

Apr 7, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Undate!, After soaking his foot for about 7-8 minutes three times in Epson salt, a couple clean wipes of chlorehexidine and some Zink on his booboo itā€™s gone down about 45% and looks to be drying out. Will keep doing what yā€™all suggested as itā€™s working. Will take pic tomorrow and post. Mahaloz everyone

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.