KKandBEA

Jun 20, 2020
USA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Beatrix
Hello,

I am new to this forum and new to bulldog ownership. We adopted our EBD/Sharpei mix Beatrix about 3 weeks ago now. Although we did a lot of research before adopting and knew she could definitely have complications due to being a Brachycephalic breed, we do not know what to make of her severe coughing in the mornings when she wakes up and at night when put in the crate. It sounds almost like she is trying to clear an obstruction or cough up a hair ball (I attached a video) Our temporary vet put her on an antibiotic which she is just about finished with and we havenā€™t seen an improvement. Has anyone experienced this with their EBD or have any ideas on what may be causing this or how to make it better? We are so worried that she is in pain/struggling.

Video of her cough: https://youtu.be/QUh6DXm3a3Y

Thanks in advance!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
There could be several reasons for a cough. I am assuming That she has had some of her required shots? Did the vet listen to her heart(heart problems can result in a cough) were her lungs clear?Could be allergies, elongated palate? Did he check all these areas? @KKandBEA Someone else may have some other ideas.

OP
KKandBEA

KKandBEA

Jun 20, 2020
USA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Beatrix
There could be several reasons for a cough. I am assuming That she has had some of her required shots? Did the vet listen to her heart(heart problems can result in a cough) were her lungs clear?Could be allergies, elongated palate? Did he check all these areas? @KKandBEA Someone else may have some other ideas.

She is 12 weeks old now, but hasnā€™t had her 8 week vaccinations yet because the vet wanted to hold off until after she finished her antibiotics. She has another appt. this week, where she will be getting an x-ray and her lungs looked at.

I am really not a fan of this vet (they were the only one locally available to squeeze us in for vaccinations due to COVID delays.) But when I mentioned both allergies and the issue of an elongated palate, she seemed to kind of dismiss those concerns.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She is 12 weeks old now, but hasnā€™t had her 8 week vaccinations yet because the vet wanted to hold off until after she finished her antibiotics. She has another appt. this week, where she will be getting an x-ray and her lungs looked at.

I am really not a fan of this vet (they were the only one locally available to squeeze us in for vaccinations due to COVID delays.) But when I mentioned both allergies and the issue of an elongated palate, she seemed to kind of dismiss those concerns.

Welcome to EBN... Beatrice is freakin adorable.

Whenā€™re are you located, maybe we have a members recommended vet near you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
KKandBEA

KKandBEA

Jun 20, 2020
USA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Beatrix
Welcome to EBN... Beatrice is freakin adorable.

Whenā€™re are you located, maybe we have a members recommended vet near you

Thank you! We are in Pittsburgh, PA. We would love to see a vet that specializes or is familiar with english bulldogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you! We are in Pittsburgh, PA. We would love to see a vet that specializes or is familiar with english bulldogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry... all the PA vets are on the eastern side.

Any of the Ohio, close to the state boarder... also try a local breeder or rescue for a recommendation
e246d7a77c98f605c4c9aa5f46ba313a.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Definitely ā€œneverā€ have any shots done till this is resolved. You need to give at least an extra month after puppy is back on track. Often shots creates health issues if theyā€™re already sick. If you donā€™t like your vet means your gut telling you something. Elongated palate is very rare at that age.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.