Appropriate Age To Spay?

GracefulLily

May 19, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Izellah
Izellah is a little over a year old now and I'm wondering when I should have her spayed. I wanted to keep her intact until she has completely stopped growing because we do a lot of activities together and I want her joints to be in perfect condition. But I'm not sure if spaying her now would change anything. What age would be a good age to spay her without it affecting her negatively?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Izellah is a little over a year old now and I'm wondering when I should have her spayed. I wanted to keep her intact until she has completely stopped growing because we do a lot of activities together and I want her joints to be in perfect condition. But I'm not sure if spaying her now would change anything. What age would be a good age to spay her without it affecting her negatively?

Very good decision! More n more owners wait till after 1-2 hear cycles. In Europe itā€™s the opposite as mos will leave then intact. Itā€™s more of a western side getting spayed or neutered. In a way I understand as way too many unwanted pregnancies. What I do with my dogs are vasectomies. Keeps all intact but canā€™t produce as we know.. like humans. Females same you just get the tubes tided. You need a vet that does this as itā€™s not taught in vet school. I always ask ā€œhow many times theyā€™ve done the procedure,ā€

OP
G

GracefulLily

May 19, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Izellah
Does that mean it would be okay to keep her intact for the rest of her life? I've heard about mammory tumors and pyometa which I've done a lot of research on but it hasn't made me come any closer to a decision.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I had had mostly female dogs.(just 3 males) and have usually had them spayed at a year old. No problems with any, and no heat related problems. Had two who had a litter of pups, but was planned.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Does that mean it would be okay to keep her intact for the rest of her life? I've heard about mammory tumors and pyometa which I've done a lot of research on but it hasn't made me come any closer to a decision.

I have only had one female, I had her spay at 6 months and she didnā€™t have any issues with growing or joints. It is best to let one heat cycle go through, many believe best to spay after one year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Nowadays with all the studies between the western side n Europe, thereā€™s no evidence saying spaying/neuter needs to be done. Definitely if youā€™re reading studies just from Western side they tend to say ā€œyesā€ for spaying or neutering. Why itā€™s important to read both sides. Lots of vets are mostly from the old school. I personally will never use the old mentally vets even in human doctors. Too much advanced technology now n yet some vets wonā€™t think out of the box. I have 2 vets. One that thinks out of the box n never will give meds cause of ā€œit can be or a maybeā€ itā€™s this or that. Then I have a holistic vet which I use mostly that method. All these issues of joints, tumors, cancer, diabetes etc etc for me itā€™s basically ā€œhow you feed your dog.ā€ Food is the source of a healthy immune system. Just like in humans. Definitely no one even pets are immune to the world but....I am a firm believer if you feed your dog a raw diet, treat like whole raw frozen fish or veggies n some fruits, never over supplement a pet with vitamins, oils etc, you will have a healthy pet. And yes definitely exercise. The more they move the better joints/muscles donā€™t tend to let go. I follow the seasonā€™s temperature for exercise as you know living in Canada is like Russian Roulette. Unless your in BC. Even at -30ā€™s I will make a point they run in the backyard for a few laps.

At the end of the day, it will be up to you. Even with tubes tide they still get cycles. You willing to deal with it or not? I always had males, my last 2 are vasectomies. Nyala was my first female sheā€™s going to be 5 n she was spayed at 6 months. I didnā€™t know better as definitely if I get another female itā€™s tube tie. Do your homework then decide whatā€™s best for everyone. I will try to find you this study thatā€™s ā€œnotā€ written for one side only. I personally find the comparison was that Europe had it right. Keep then intact. Again Thantā€™s me...

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.