A seizure of some sort?

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Something weird just happened with Buster. I didn't see exactly how it started but the first thing I did see was him coming toward me, dry-humping, penis exposed. Then he started spinning and throwing himself around, shaking his head, then rubbing his face and head on the carpet. He never fell on his side or anything like a grand-mal seizure. It was not normal, having fun being silly type of behaviour. I have had a dog that had grand mal seizures and it was nothing like this. He is now subdued and sleepy which makes me think seizure, but what kind?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That is strange... it does sound like Cheli when he has an energy burst, but without seeing it I wouldn’t be sure

I pray he is OK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh gosh... does sound unusual, keep the phone around so you can catch him on camera.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Hope Buster is feeling well now?

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
He seems perfectly fine today. The more I think about it, the more I think it was a bit of a perfect storm! He rubs the base of his spine/top of his tail on the coffee table and that does set him off sometimes. I couldn't see him but my husband thinks he was doing that. Also, he had started shaking his head a bit so I think his ears were bothering him. They are a constant battle as he gets very heavy wax and I really have to keep on top of it. I have some prescription drops for him so I started him on those again. I think the two things combined at that particular moment is what did it. That is my theory for now anyway. We are keeping a close eye on him with phone at the ready, just in case.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sounds like he may have gotten himself aroused from rubbing on the table, and did a "happy dance!" Do hope that is all it was! :eek:

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Dont know about how the "happy" part would fit into this for sure but i do know that any stimulation may kick off a vertigo situation if they have ear issues. My daughters pug did some weird circling and strange rolling type thing and just so different that i had never seen. I rushed her in, and she had developed *vertigo* prob her age/ear issue at the time. Just something to consider.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Dont know about how the "happy" part would fit into this for sure but i do know that any stimulation may kick off a vertigo situation if they have ear issues. My daughters pug did some weird circling and strange rolling type thing and just so different that i had never seen. I rushed her in, and she had developed *vertigo* prob her age/ear issue at the time. Just something to consider.

Thank you. I think this explains it! Yes, it certainly wasn't what we usually call the "mad half-hour" AKA Zoomies. It's a catch-all phrase for us, not that it lasts anywhere near that long plus it also applies to the cat charging around!

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, Buster had another episode today but we are almost positive what it is. Anal glands! This time he started spinning on his butt and fly-biting so that was the giveaway. I took him to the vet and one side was very full and the other clear. Let's hope that is the end of it and we will now know what his signs are for the next time! He did start rubbing his face and head on the carpet again but that is probably his ears still bothering him. Will watch and see.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well, Buster had another episode today but we are almost positive what it is. Anal glands! This time he started spinning on his butt and fly-biting so that was the giveaway. I took him to the vet and one side was very full and the other clear. Let's hope that is the end of it and we will now know what his signs are for the next time! He did start rubbing his face and head on the carpet again but that is probably his ears still bothering him. Will watch and see.

Great catch! Hopefully this is it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online