Tumors (clusters) in the Ear Canal

Feb 19, 2013
Tucson, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Georgie Girl
Before I call the Vet tomorrow, can anyone give me a short experience or education in ear tumor clusters in my bulldog's ear? I just took her to the Vet 2 weeks ago for a vaginal discharge and while there had him flush out her ears because I was constantly extracting waxy stuff from them. Today I noticed she how has a "cluster" in one ear which concerns me. In my internet research the picture of cluster ear tumors in dogs looks exactly like what she has. She is 12 1/2 yrs old and I'm afraid to put her under anesthesia if need be. Thank you for your input.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
OH gosh... I have zero experience w/this, what did the vet say?!!

OP
Barbara Ray Linker
Feb 19, 2013
Tucson, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Georgie Girl
I took her to the Vet this morning. He says it is most likely benign, does not want to put her under because of her age (12 1/2) and the breathing issues so common among bulldogs. He gave me Mometamax to put 6-8 drops in each ear 1x/day for 2 weeks because there is infection. Meanwhile, I had her check on her weight loss because she has lost 10lbs in 3mos and she is looking too thin. He took blood for testing and I took him a urine sample and he will call me around Tuesday next week with results. I know some day I'm going to have to make a decision whether to put her down but I really don't want to. She was my husbands sidekick until he passed away 3 years ago, and she has been such a comfort to me. I pray that when it is her time she just won't wake up. It's hard...and I'm torn.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@Barbara Ray Linker I totally know your feelings, on both situations. As for your girl, She will let you know when her time comes-and no matter when, it will be so hard,but I know also how hard it is to have to make the decision. Sending prayer for a longer life for your girl :pray: You are lucky she is still with you.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Before I call the Vet tomorrow, can anyone give me a short experience or education in ear tumor clusters in my bulldog's ear? I just took her to the Vet 2 weeks ago for a vaginal discharge and while there had him flush out her ears because I was constantly extracting waxy stuff from them. Today I noticed she how has a "cluster" in one ear which concerns me. In my internet research the picture of cluster ear tumors in dogs looks exactly like what she has. She is 12 1/2 yrs old and I'm afraid to put her under anesthesia if need be. Thank you for your input.

My dog got a bit of vaginal discharge ( clear ) , with no increased urination,and I put on some of [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] favourite mixture,Bag Balm, by putting some on a cosmetic pad. https://www.amazon.com/Vermonts-Bag-Balm-Conditions-Lanolin-Based/dp/B01F38WKRE/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=bag+balm&qid=1591402197&sr=8-3

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I took her to the Vet this morning. He says it is most likely benign, does not want to put her under because of her age (12 1/2) and the breathing issues so common among bulldogs. He gave me Mometamax to put 6-8 drops in each ear 1x/day for 2 weeks because there is infection. Meanwhile, I had her check on her weight loss because she has lost 10lbs in 3mos and she is looking too thin. He took blood for testing and I took him a urine sample and he will call me around Tuesday next week with results. I know some day I'm going to have to make a decision whether to put her down but I really don't want to. She was my husbands sidekick until he passed away 3 years ago, and she has been such a comfort to me. I pray that when it is her time she just won't wake up. It's hard...and I'm torn.

Hope she's ok, sorry to hear what's going on. My dog used to get ear infections and I eventually put her on frozen raw dog food and weekly Zymox HC Otic ( lately EcoEars instead of Zymox because it's cheaper in Canada ). Once you've finished the Mometamax maybe consider prophylactic Zymox.

OP
Barbara Ray Linker
Feb 19, 2013
Tucson, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Georgie Girl
The Vet called me today (Tuesday) and her blood work is excellent. Her urine showed alot of crystals so he suggests I put her on a special food for urinary issues (Royal Canin or Hills). I asked about her weight loss and he said they could xray her for cancer (I thought the blood test was going to tell that...evidently not). I told him no. I've already spend over $1200 in 3 months on her. I told him when she finishes her current bag of food I'll consider a change.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
The Vet called me today (Tuesday) and her blood work is excellent. Her urine showed alot of crystals so he suggests I put her on a special food for urinary issues (Royal Canin or Hills). I asked about her weight loss and he said they could xray her for cancer (I thought the blood test was going to tell that...evidently not). I told him no. I've already spend over $1200 in 3 months on her. I told him when she finishes her current bag of food I'll consider a change.

Sorry to hear about crystals, it's one thing after another. The quality of those foods the vets sell you are usually pretty bad. Can you ask him what kind of crystals they were? Depending on the type, you can acidify or alkalinize the urine with medications and check urine pH with a pH meter or strips. Most importantly, make sure she's drinking a lot of water and if not , add water to her food so she will lap up her food in a stew like form.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Im sorry to hear this Barbara but danged if these guys here sure got your back.. I do know that its extremely important to know which kind of crystals it is so vet should be able to tell you that and then these friends here can guide you on the right direction. At her age, as long as shes comfortable, i surly wouldnt worry if they are bad lumps or not. AND,,,, I know frankincense does wonders with lumps but i'll leave that info for Helene to address ;) Blessings on you and your baby girl.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)

Good news about the blood work but sorry to hear that there was some issue with crystals. I believe [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] can give you input on crystals.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto

You ALWAYS have to know what type of crystals are present. There are a few different types and with some you are better of with special food. Some my gos way with just better food. I would think a bag of food isn't much more money at this point if it can save you money on future vet bills?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Yes like most said ā€œwhat kindā€ of crystals. I had that issue with Nyala as a pup for weeks n got fed up of her going back n forth to the vet. I decided to homecook for her. After a weekish everything disappeared. Iā€™m a big believer in broth. For tumors especially at that age Iā€™m sure she doesnā€™t want to start being poked here n there. I say this often frankincense is known to shrink tumours. I personally would give a good probiotic n frankincense from either Young living or DoTerra. No other brands. I would put one to two drop mixed in her food daily. Not more. Iā€™ve research this for years. I also know this lady which I see monthly as she buys my products, asked her how she was feeling as I know she has cancer. She kept a secret for months she was taking 2 drops under her tongue of frankincense from YL. That month I saw her n her daughter, she told me she was cancer free. I asked her how chemo n radiation went as itā€™s harsh on any body. Thatā€™s when she told me she was talking Frankincense. She didnā€™t need to explain the rest as I already know how powerful that oil is. That being said, I will only ā€œsuggestā€ people what to do n would never tell them to do it as itā€™s up to the individual to decide n do their homework on all oils before using. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers to you both.

I agree.. you need to know what type of crystals before doing any change of ffod or treatment.

What food are you feeding now?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.