General Question Thinking about switching to Sentinel Spectrum...?

Manrae

Mar 11, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiwi
Good Morning all!

My bulldog Kiwi is currently on Nexgard flea/tick and Interceptor plus heartworm meds. I'm thinking about switching to a combo medication like Sentinel Spectrum (I know it doesn't cover ticks). Kiwi doesn't mind taking the Nexgard because its small and chewy, but the Interceptor is larger and harder and she has a tendency to not chew very well so she will swallow it whole and choke. Even when I break it into small pieces she still manages to start coughing from swallowing it. Ive tried peanut butter, Greek yogurt, crushing it up, but I think she just overall hates the taste and I don't want her choking every time she takes it. So I'm hoping anyone out their also gives there dog Sentinel Spectrum to see if they've had any good or bad experiences. Kiwi is 56lbs btw.

Thank you!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Hi. I have given Sentinel Spectrum and my dog didn't mind the taste. I since switched to Interceptor Spectrum because I also use K9 Advantix II lotion for flea and tick so I didn't need the flea birth control ingredient (lufenuron) in the Sentinel pill. I don't consider lufenuron very useful as it doesn't kill fleas, just prevents them from reproducing. My dog likes the taste of Interceptor Spectrum as well.

If you need flea and tick prevention you could also give Nexgard Spectra which has Nexgard plus heartworm medication. I'm not sure how it tastes.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I use the Sentinel Spectrum and have never had any issues. Ticks are not an issue for the area I live in.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Good Morning all!

My bulldog Kiwi is currently on Nexgard flea/tick and Interceptor plus heartworm meds. I'm thinking about switching to a combo medication like Sentinel Spectrum (I know it doesn't cover ticks). Kiwi doesn't mind taking the Nexgard because its small and chewy, but the Interceptor is larger and harder and she has a tendency to not chew very well so she will swallow it whole and choke. Even when I break it into small pieces she still manages to start coughing from swallowing it. Ive tried peanut butter, Greek yogurt, crushing it up, but I think she just overall hates the taste and I don't want her choking every time she takes it. So I'm hoping anyone out their also gives there dog Sentinel Spectrum to see if they've had any good or bad experiences. Kiwi is 56lbs btw.

Thank you!

I donā€™t use any of these products. I did once n my dog was sick... why I turned to essential oil mix I make. Never had issues. Fleas, ticks, mosquitos do not land on my dogs either.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/the-dangers-of-flea-and-tick-products/

14 oz of Witch Hazel
12 drops of Lavender
15 drops of Citronella
15 drops of Lemongrass

Put all in a spray bottle and shake.

Also in the summer I always put a couple drops of straight lavender oil on top of the dog collars.

Iā€™m more on the holistic side. I Personally wouldnā€™t put any commercial flea, tick, mosquito products as itā€™s all based with pesticides. But thatā€™s me.. I walk mt dogs in the Rockies n never had issues. Lots of mosquitos to here, no problem... :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I use Sentinel on both of my dogs, and we've never had an issue...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have used Sentinel for many years with four dogs, never an issue or reaction

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.