Leg hip problems what are the symptoms?

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
We have noticed over the last few weeks Dudley’s back legs, mainly his left one are slipping backwards slightly when he walks on our wooden floors.

To be honest it could of been going on longer but we didn’t notice it but now we are purposely looking out for it.

Obviously our floors are slippy anyway but it does seem more pronounced than it has been before?

Its hard to tell if he is having problems doing anything else such as jumping or getting up or walking up steps because he always looks like its slightly laboured unless its something he actually wants to do or somewhere he wants to go!

Unfortunately since lockdown 9 weeks ago his walks have been a lot less often so not sure if this has had an effect on his overall leg strength.

We do keep trying to cut his nails which are longer due to less walks and he has more fur in his pads than before also due to fewer walks both of these i also think are making grip harder on the wooden floors.

He has been to the vets twice in past 2 weeks due to our concerns the first time he was put on an anti inflammatory but didnt seem to do anything.

The second time (yesterday) he had an actual physical examination and the vet couldn’t find anything obvious wrong with his back or hip/leg joints and didnt think it was worth at this point going ahead with any xrays or mri scans but instead just to closely monitor him and see if it progresses at all.

He feels it is more likely an arthritic problem rather than neurological at this point.

So, my question is has anyone else experienced something like this?

Thanks
Simon.

EllieMay

Oct 6, 2019
Marshall Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinder
How old is Dudley? Whatever is going on, it will be very beneficial for him if you get some rugs. My whole house is tile so I bought a large area rug and several runners when my bully was having some issues.. she gravitates to them. The slippery surface is really hard on those joints.

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi Heather thanks for the reply, yes we already have as much floor covered as possible with rugs we got them soon after we got Dudley hes 5 and half :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Walter is like this... we call it when he "stiff legs", and usually he's in a grumpy mood when it happens. I have mentioned it to the vet, and of course when she checks him over he's completely fine. I have been giving them both MOVOFLEX to see if that helps, he's just getting old like me... Lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lambeau is always like that UNLESS he is out for a walk, the back leg slips and doesn't real lift it to 'walk'. But when on a walk in the neighborhood, he lifts it and there is no sliding of the leg. I wonder if it is laziness or just the hardwood floor and less traction

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the replies, after a lot of thought we are going to get Dudley x-rayed to see if there is something causing it, i am permanently worried about him at the moment but as we all know thats what happens when you own a bully :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online