How do you "Disinfect" your dog after people touch them during COVID-19

Feb 9, 2020
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
Hello Ive been walking my dog a lot lately because he's so active and wants to walk all the time but every time we walk people especially kids can't help but pet him because he is too damn cute. I would stay away when I hold the leash also I do wear a mask. But how do you "disinfect" after people pet him. I always keep an eye especially where they touch him so Id know specifically what to wipe. But What product? Is normal dog wipes good enough? or it should be an antiseptic?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I wouldn't let people pet your dog, since the virus can stay viable for a short period of time and you could possibly pet your dog and then touch your nose during that short period of time that the virus is infectious. It is only a small risk however and I wouldn't wipe your dog with antiseptic since bulldogs tend to have sensitive skin. You could put a dab of baby shampoo on a cloth and wash the area and then rinse it off with another cloth if you are really anxious about it.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello Ive been walking my dog a lot lately because he's so active and wants to walk all the time but every time we walk people especially kids can't help but pet him because he is too damn cute. I would stay away when I hold the leash also I do wear a mask. But how do you "disinfect" after people pet him. I always keep an eye especially where they touch him so Id know specifically what to wipe. But What product? Is normal dog wipes good enough? or it should be an antiseptic?

IMO, let the kids pet away. There is no danger to a dog. Iā€™ve researched this none stop. This covid like Iā€™ve mentioned in other post has been blown too far. Media is putting so much fear into people itā€™s ridiculous. Here in Canada 80% that died are ALL seniors from health care facilities n people with weak immune system. Exactly like influenza would do on a yearly base which basically kills more. If it worries you that much simply get 2oz of fractionated coconut oil the clear one n add 10 drops lavender. Shake well n spritz on. Now thatā€™s MY. 2 cents on this covid.

https://www.health.com/condition/cold-flu-sinus/how-many-people-die-of-the-flu-every-year

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
IMO, let the kids pet away. There is no danger to a dog. Iā€™ve researched this none stop. This covid like Iā€™ve mentioned in other post has been blown too far. Media is putting so much fear into people itā€™s ridiculous. Here in Canada 80% that died are ALL seniors from health care facilities n people with weak immune system. Exactly like influenza would do on a yearly base which basically kills more. If it worries you that much simply get 2oz of fractionated coconut oil the clear one n add 10 drops lavender. Shake well n spritz on. Now thatā€™s MY. 2 cents on this covid.

https://www.health.com/condition/cold-flu-sinus/how-many-people-die-of-the-flu-every-year

So how would you feel if you were asymptomatic and passed the virus onto someone who died? Is it fine because they were old or had a weakened immune system? I have my own feelings on this whole thing but I sure as hell ainā€™t trying to kill anyone because Iā€™m tired of being at home. My momā€™s friend died from it. My brotherā€™s friendā€™s husband died from it and someone I know just had their grandmother die from it. Itā€™s not the flu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
So how would you feel if you were asymptomatic and passed the virus onto someone who died? Is it fine because they were old or had a weakened immune system? I have my own feelings on this whole thing but I sure as hell ainā€™t trying to kill anyone because Iā€™m tired of being at home. My momā€™s friend died from it. My brotherā€™s friendā€™s husband died from it and someone I know just had their grandmother die from it. Itā€™s not the flu.ent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please donā€™t get me wrong here, yes definitely covid does exist but like influenza or even a regular cold, if youā€™re sick, you stay home. This is why our elders are dying. But if you look at the studies n proven facts, influenza, covid, a cold will harm anyone that has a weak immune system. My best friend back home her daughter in law works with autism children n was asked by the government to go help out in health care facilities to clean up the belongings of the seniors that passed away cause they are short of staff. I asked the daughter-in-law as I know her well, why on earth didnā€™t the government knowingly that these homes were all affected not taken seriously. She said, governments were not taking this seriously till it was too late. They put their energy elsewhere before in these facilities and now our elders are dying n we have to put their belongings in bags. She drives home crying n straight into the shower before touching anything in the house or her partner. At the end of the day, ANY health issues a person have n donā€™t matter who they are or what age, you stay home. Covid creeps up fast. I sure wouldnā€™t go visit my mother even with a sniffle. Itā€™s plain logic cause of their age. But pets, there is absolutely no proof anywhere that died or can transferred covid. There was a pug but now seems theyā€™re not sure if it was that.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
The big difference between seasonal flu and Covid19 is that Covid19 seems to spread much more easily. This is why it's so dangerous; even if young and healthy people don't fall ill, they may still carry and spread the virus to people who are at risk (the elderly and people with pre-existing medical conditions, for instance).
[MENTION=19484]walterenglishbulldog[/MENTION] I think this might be a time when it's best to say no when people want to pet your dog, not because there is a major risk that those people will infect you via your dog, but because they will get so close to you when they pet your dog. It's debatable whether face masks are efficient; more safe to keep a distance and to wash your hands very carefully as soon as you come home.

I know it's not easy - our Castor loves people. We have to remind him every day about the importance of social distancing, but he just doesn't get it :-)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
The big difference between seasonal flu and Covid19 is that Covid19 seems to spread much more easily. This is why it's so dangerous; even if young and healthy people don't fall ill, they may still carry and spread the virus to people who are at risk (the elderly and people with pre-existing medical conditions, for instance).
[MENTION=19484]walterenglishbulldog[/MENTION] I think this might be a time when it's best to say no when people want to pet your dog, not because there is a major risk that those people will infect you via your dog, but because they will get so close to you when they pet your dog. It's debatable whether face masks are efficient; more safe to keep a distance and to wash your hands very carefully as soon as you come home.

I know it's not easy - our Castor loves people. We have to remind him every day about the importance of social distancing, but he just doesn't get it :-)

Exactly! This spreads so much faster than the seasonal flu. And people have it and donā€™t even know it! So in that case you canā€™t just ā€œstay home when sickā€ because you donā€™t even know you have it hence all of the stay at home orders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.