Idiopathic head tremors????

OP
J

JoeysMom

Mar 31, 2011
Long island, ny
Bulldog(s) Names
Joseph Harley (Joey)
Well the vet said it was definitely a tick or head tremor. I showed him the video.. It was hopefully the inner ear infection that was causing them though. I will try to upload the video.

Jzepeda87

Apr 22, 2011
Berwyn,il
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky, Rocks,Papa, Charlie lol i dont know y
Hello my name is Jenna,

My bulldog rocky just had his first head tremor yesterday...we rushed him to the ER and well they told us it was idiopathic head tremors...referred us to a neurologist...pretty scary especially because never seen or knew any dog that had this condition.....

If anyone has any suggestions/advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Rocky is only 10 Months old and 60lbs..... :-(

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
They are scary...especially because we dont like seeing anything wrong with our bullies. Winston also gets head tremors. I have read so many conflicting reports on them. It does seem to be linked to blood sugar levels. I give Win a bit of vanilla ice cream or squirt a little honey in his mouth and it usually stops right away. Hope this helps you....

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Hello my name is Jenna,

My bulldog rocky just had his first head tremor yesterday...we rushed him to the ER and well they told us it was idiopathic head tremors...referred us to a neurologist...pretty scary especially because never seen or knew any dog that had this condition.....

If anyone has any suggestions/advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Rocky is only 10 Months old and 60lbs..... :-(

I agree, this can be very scary especially when you don't know what it is. I did tons of research on bulldogs before and after I got Samson but I never read anything about these. Last Sept 2009 (Samson would have been 3.5 yrs old) my boyfriend was gone hunting so it was just Samson and I in our bed. At like 5am in the morning I started feeling the bed shake and at first I thought it was an earthquake, then I saw Sams head bobbing. He sat up and he was still doing it, I have to tell you I can't remember the last time I was so scared. I started freaking out, I was started crying hysterically because I had no idea what was happening. I figured it was very serious. So I called my vet, I was ready to get in the car and leave that minute. My vet is a 24 hour facility so I was able to talk to a doctor right then. He asked me a bunch of questions and told me it was probably these head tremors. He was always alert, could walk, acted pretty normal besides the head bob. I made an appointment for a check up, he had a full exam. Physical, parasite testing, blood work, everything. He was perfectly healthy. My vet told me only to worry if anything changes about the episodes like he collapses, if his whole body starts shaking. He has had a couple since, maybe once every few months and it's always been the same. I haven't noticed it being a blood sugar thing myself, I have noticed that if I give Samson something to focus on it will stop, whether its playing or eating, just something to focus his attention elsewhere. Then if its in bed where getting up to feed him or play with him isn't convenient I just let it run its course. It is a truly terrifying experience if it happens and you aren't expecting it, have never seen it or heard of it before. For Samson it has always been just his head, no other part of his body has ever moved/switched, he is always alert, can walk, give kisses, give the paw, eat.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
@JoeysMom

Check out this thread ... it includes my video of Maggie having a head tremor.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...954-head-tremors-caused-over-stimulation.html

There are some bully owners on here who will tell you that it is blood sugar related, and that is the case in their situation. However, it is NOT the case in Maggies, or in @KMARINO and Vegas.

It happens to Maggie when she is over-stimulated by the thought of getting a treat. This can be shortly after she has just gulped down a bowl of food, veggies and natural yogurt. Giving her food does not stop the head tremors, but distracting her does.

So, don't immediately assume it's blood sugar level but keep an open mind that it could be something else that triggers it.

Bulldogs ARE prone to having them, but it doesn't seem to affect them in any way. They are not suffering, and it's quite common for them to play and act normally despite these strange head movements. I think it's more painful for us to watch, and for the most part they are completely oblivious to what is happening.

I hope that helps!!! :hug:

[MENTION=2263]Jzepeda87[/MENTION] This is what I wrote in a previous post .... check out my link that shows Maggie having a head tremor on youtube. Is this what your bully did?? If so there is nothing a neurologist can do about it ... nobody really knows for sure what causes head tremors. Let me know if this is what you experienced.

Jzepeda87

Apr 22, 2011
Berwyn,il
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes that is exactly what happened to my bulldog...it's happened 7 times in two days...worried bout him but all your information plus the info from the vet is very helpful...thank u

Jenna Zepeda

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Yes that is exactly what happened to my bulldog...it's happened 7 times in two days...worried bout him but all your information plus the info from the vet is very helpful...thank u

Jenna Zepeda

I feel for you.. Duke has never had these but I have read alot about them in bulldogs.. this site is amazing for you to ask questions and get the support you need from others who have gone through this.. Welcome , he is such a cutie...:)

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Chunk has also had head tremors ... His are triggered by medicine. His previous owner made me aware of this but I didn't experience it until after his eye surgery. We were giving him benadryl to help with the healing and within 24 hours of his first dose he developed the tremors. We then learned that the other time he had them was when he was on treatment for worms (not sure which kind - he was about 6 months old). So we keep away from these meds as much as possible. Chunk's previous vet also suggested the vanilla ice cream to help relieve them. I do also remember reading on here about giving them granola of sorts to help.

I hope you figure out what it is. I would take a look at everything he eats. So much with these babies relates back to their food.

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] has a lot of experience with this and will be able to help you xx
Good luck with your boy :hug2: I believe they can be linked to low blood sugars try giving a little peanut butter xx

Agreed...bullys can be hypoglycepic just like people. A treat with some sugar in it like peanut butter or even bananas will help with this :) This seems to be a lot more common in the warmer weather too. Hope your baby feels better!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)

Jenna Zepeda

[MENTION=2263]Jzepeda87[/MENTION] How is he today??

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson

Jenna Zepeda

For some reason Samson had alot in the first couples days they started as well. Like after the first one he had he had like at least 5 more that day. Then like 2 the next and just slowly tapered off to only one like every couple months. I know at some point another member said they experienced the same thing, that their bully had alot more when they FIRST started.

Jzepeda87

Apr 22, 2011
Berwyn,il
Bulldog(s) Names
He is actually better today, were crossing our fingers, no tremors since 4:58pm yesterday...knock on wood...so hopefully it stays this way......

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306951773.839145.jpg
Funny picture, last night snoozing!!!

Jenna Zepeda

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
So are you going to see what happens .. or go ahead with the neurologist ... they can get expensive!!! Luckily I had insurance for Maggie when we had to take her in for an unrelated problem!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Awww that pic is so cute! Glad everything is going better!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.