Idiopathic head tremors????

JoeysMom

Mar 31, 2011
Long island, ny
Bulldog(s) Names
Joseph Harley (Joey)
Hi everyone!!

My Joey is giving me a real scare today.. I was sitting on the floor with him and he all of sudden got up an his head starting shaken like a bobble head.. It was almost like a seizure but it was only his head that was shaking. I called my mother who works at a vet and she never heard of it.. All of joeys vitals were good.. No foaming, pink tongue, and he was completely conscious.. Even gave me his paw.. I was just trying to hug him and comfort him.. I starting doing research and I found that this can b common in bulldogs.. He has never done this before though. He just did it again n it lasted for about 4-5 mins.. It so scary.. Does anyone know wut these idiopathic head tremors are??

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
HI there. I have heard of this with English bulldogs. I am going to try and find you the thread on here that was just posted this week.. the bulldog was doing the same thing..

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I am new here and not sure how to link you to the thread but if you scroll down in this section to Rosie started having seizures today and read through alot of the other owners have experienced this. Hope this helps! :hug2:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Baby Duke is right on track. Several members here have experienced this. That thread has some good discussion and videos to help you distinguish between head tremors or more serious seziures.

additionally at the bottom of all threads you'll see suggestions for similar threads on topics. Several are listed after this one all talking about head tremors.

Good luck with your little guy.

Last edited:
OP
J

JoeysMom

Mar 31, 2011
Long island, ny
Bulldog(s) Names
Joseph Harley (Joey)
Thanks I will check it out.. I'm on my phone so it's hard to get to all the threads.. I will jump on my laptop.. I was just so scared.. It just happened again but he is fine.. Jumping around and playing with his toys.. I have an appt at the vet 1st thing tomorrow.. Thanks again

Rosiesmom

Apr 3, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie aka Rosebud, Rosie Posie
You are not alone! Rosie had her first episode last week and let me tell you I freaked out! $200 later I found out they were not seizures, and were the appearantly ever-common head tremors. But I did not get that diagnosis from my vet, I got it from all of the wonderful bully owners on this site. My vet had never heard of such a thing and wanted to start Rosie on phenobarb, thinking it was seizures. Luckily, I turned to my new friends on EBN and they assured me that head tremors are common, not painful and gave me some wonderful suggestions on how to deal with them. They even sent me links to watch a bully having full-blown seizures (made me cry to watch it) and some having head tremors so that I could compare the two to what Rosie was doing. She definately has head tremors. It is very scarey I know, but rest assured it is not painful (atleast to them) and from what I read can be managed/controlled, sometimes through diet alone. Look on my previous post "Rosie started having seizures today" and read all of the threads. The people on here (I've been telling my husband they are my "new friends online":)) are so wonderful and knowledgeable, they will help put your mind at ease! Joey will be fine I'm sure! Hugs!!
Also, Rosies episodes last from a minute to as long as 15 minutes so don't be alarmed if it seems like it goes on forever!

L

Lucy-licious

[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] has a lot of experience with this and will be able to help you xx
Good luck with your boy :hug2: I believe they can be linked to low blood sugars try giving a little peanut butter xx

Last edited:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Yes I have experienced it once with Vegas, my husband took Vegas's special stuffie away and was teasing him with it, (totally playing with him) he started doing the bobble head and jerking of the head, and I freaked out. I went immediately on this site then to the vet, all was in agreement...OVER-stimultated and I guess pretty common in this breed. My husband is grounded indefinately from Vegas's stuffed Monkey.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Yes I have experienced it once with Vegas, my husband took Vegas's special stuffie away and was teasing him with it, (totally playing with him) he started doing the bobble head and jerking of the head, and I freaked out. I went immediately on this site then to the vet, all was in agreement...OVER-stimultated and I guess pretty common in this breed. My husband is grounded indefinately from Vegas's stuffed Monkey.

thank you for sharing that.. I didn't realize this could happen from being over stimulated..I have to be careful. Our Duke LOVES my son Ryan but when he comes home from school.. Duke thinks he is his own personal toy. I worry sometimes that "play" gets too rough.I can tell when Duke has had enough but because my son is not around that much he doesn't ... very interesting.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hi everyone!!

My Joey is giving me a real scare today.. I was sitting on the floor with him and he all of sudden got up an his head starting shaken like a bobble head.. It was almost like a seizure but it was only his head that was shaking. I called my mother who works at a vet and she never heard of it.. All of joeys vitals were good.. No foaming, pink tongue, and he was completely conscious.. Even gave me his paw.. I was just trying to hug him and comfort him.. I starting doing research and I found that this can b common in bulldogs.. He has never done this before though. He just did it again n it lasted for about 4-5 mins.. It so scary.. Does anyone know wut these idiopathic head tremors are??

@JoeysMom

Check out this thread ... it includes my video of Maggie having a head tremor.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...954-head-tremors-caused-over-stimulation.html

There are some bully owners on here who will tell you that it is blood sugar related, and that is the case in their situation. However, it is NOT the case in Maggies, or in @KMARINO and Vegas.

It happens to Maggie when she is over-stimulated by the thought of getting a treat. This can be shortly after she has just gulped down a bowl of food, veggies and natural yogurt. Giving her food does not stop the head tremors, but distracting her does.

So, don't immediately assume it's blood sugar level but keep an open mind that it could be something else that triggers it.

Bulldogs ARE prone to having them, but it doesn't seem to affect them in any way. They are not suffering, and it's quite common for them to play and act normally despite these strange head movements. I think it's more painful for us to watch, and for the most part they are completely oblivious to what is happening.

I hope that helps!!! :hug:

OP
J

JoeysMom

Mar 31, 2011
Long island, ny
Bulldog(s) Names
Joseph Harley (Joey)
Thanks everyone!! I was soooo freaked out!! I was watching YouTube videos and I was sure that it was the head tremors. I was sitting with him all day and I thought of the low blood sugar so I gave him a lil Caro syrup and a spoonful of peanutbutter.. I took Joe to the vet yesterday and it wasn't his blood sugar.... It was a really bad inner ear infection!!! On one site that I read it said that something could be triggering the tremor.. And he could be in some sort of pain and that's the way his brain was dealing with it because the pain mist have been really bad.. Since the ear infection is so deep it must be really painful!!! :( my poor baby!!! It's so way deep in the ear canal I couldn't see anything.. They gave him a really good ear flush and some medicine and he has NOT had a tremor since!!!!! That was soooo scary!!! I knew something had to be wrong since he has never had a tremor before and it was happening ever hour or so on Sunday.. At least i am praying thats what it was!!!

Thank you again for all of the support!!!!
Sandy and Joey

OP
J

JoeysMom

Mar 31, 2011
Long island, ny
Bulldog(s) Names
Joseph Harley (Joey)
Is there a place on here to upload the video I took of him??? Maybe it could someone else to see joeys head tremor..

Rosiesmom

Apr 3, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie aka Rosebud, Rosie Posie
Thanks everyone!! I was soooo freaked out!! I was watching YouTube videos and I was sure that it was the head tremors. I was sitting with him all day and I thought of the low blood sugar so I gave him a lil Caro syrup and a spoonful of peanutbutter.. I took Joe to the vet yesterday and it wasn't his blood sugar.... It was a really bad inner ear infection!!! On one site that I read it said that something could be triggering the tremor.. And he could be in some sort of pain and that's the way his brain was dealing with it because the pain mist have been really bad.. Since the ear infection is so deep it must be really painful!!! :( my poor baby!!! It's so way deep in the ear canal I couldn't see anything.. They gave him a really good ear flush and some medicine and he has NOT had a tremor since!!!!! That was soooo scary!!! I knew something had to be wrong since he has never had a tremor before and it was happening ever hour or so on Sunday.. At least i am praying thats what it was!!!

Thank you again for all of the support!!!!
Sandy and Joey
Poor Joey! I'm glad you figured out what was triggering them. I can't blame him, I've had ear infections that make me want to shake my head uncontrollably too!:) Hope he gets to feeling better!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online