Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Idiopathic head tremors????

Bulldog(s) Names
    Joseph Harley (Joey)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Idiopathic head tremors????

Thanks everyone!! I was soooo freaked out!! I was watching YouTube videos and I was sure that it was the head tremors. I was sitting with him all day and I thought of the low blood sugar so I gave him a lil Caro syrup and a spoonful of peanutbutter.. I took Joe to the vet yesterday and it wasn't his blood sugar.... It was a really bad inner ear infection!!! On one site that I read it said that something could be triggering the tremor.. And he could be in some sort of pain and that's the way his brain was dealing with it because the pain mist have been really bad.. Since the ear infection is so deep it must be really painful!!! my poor baby!!! It's so way deep in the ear canal I couldn't see anything.. They gave him a really good ear flush and some medicine and he has NOT had a tremor since!!!!! That was soooo scary!!! I knew something had to be wrong since he has never had a tremor before and it was happening ever hour or so on Sunday.. At least i am praying thats what it was!!!

Thank you again for all of the support!!!!
    Sandy and Joey

Bulldog(s) Names
    Joseph Harley (Joey)
    Likes (Received)

Is there a place on here to upload the video I took of him??? Maybe it could someone else to see joeys head tremor..

Real Name
    Kim W
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rosie aka Rosebud, Rosie Posie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeysMom View Post
    Thanks everyone!! I was soooo freaked out!! I was watching YouTube videos and I was sure that it was the head tremors. I was sitting with him all day and I thought of the low blood sugar so I gave him a lil Caro syrup and a spoonful of peanutbutter.. I took Joe to the vet yesterday and it wasn't his blood sugar.... It was a really bad inner ear infection!!! On one site that I read it said that something could be triggering the tremor.. And he could be in some sort of pain and that's the way his brain was dealing with it because the pain mist have been really bad.. Since the ear infection is so deep it must be really painful!!! my poor baby!!! It's so way deep in the ear canal I couldn't see anything.. They gave him a really good ear flush and some medicine and he has NOT had a tremor since!!!!! That was soooo scary!!! I knew something had to be wrong since he has never had a tremor before and it was happening ever hour or so on Sunday.. At least i am praying thats what it was!!!

Thank you again for all of the support!!!!
    Sandy and Joey
    Poor Joey! I'm glad you figured out what was triggering them. I can't blame him, I've had ear infections that make me want to shake my head uncontrollably too! Hope he gets to feeling better!!!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." President Abraham Lincoln

Kim<3

Bulldog(s) Names
    Joseph Harley (Joey)
    Likes (Received)

Well the vet said it was definitely a tick or head tremor. I showed him the video.. It was hopefully the inner ear infection that was causing them though. I will try to upload the video.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

ok keep us posted.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocky, Rocks,Papa, Charlie lol i dont know y
    Likes (Received)

Hello my name is Jenna,

My bulldog rocky just had his first head tremor yesterday...we rushed him to the ER and well they told us it was idiopathic head tremors...referred us to a neurologist...pretty scary especially because never seen or knew any dog that had this condition.....

If anyone has any suggestions/advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Rocky is only 10 Months old and 60lbs..... :-(

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Nikki
    Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
    Likes (Received)

They are scary...especially because we dont like seeing anything wrong with our bullies. Winston also gets head tremors. I have read so many conflicting reports on them. It does seem to be linked to blood sugar levels. I give Win a bit of vanilla ice cream or squirt a little honey in his mouth and it usually stops right away. Hope this helps you....
    "I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." <3

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jzepeda87 View Post
    Hello my name is Jenna,

My bulldog rocky just had his first head tremor yesterday...we rushed him to the ER and well they told us it was idiopathic head tremors...referred us to a neurologist...pretty scary especially because never seen or knew any dog that had this condition.....

If anyone has any suggestions/advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Rocky is only 10 Months old and 60lbs..... :-(
    I agree, this can be very scary especially when you don't know what it is. I did tons of research on bulldogs before and after I got Samson but I never read anything about these. Last Sept 2009 (Samson would have been 3.5 yrs old) my boyfriend was gone hunting so it was just Samson and I in our bed. At like 5am in the morning I started feeling the bed shake and at first I thought it was an earthquake, then I saw Sams head bobbing. He sat up and he was still doing it, I have to tell you I can't remember the last time I was so scared. I started freaking out, I was started crying hysterically because I had no idea what was happening. I figured it was very serious. So I called my vet, I was ready to get in the car and leave that minute. My vet is a 24 hour facility so I was able to talk to a doctor right then. He asked me a bunch of questions and told me it was probably these head tremors. He was always alert, could walk, acted pretty normal besides the head bob. I made an appointment for a check up, he had a full exam. Physical, parasite testing, blood work, everything. He was perfectly healthy. My vet told me only to worry if anything changes about the episodes like he collapses, if his whole body starts shaking. He has had a couple since, maybe once every few months and it's always been the same. I haven't noticed it being a blood sugar thing myself, I have noticed that if I give Samson something to focus on it will stop, whether its playing or eating, just something to focus his attention elsewhere. Then if its in bed where getting up to feed him or play with him isn't convenient I just let it run its course. It is a truly terrifying experience if it happens and you aren't expecting it, have never seen it or heard of it before. For Samson it has always been just his head, no other part of his body has ever moved/switched, he is always alert, can walk, give kisses, give the paw, eat.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    @JoeysMom

Check out this thread ... it includes my video of Maggie having a head tremor.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...imulation.html

There are some bully owners on here who will tell you that it is blood sugar related, and that is the case in their situation. However, it is NOT the case in Maggies, or in @KMARINO and Vegas.

It happens to Maggie when she is over-stimulated by the thought of getting a treat. This can be shortly after she has just gulped down a bowl of food, veggies and natural yogurt. Giving her food does not stop the head tremors, but distracting her does.

So, don't immediately assume it's blood sugar level but keep an open mind that it could be something else that triggers it.

Bulldogs ARE prone to having them, but it doesn't seem to affect them in any way. They are not suffering, and it's quite common for them to play and act normally despite these strange head movements. I think it's more painful for us to watch, and for the most part they are completely oblivious to what is happening.

I hope that helps!!!
    @Jzepeda87 This is what I wrote in a previous post .... check out my link that shows Maggie having a head tremor on youtube. Is this what your bully did?? If so there is nothing a neurologist can do about it ... nobody really knows for sure what causes head tremors. Let me know if this is what you experienced.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocky, Rocks,Papa, Charlie lol i dont know y
    Likes (Received)

Yes that is exactly what happened to my bulldog...it's happened 7 times in two days...worried bout him but all your information plus the info from the vet is very helpful...thank u

Jenna Zepeda

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jzepeda87 View Post
    Yes that is exactly what happened to my bulldog...it's happened 7 times in two days...worried bout him but all your information plus the info from the vet is very helpful...thank u

Jenna Zepeda
    I feel for you.. Duke has never had these but I have read alot about them in bulldogs.. this site is amazing for you to ask questions and get the support you need from others who have gone through this.. Welcome , he is such a cutie...

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

Chunk has also had head tremors ... His are triggered by medicine. His previous owner made me aware of this but I didn't experience it until after his eye surgery. We were giving him benadryl to help with the healing and within 24 hours of his first dose he developed the tremors. We then learned that the other time he had them was when he was on treatment for worms (not sure which kind - he was about 6 months old). So we keep away from these meds as much as possible. Chunk's previous vet also suggested the vanilla ice cream to help relieve them. I do also remember reading on here about giving them granola of sorts to help.

I hope you figure out what it is. I would take a look at everything he eats. So much with these babies relates back to their food.
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads