Is your bulldog getting really fat during this time ?

yankydoodle

Nov 28, 2016
Country
South Africa
Bulldog(s) Names
princess, kleintjie
Long story short, my bulldogs have put on a lot of weight, and last week or so i could finally walk them, with permission, as we live in a complex with different houses, and i cannot take them on long walks, as people are supposed to stay at home, or will get fined or thrown in jail. What i do, is to get them to walk really brisk, and their tongues are hanging out by the end of it.

I would like to know what is the maximum weight they can weight before it becomes a real problem, as bulldogs tend to have breathing problems. I don't what my dogs weigh, but they have never been this big before. But i am working hard to get them to lose more weight. I have also given them less food.

Thanks for any advice.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
All are different... 60lbs might be ok for one but not another and same goes for 40lbs.

You want to go by how the waist looks.. nice V shape when looking over top of them is good indication.

We play a lot of ball chase/fetch in the house or a few rounds of run around furniture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
If they are simply not active enough to burn off those extra calories then dial back the amount of food you give. Since they have already gained too much weight, in your opinion, cut the food in half and add as many green beans as will fill them up. Frozen kind is preferred over canned.
The weight will come off quickly.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
36D0763E-C1C1-409A-AF75-A4E3213E71DD.jpeg

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
If they are simply not active enough to burn off those extra calories then dial back the amount of food you give. Since they have already gained too much weight, in your opinion, cut the food in half and add as many green beans as will fill them up. Frozen kind is preferred over canned.
The weight will come off quickly.

Good advice. Stella had packed on some pounds so i cut each 1 cup meal by 1/4 and sub'd in frozen minced green beans.. weight came off in a snap! They still get the green beans because they love them and its good for them :)

OP
yankydoodle

yankydoodle

Nov 28, 2016
Country
South Africa
Bulldog(s) Names
princess, kleintjie
Thank you all. Much appreciate it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online