Help Needed! Kidney Stones - Stent

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Kibble diet is temporary to dissolve existing urate stones in his kidneys. Once they're gone, he's going back to raw but w/a few tweaks. He was hospitalized because one stone got stuck in a ureter. Week later, hospitalized again, passed a stone in the other kidney.

I'll be doing something like this:

https://bigcountryraw.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Urate-Stones.pdf

My family vet agrees the food is crap. She's the one who recommended raw 6 years ago. The internal medicine doctor from the hospital is looking after us for the time being. Family vet will take over soon. But... the plan will continue until the stones are gone. Hospital wants us to stay on the diet for 4 months. I won't wait that long. We'll get an ultrasound in another month and if its all good, switch back...

Ok I see with more details... thanks for the link. Very interesting:)

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
Update. Threw up a couple of times last week. Creatinine rose slightly so we went in for a progress ultra sound. Existing stones in the kidneys, no change, same size, haven't budged. So much for trying to dissolve them.

Also learned the same kidney they operated on is in bad shape. They're estimating its two thirds deteriorated. Big difference compared to the last ultrasound 2 months ago.

Dropping off a urine sample tomorrow for a UPC test. Then I'll get a life expectancy prediction. Diet will change - no more vet kibble.

Other kidney looked ok (or unchanged, forget her exact words) & vet told me she's seen dogs do well w/one kidney. So we will see.

Sucks... his createnine & other values were close to pre surgery values. Aside from this hiccup, everything is normal - behaviour, appetite, etc...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Update. Threw up a couple of times last week. Creatinine rose slightly so we went in for a progress ultra sound. Existing stones in the kidneys, no change, same size, haven't budged. So much for trying to dissolve them.

Also learned the same kidney they operated on is in bad shape. They're estimating its two thirds deteriorated. Big difference compared to the last ultrasound 2 months ago.

Dropping off a urine sample tomorrow for a UPC test. Then I'll get a life expectancy prediction. Diet will change - no more vet kibble.

Other kidney looked ok (or unchanged, forget her exact words) & vet told me she's seen dogs do well w/one kidney. So we will see.

Sucks... his createnine & other values were close to pre surgery values. Aside from this hiccup, everything is normal - behaviour, appetite, etc...

Damn... sending lots of healing prayers and positive thoughts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
Stage 3 based on UPC results. Havenā€™t talked to my vet yet. Meantime, I googled the life expectancy - 100 - 200 days. Asking if the condition of the other kidney matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Stage 3 based on UPC results. Havenā€™t talked to my vet yet. Meantime, I googled the life expectancy - 100 - 200 days. Asking if the condition of the other kidney matters.

[emoji29][emoji29][emoji29][emoji29]..... there is no treatment or cure?

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
Vet asked me to list current supplements. Sheā€™s changing the diet - goal is to slow down the damage/kidney. Reasonably sure weā€™re going back to raw.

No, no cure to kidney disease. Itā€™s a progressive disease.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Vet asked me to list current supplements. Sheā€™s changing the diet - goal is to slow down the damage/kidney. Reasonably sure weā€™re going back to raw.

No, no cure to kidney disease. Itā€™s a progressive disease.

Sending lots of healing prayers..... raw will be best, it is finding the right blend.

Members online

No members online now.