Thread: POST TAIL AMPUTATION INCISION CLEANING

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Benny
    Likes (Received)

Default POST TAIL AMPUTATION INCISION CLEANING

Hi, I am new to this forum, never posted before but have read a few threads before. So my English bulldog, Benny who is 2 years old finally had his tail amputation surgery 3 days ago after battling infections constantly and so I was wondering if any other owners had any information on cleaning the incision( dry blood, etc) and what to look for when seeing if there is infection or not? Any other tips would also be appreciated thanks.

2. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: POST TAIL AMPUTATION INCISION CLEANING

Tail removal surgery leaves a nasty looking wound. I'm know it's hard not to...but leave it alone. Consider cleaning he area 2 weeks post op...as long as your Vet gives the OK.
    The site will tend to weep clear to pink fluid...this is normal. There should be no smell. Look for any increase in redness or swelling, oozing puss, foul odor, etc. If you notice something, call the Vet right away.
    Try to discourage your dog from rubbing his butt up against anything, crate, wall, rug, furniture...even your leg. Have him take prescribed meds without missing a single dose.
    From a looks standpoint, the tail removal surgical site is one of the worst.. The shaved butt area and the dried blood make it look much worse than it is. Do not be alarmed, it will eventually look normal again...3 months or so. Gauge progress week to week...not day by day.

Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

4. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bennyspapa View Post
    Hi, I am new to this forum, never posted before but have read a few threads before. So my English bulldog, Benny who is 2 years old finally had his tail amputation surgery 3 days ago after battling infections constantly and so I was wondering if any other owners had any information on cleaning the incision( dry blood, etc) and what to look for when seeing if there is infection or not? Any other tips would also be appreciated thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    Tail removal surgery leaves a nasty looking wound. I'm know it's hard not to...but leave it alone. Consider cleaning he area 2 weeks post op...as long as your Vet gives the OK.
    The site will tend to weep clear to pink fluid...this is normal. There should be no smell. Look for any increase in redness or swelling, oozing puss, foul odor, etc. If you notice something, call the Vet right away.
    Try to discourage your dog from rubbing his butt up against anything, crate, wall, rug, furniture...even your leg. Have him take prescribed meds without missing a single dose.
    From a looks standpoint, the tail removal surgical site is one of the worst.. The shaved butt area and the dried blood make it look much worse than it is. Do not be alarmed, it will eventually look normal again...3 months or so. Gauge progress week to week...not day by day.
    Agree with Chip.... leave it be till the follow up. As Chip states... keep watch for changes or odor, and call vet if there are any signs of these.
    Lambeau had his removed and it looked worse before it got better... then it seemed like POW, it was clear and he was never phased by the whole process.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Benny
    Likes (Received)

Thank you guys so much!! I have been worrying about and not knowing how to start the cleaning. The vet recommended to just put a warm cloth over it but that was if it was bleeding. He’s been doing great and his twirling has stopped.

7. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post

Remove Ads