Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Shaking, panting, depression

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    8
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Woody and Danni
    Likes (Received)
    9

    Default Shaking, panting, depression

    I have a 7 year old male bulldog, Woody. Over the course of the last year, he's shown some odd behavior. It used to be once every few months. And since the beginning of this year, it's at least once (if not more) a week. He'll start walking really slow, breathing a bit strongly through his nose, and sometimes will just stand in place awkwardly for about a minute before walking slowly walking someplace else and eventually sitting down. Recently, he's started to tremble, almost like he's cold or is having some sort of panic attack. Once he "calms down", he will pant for a long period of time. Sometimes he won't pant for more than 15 minutes before getting comfortable and falling asleep, other times he'll pant for hours.

    I've taken him to the vet where they put him on some anti inflammatory meds for 2 weeks, and that didn't seem to do a whole lot since he was still showing this same behavior for a few of the days. He hasn't eaten kibble in a really long time (his hair was falling out, so many cysts and ear infections no matter what food he was on), so he eats a real food diet of ground beef, carrots, bone broth, sometimes chicken, pumpkin, etc. He's been on this type of diet for almost 2 years so i'm not sure if thats the problem? The vet checked him out the first day he was shaking, and of course Woody didn't show any of that behavior. He was walking fine, wasn't panting, allowed them to examine him without a fuss. He has days where he is completely normal, will play with toys, will want to go on a walk, has tons of energy.

    Recently, he's seemed a little bit depressed, and today he hasn't been interested in eating. He's not doing anything excessive (like eating, or drinking, or needing to go outside) so I'm just very confused as to what this could be. My fiance (Woody's human, besides me) passed 2 years ago, and i'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, as well.

    Anyone know what this could be?

  2. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
  3. #2
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    45,683
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    16818

    Default Re: Shaking, panting, depression

    Quote Originally Posted by Epope721 View Post
    I have a 7 year old male bulldog, Woody. Over the course of the last year, he's shown some odd behavior. It used to be once every few months. And since the beginning of this year, it's at least once (if not more) a week. He'll start walking really slow, breathing a bit strongly through his nose, and sometimes will just stand in place awkwardly for about a minute before walking slowly walking someplace else and eventually sitting down. Recently, he's started to tremble, almost like he's cold or is having some sort of panic attack. Once he "calms down", he will pant for a long period of time. Sometimes he won't pant for more than 15 minutes before getting comfortable and falling asleep, other times he'll pant for hours.

    I've taken him to the vet where they put him on some anti inflammatory meds for 2 weeks, and that didn't seem to do a whole lot since he was still showing this same behavior for a few of the days. He hasn't eaten kibble in a really long time (his hair was falling out, so many cysts and ear infections no matter what food he was on), so he eats a real food diet of ground beef, carrots, bone broth, sometimes chicken, pumpkin, etc. He's been on this type of diet for almost 2 years so i'm not sure if thats the problem? The vet checked him out the first day he was shaking, and of course Woody didn't show any of that behavior. He was walking fine, wasn't panting, allowed them to examine him without a fuss. He has days where he is completely normal, will play with toys, will want to go on a walk, has tons of energy.

    Recently, he's seemed a little bit depressed, and today he hasn't been interested in eating. He's not doing anything excessive (like eating, or drinking, or needing to go outside) so I'm just very confused as to what this could be. My fiance (Woody's human, besides me) passed 2 years ago, and i'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, as well.

    Anyone know what this could be?
    Welcome to EBN. I would think there is some type of pain but if he has a vet check did they do xrays or blood work


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  4. Likes helsonwheels, ddnene liked this post
  5. #3
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,942
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    2056

    Default Re: Shaking, panting, depression

    Agree, sounds like pain. If vet ruled out anything serious you can try @2BullyMama recipe of turmeric paste, movoflex and laser therapy sessions.

    I give my dog Actiflex 4000 supplement, organic turmeric powder, salmon oil from a capsule ( and Vit E once a week because of the salmon oil ), and either organic flax seed oil or organic hempseed oil, all mixed in with her commercial raw food diet.

    I'd recommend buying a commercial frozen ground raw product to avoid any chance he isn't getting a complete diet, although it probably isn't related.

  6. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  7. #4
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2,329
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buster 2013 - Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020
    Likes (Received)
    3021

    Default Re: Shaking, panting, depression

    Does he ever seem like he might pass out? Have they checked his heart thoroughly? A long shot probably and hopefully not so but Chumly had similar symptoms and we found out he had Congested Heart Failure. It was out of the blue and absolutely stunned us as he had a splenectomy a few months before and there was no mention of heart problems at that time.

    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

  8. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
  9. #5
    Newbie
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    8
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Woody and Danni
    Likes (Received)
    9

    Default Re: Shaking, panting, depression

    Thank you for your responses. I was thinking of calling the vet Monday and seeing if I could purchase some of the bland diet canned food, just in case he was experiencing severe gas or something. The vet did check him out, listened to his lungs and monitored his heart, checked to see if he was constipated, felt around for pain which he didn't yelp or anything (and still won't yelp when I feel around, but it could be something he feels only in certain positions). The vet didn't say anything seemed to be immediate cause for concern, however the helplessness I feel to help my boy sometimes gets to me. I don't want him to be in pain, and just do anything in my power to make him comfortable (he sleeps in my bed, I pick him up to go upstairs, and take him downstairs as well, was thinking of putting him in a baby bath with epsom salt to help his joints). Today, he finally decided he wanted to eat a little bit, but ate laying down in the bed. He didn't eat as much as usual, and then went back to bed. He's been sleeping great, and even this morning he got excited when I asked him if he wanted to go on a walk (which we did, and he made it half a block which is normal for him), and played with his sister, so I'm just kind of hoping tomorrow he's in a better mood.

    Also, no, he never seems like he's going to pass out. If anything, he seems maybe a bit scared or alert about something when he gets in these moods. If the doorbell rings, or he sees another dog, or the laser pointer comes on, he's still the same Woody and will chase after it as much as he can, but no, he never seems like he'll pass out.

  10. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama, 1Chumly liked this post
  11. #6
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    10,579
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    12878

    Default Re: Shaking, panting, depression

    @Epope721 whatever you do, don’t give you dog any prescription food from vets. They’re full of grains n bad fats with colour. Nothing is wrong with his diet but I would add raw organs to his meals. Organs is full of probiotics. Chop them up n freeze then per portion as a topper on one of his meal per day. Maybe your dog does have some sort of pain like mentioned above and @1Chumly gave you great advice. Check all 4 paws, ears, teeth. To get rid of ear issues take 2 cotton balls, get a quality lavender essential oil like DoTerra online, put a couple drops on the cotton ball n swipe ABOVE the canal. Oil will seep on it’s own. Repeat other ear. This will keep all yeasty ears or brown guk at bay. Skin issues is due most to food. Keep your raw diet and add the topper or mix it in the meal. Your dog will like that.

  12. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  13. #7
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    45,683
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    16818

    Default Re: Shaking, panting, depression

    Quote Originally Posted by Epope721 View Post
    Thank you for your responses. I was thinking of calling the vet Monday and seeing if I could purchase some of the bland diet canned food, just in case he was experiencing severe gas or something. The vet did check him out, listened to his lungs and monitored his heart, checked to see if he was constipated, felt around for pain which he didn't yelp or anything (and still won't yelp when I feel around, but it could be something he feels only in certain positions). The vet didn't say anything seemed to be immediate cause for concern, however the helplessness I feel to help my boy sometimes gets to me. I don't want him to be in pain, and just do anything in my power to make him comfortable (he sleeps in my bed, I pick him up to go upstairs, and take him downstairs as well, was thinking of putting him in a baby bath with epsom salt to help his joints). Today, he finally decided he wanted to eat a little bit, but ate laying down in the bed. He didn't eat as much as usual, and then went back to bed. He's been sleeping great, and even this morning he got excited when I asked him if he wanted to go on a walk (which we did, and he made it half a block which is normal for him), and played with his sister, so I'm just kind of hoping tomorrow he's in a better mood.

    Also, no, he never seems like he's going to pass out. If anything, he seems maybe a bit scared or alert about something when he gets in these moods. If the doorbell rings, or he sees another dog, or the laser pointer comes on, he's still the same Woody and will chase after it as much as he can, but no, he never seems like he'll pass out.

    I agree with the others... raw diet, not prescription foods
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  14. #8
    Newbie
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    8
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Woody and Danni
    Likes (Received)
    9

    Default Re: Shaking, panting, depression

    No prescription foods...got it! Thank you all so much!

    I'm going to keep my eye on him (as usual). He ate this morning, and now has returned to his bed to sleep. Maybe putting him in the baby tub with epsom salt this afternoon will help with any joint pain he may be having.

  15. Likes 2BullyMama, helsonwheels liked this post
  16. #9
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,569
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog) and Ella Mae
    Likes (Received)
    6187

    Default Re: Shaking, panting, depression

    Definitely sounds like pain. Unfortunately sometimes you won’t know if there’s an issue without an X-ray or MRI. I would definitely keep my eye on him. You can try giving some cbd oil in the meantime.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. Likes 2BullyMama, helsonwheels liked this post
  18. #10
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    45,683
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    16818

    Default Re: Shaking, panting, depression

    Quote Originally Posted by Epope721 View Post
    No prescription foods...got it! Thank you all so much!

    I'm going to keep my eye on him (as usual). He ate this morning, and now has returned to his bed to sleep. Maybe putting him in the baby tub with epsom salt this afternoon will help with any joint pain he may be having.

    I would still ask for some xrays to ensue it is just joint pain... as was mentioned by Dolly Ownwers, I user Movoflex, a turmeric paste and laser therapy to help my Frenchie with all his isssues
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  19. #11
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    oscarmayer's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,363
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    7122

    Default Re: Shaking, panting, depression

    This is not grieving, IMO. A Complete Blood and Urine workup is advised. Also agree that the current diet could be contributing to these issues. Commercial Raw is a good start. I like the idea of CBD because you never know what symptom it might help...I’ve never read where it hurt anything.

    Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

  20. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •