BulliesForever

Mar 18, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna, Remy, Kate, Annie
Hi fellow bulldog lovers! I'm new here, but not new to bulldogs. I've been reading here occasionally and wondered if anyone has any advice/experiences they'd be willing to share. I have a 7, almost 8 week old English Bulldog puppy with a grade 5 heart murmur and a fairly large umbilical hernia. Two weeks ago the heart murmur was a grade 2 and my vet said she'd suggest getting the hernia repaired even though the heart murmur makes him higher risk when going under anesthesia. Took Finn(the puppy) in this morning and they discovered the heart murmur, instead of improving, was now a grade 5. I won't be able to speak with her until later tonight, so I'm just wondering about other people's experience with heart murmurs and anesthesia. I've been breeding 10 years and have only had one other experience with heart murmur, and that was just a minor one.

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
My baby Apollo came to us like this with the heart murmur but no hernia. We were told grade 2 by the breeder but around 1-2 weeks after we got him we were told by Dr's it was a actually a grade 5-6 and inoperable. We were devastated. He ended up having cherry eyes on both eyes and we ended up getting those fixed and having him neutered at the same time at the dr's recommendation. Yes, it's risky putting them under anesthesia for sure for all bulldogs and perhaps even more so with the heart murmur. But my little nugget did great. He came out of surgery really well and recovered at home in no time. He will be 5 in July. We were told her wouldn't live past a year. I think yours will do OK. But try not to have him under anesthesia more than once. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
B

BulliesForever

Mar 18, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna, Remy, Kate, Annie
That's awesome! He such a sweet boy, really did not expect the murmur to worsen because he seemed to be doing great, other than the hernia. He's a bit smaller than his brothers, but just as active. I'm hoping for a good outcome, since he's been doing so well otherwise.

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
Definitely get the vets opinion and find out all you can about the murmur (if it's operable, etc.)and what the hernia surgery entails. Obviously, every doggy is not the same. I shared my experience BC I know how it feels to be told such scary and sad news concerning our babies. But a good vet should be able to tell you more about the surgery and outcome. I'm sure your baby is so sweet, cute and playful. My boy had lots of energy since he was a baby and he still loves to play. We do monitor his activities and don't get him too riled up due to the murmur. Playing with balls makes him go nuts!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.