Apr 28, 2019
Ca
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Max my bulldog has transitioned to raw, after months of acana duck and pear. Currently he is on 2 patties a day. Well, took him to the vet last Friday to get dhpp, rabies and bortdatella. This was Friday, Saturday I also gave him flea medicine, frontline. He weighed 43 lbs but only had the 45 lb dose I didnā€™t give him the whole thing. Sat I gave him no more than 1/4 spoon of peanut butter. Sunday either all the side effects of the shots plus fleas kicked in at least I thought. I woke up to our morning walk and he seemed very lethargic. He wouldnā€™t come out of his crate like normal. I took him to the vet (dr Butchko) and 615 dollars later he prescribed some stuff. Turns out he has a right ear infection, his x ray also showed cloudy lungs consistent with respiratory illness. Blood work came back fine minus the elevated white blood count due to those two factors. Slight urine oh elevation/ seems dehydrated. I need help I want my max back!!! He is not feeling well. Please help

OP
Maxthebulldog1210
Apr 28, 2019
Ca
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
The peanut butter given to him did NOT contain Xylitol. It was skippy (blue top)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Max my bulldog has transitioned to raw, after months of acana duck and pear. Currently he is on 2 patties a day. Well, took him to the vet last Friday to get dhpp, rabies and bortdatella. This was Friday, Saturday I also gave him flea medicine, frontline. He weighed 43 lbs but only had the 45 lb dose I didnā€™t give him the whole thing. Sat I gave him no more than 1/4 spoon of peanut butter. Sunday either all the side effects of the shots plus fleas kicked in at least I thought. I woke up to our morning walk and he seemed very lethargic. He wouldnā€™t come out of his crate like normal. I took him to the vet (dr Butchko) and 615 dollars later he prescribed some stuff. Turns out he has a right ear infection, his x ray also showed cloudy lungs consistent with respiratory illness. Blood work came back fine minus the elevated white blood count due to those two factors. Slight urine oh elevation/ seems dehydrated. I need help I want my max back!!! He is not feeling well. Please help

Was this the first time he got Frontline? We used Frontlione once and Castor had a bad experience. He got all itchy and the fur looked weird where the stuff was administered, and when I now look back at the forum (Frontline has been discussed here several times), I see that this was also when Castor got his first ear infection.

See here for info on side effects of Frontline: under the heading Hazards To Domestic Animals halfway down the page, it says Frontline can interact with other medicines. Did you tell your vet that Max had got both the shots and Frontline? If not, I would call the vet again to check that there is no known side effect due to the combination of Frontline and the shots.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Did the vet say anything about a potential reaction to the flea meds or vaccines? I know both can cause bad reactions but I have no personal experience. Also make sure your vet is knowledgeable with bulldogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Maxthebulldog1210
Apr 28, 2019
Ca
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Was this the first time he got Frontline? We used Frontlione once and Castor had a bad experience. He got all itchy and the fur looked weird where the stuff was administered, and when I now look back at the forum (Frontline has been discussed here several times), I see that this was also when Castor got his first ear infection.

See here for info on side effects of Frontline: under the heading Hazards To Domestic Animals halfway down the page, it says Frontline can interact with other medicines. Did you tell your vet that Max had got both the shots and Frontline? If not, I would call the vet again to check that there is no known side effect due to the combination of Frontline and the shots.

I told them he did use frontline after the shots. They said it could be a possibility but between that and bravecto we have alternated since he was a pup. I am done with frontline because I did read the articles posted on the forum.

- - - Updated - - -

Did the vet say anything about a potential reaction to the flea meds or vaccines? I know both can cause bad reactions but I have no personal experience. Also make sure your vet is knowledgeable with bulldogs.

Dr Butchko is a well knowledgeable vet with knowledge of bullies. Lots of them go in and come out everyday

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

This has nothing to do with food itā€™s all the meds in one shot... ā€œ Friday to get dhpp, rabies and bortdatella. This was Friday, Saturday I also gave him flea medicine, frontline.ā€ Way too much in one shot... I personally donā€™t give any shots to any of my dogs but thatā€™s ME. If youā€™re going to give shots to your dogs, split them up like one at a time. Wait a couple months do the next etc. Donā€™t want to alarm you but keep an eye on your dog for next month. This vet should know better. Also still have lots of vets out there giving full doses to example 100lb dog to a 50lb or under. Stop the flea meds as itā€™s all pesticides. Itā€™s a known fact. Sorry donā€™t want to scare you but just keep an eye on your dog...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I told them he did use frontline after the shots. They said it could be a possibility but between that and bravecto we have alternated since he was a pup. I am done with frontline because I did read the articles posted on the forum.

- - - Updated - - -

Dr Butchko is a well knowledgeable vet with knowledge of bullies. Lots of them go in and come out everyday

Dr. Butchko has a great reputation... keep us posted and sending lots of positive thoughts for your boy

RalphTheBulldog

Aug 30, 2019
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Ralph
I gave Ralph Frontline, within 20 mins i thought he was dying! he couldn't stand up, shaking, being sick! i would never recommend Frontline.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I don't want to alarm you, but Frontline has been getting a lot of negative reviews... many dogs have reactions, and unfortunately there are "fake" Frontline formulas that are on the market. I would keep a close eye on your pup, and consult w/your vet about using another product. I use Sentinel on my pups, and we've never had an issue.

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
I'm sorry your baby is experiencing this. I pray it gets better quickly!

While i can't really offer advice i do know that when it's shot time i do stagger them so they are only getting one at a time with a month in between.
When it comes to flea and tic or heart worm, i also do those a couple weeks apart... just so i can monitor and make sure they aren't getting too many things at once.

Please keep us updated on the progress! love and prayers to you and sweet Max

OP
Maxthebulldog1210
Apr 28, 2019
Ca
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
I'm sorry your baby is experiencing this. I pray it gets better quickly!

While i can't really offer advice i do know that when it's shot time i do stagger them so they are only getting one at a time with a month in between.
When it comes to flea and tic or heart worm, i also do those a couple weeks apart... just so i can monitor and make sure they aren't getting too many things at once.

Please keep us updated on the progress! love and prayers to you and sweet Max

Thanks

A 20 yr vet, canine handler told me what he coughs/spits up is kennel cough. I think he is right.
He looks much better today though then when I showed him pics yesterday. I just think I could do without the bortdatella vax

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Thanks

A 20 yr vet, canine handler told me what he coughs/spits up is kennel cough. I think he is right.
He looks much better today though then when I showed him pics yesterday. I just think I could do without the bortdatella vax

There's really no reason to do a bordetalla vaccine unless they are going to daycare or boarding because they usually require it. I stopped giving it as soon as my guys stopped going to daycare.

OP
Maxthebulldog1210
Apr 28, 2019
Ca
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
There's really no reason to do a bordetalla vaccine unless they are going to daycare or boarding because they usually require it. I stopped giving it as soon as my guys stopped going to daycare.

It is my first bully. I have one year of experience but when I got the dog he already had his vaccines so I am still learning a lot. This site really helps out.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.