Other Possible Nerve Damage

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi all, sorry for the delay in replying. We had a death in the family this week as well. Itā€™s been quite a year for us unfortunately.

So our family vet called me Tuesday morning to check on rosco, he said he would make some calls and see if he could get him in to a neurologist sooner. He had luck and we got in on Tuesday.

Made the drive to the neurologist, which was fantastic. She was super nice, we didnā€™t have to wait long, it felt like they never left me in the room alone longer than 5min tops.

She said he has 1 of 2 things....

1. Herniated Disc: which if he does itā€™s minor because his xrays arenā€™t showing anything abnormal. She said with rest he should recover 100%.

2. Fibrocartilaginous Embolism (FCE)- a spinal cord stroke which in his case wouldā€™ve been from the impact of landing bursting a blood vessel to his spinal cord. She said with this he could recover 100% or he could show improvement then just stop at some point and that would be where he stays.

She suggested waiting to do an MRI, because by the time we got to the vet he was doing about the same as before maybe a little better. Heā€™s showing much more improvement than sheā€™s seen from either diagnosis in other animals theyā€™ve treated there.

She put him on 4 weeks of strict bed rest confined to his kennel or a small area. He is only allowed to go out on a leash to the bathroom and he can sit with us on the floor while on a leash for short periods of time.

She said she did some testing on him when she took him to the back and he has blood flow in the leg and foot, but definitely no feeling at the time. She said she thinks he will regain some movement if not all.

He was on prednisone and Gabapentin. She said he didnā€™t need the gabapentin because he didnā€™t have any pain at all and then she had me ween him off of the prednisone because she said thatā€™s not a good medication to use unless absolutely necessary and they had him on a very high dose.

Then she gave me Trazodone, to help sedate him since heā€™s such an active dog.

Now fast forward, I didnā€™t give him the new meds Wednesday because I wanted to be home with him in case he had an allergic reaction to it or something so I waited until Thursday. Everyday he has seemed to get a little better, gave him the anxiety meds on Thursday night and ordered delivery for dinner. I felt like he wasnā€™t calming down with it, but thought maybe it was just me being paranoid about it. Then the delivery guy came and he went crazy barking like he was going to attack, he didnā€™t do anything but sounded like it. He never acts like that.

Friday: I came home early from work and decided to try the meds again. This time, we sat outside to enjoy the sunshine. I left him out of the kennel because I was with him on the ground. Well after about an hour of the meds he became extremely hyper and wouldnā€™t listen. He was running/hopping all over the yard, so I had to take him inside and try to get him to settle down where there he continued to do the same, tried to get out of the house, etc. so I just put him back in the kennel.

I havenā€™t given anymore of those meds because Iā€™m certain he does not get the sedative side effect or less anxiety from the meds.

He hasnā€™t improved anymore since Friday but he is definitely using his leg more. I would say he is at 85-90% usage now.

He goes back to the neurologist on Tuesday for another check up. She said if he isnā€™t 100% by 2 weeks she will probably suggest doing an MRI. Iā€™m not sure she will though since he has regained so much use of his leg.

Thank you again for all the support, prayers, and advice. I will update again after his next appointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy wow.. what a great detailed update. So sorry for the loss of your family member.

As for the meds, adverse reaction so good idea to stop. Great to hear he is almost 90% better... keep up the rest and maybe try benedryl to make him sleepy. As long as your not giving the other meds too.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Just an FYI based on experience, an X-ray will not necessarily show a herniated disc. An MRI is the only way to know for sure. Also, itā€™s great he is feeling better, however, I would still stick the strict crate rest.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.