Other Possible Nerve Damage

BethD

Oct 18, 2016
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosco
Well Iā€™m writing just to vent really but if anyone has experience or advice I will gladly accept.

Yesterday Rosco was sitting at the table outside under the umbrella enjoying the nice day. It was windier than normal and a gust came through and ripped the umbrella out of itā€™s place. He went to jump out of the way and his back paw/leg got caught in the chair. He eventually got out of the chair and jumped into the grass. We werenā€™t sitting right by him so none of us are 100% sure exactly what happened after that since it happened so quickly.

He started growling and then whining uncontrollably until we got to him. Initially I thought he was hit by the umbrella and broke his leg or hip. His left back leg was just hanging there like it was out of socket or severely fractured. Later after talking to my husband and son who were outside at the time I donā€™t think he was actually struck by the umbrella itself.

I ran out to open the car door and get in the truck while my husband carried him to the vehicle for me. Rushed to the ER and began the wait. They gave him pain meds(which was scary because a side effect was excessive painting-figure that canā€™t be good for an animals heart), took xrays, etc.

His Xrays came back with absolutely nothing fractured at all. Which is good but maybe bad. At that point he canā€™t walk on either of his back legs. She said she believes it is his sciatic nerve is pinched or severed. She also told me that it could be Fibrocartilaginous Embolism (FCE). She really doesnā€™t think itā€™s FCE since heā€™s a bulldog, yet he was jumping and caught his leg at the time. I feel like we canā€™t rule it out, Iā€™m no vet though.

We took him home last night where he wouldnā€™t eat, which he has NEVER turned down food. I figured it was from the meds though. He wouldnā€™t urinate at all yesterday or last night which had me freaked out but after calling the vet again they said it was not a concern yet. He finally went around 230am last night and again this morning.

Now Iā€™ve been waiting all day for a call from the neurologist. I have called my vet who is out today, the Er is closed until 6pm tonight, and the neurologist office who said they havenā€™t received a referral and the next available when they do is Thursday at 9am. Ugggghhhh!

He is walking on his good leg today which is a huge improvement but itā€™s still pretty bad on the other one. I feel like he has a little sensation in the bad one now but it is dragging on the ground still. His butt/hips are still veering to the right quite a bit as well.

One thing he does have going for him is he is in EXCELLENT health otherwise. Heā€™s never had surgery or any health issues. His labs back in October were phenomenal, the vet said heā€™s never seen an EBD with labs as good as his. Hoping his nerves, tissue, etc. are rockstars as well.

Please send prayers and/or good vibes for rosco.

Sorry for the book!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How scary.... we had a recent situation with our Frenchie, Cheli. He just started dragging his one leg, we took him to our vet, nothing, everything looked great. We did laser therapy for four weeks with rimidylā€“. he is now fine. We see an occasional limp/skip while he walks, but it boiled down to tendinitis . I hope your boy issue turns out to be a pinched nerve or something not serious

please keep us posted

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
How scary.... we had a recent situation with our Frenchie, Cheli. He just started dragging his one leg, we took him to our vet, nothing, everything looked great. We did laser therapy for four weeks with rimidylā€”. he is now fine. We see an occasional limp/skip while he walks, but it boiled down to tendinitis . I hope your boy issue turns out to be a pinched never or something not serious

please keep us posted

Sorry to hear ! Hope both Cheli and Rosco are ok.

OP
BethD

BethD

Oct 18, 2016
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosco
Thank you guys, I hope Cheli makes a full recovery from whatever is going on.

So my vets office, finally got the dr to give the referral even though he wasnā€™t there today. So they referred us to a different neurologist. She said she was going to put Roscoā€™s records on top with a note saying to look at first.

I kind of got the run around from new placeā€™s tech or receptionist. They said they received his medical records but not the ER ones. So after 15 more phone calls I got that straightened out. They had them all along but didnā€™t actually look at them so they didnā€™t see them on the first page.

The neurologist was gone for the day at this point. I scheduled an appointment for Wednesday morning.

They said I could bring him to the ER tonight and maybe if they thought it was serious enough they would try to call neuro in but there still was no guarantees and he would probably just be hospitalized until Wednesday morning.

The trip is an hour and half a way and then to be sent home or pay for hospitalization and he does NOT like being in the kennel at vets or boarding places. I decided to keep him home another night.

I think heā€™s almost back to his normal self mentally. Heā€™s not trying to chase the cat, but he has tried getting on the couch(we caught him in time), tried to wiggle his butt(unsuccessfully), and is his super hungry self again. Heā€™s able to urinate regularly now thankfully, he just pees all over his leg but thatā€™s easy enough to clean up.

The vet offices have me freaked out because they keep telling me the first 48 are most important and after reading his chart they would go tonight....but no guarantee we can call anyone in. The ER doctor also told me she would get me in to someone today which didnā€™t happen, she didnā€™t even send the referral out. She also said keeping him in the hospital last night wouldā€™ve been a waste of money and just for my piece of mind.

So after talking to my husband, we decided to wait until morning. I am going to the ER that is connected to the neurologist tomorrow morning in hopes they can either tell me heā€™s fine or she can make room to see him if itā€™s more serious.

Iā€™m hoping Iā€™m not making the wrong decision, but I see improvement and heā€™s not acting out of it. They keep telling me to prepare for bad news, I know itā€™s to help prepare me for the worst but all I could think was, well then wouldnā€™t I want him to be home with his family and comfortable one more night vs giving him anxiety in a hospital.

Anyway, Iā€™m rambling again. Thank you for the thoughts and prayers. Iā€™ll update tomorrow after we see the new ER vet and our reg vet should be calling by 8am.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Weā€™re learning while you ramble.... lol

Yes do keep us posted.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you guys, I hope Cheli makes a full recovery from whatever is going on.

So my vets office, finally got the dr to give the referral even though he wasnā€™t there today. So they referred us to a different neurologist. She said she was going to put Roscoā€™s records on top with a note saying to look at first.

I kind of got the run around from new placeā€™s tech or receptionist. They said they received his medical records but not the ER ones. So after 15 more phone calls I got that straightened out. They had them all along but didnā€™t actually look at them so they didnā€™t see them on the first page.

The neurologist was gone for the day at this point. I scheduled an appointment for Wednesday morning.

They said I could bring him to the ER tonight and maybe if they thought it was serious enough they would try to call neuro in but there still was no guarantees and he would probably just be hospitalized until Wednesday morning.

The trip is an hour and half a way and then to be sent home or pay for hospitalization and he does NOT like being in the kennel at vets or boarding places. I decided to keep him home another night.

I think heā€™s almost back to his normal self mentally. Heā€™s not trying to chase the cat, but he has tried getting on the couch(we caught him in time), tried to wiggle his butt(unsuccessfully), and is his super hungry self again. Heā€™s able to urinate regularly now thankfully, he just pees all over his leg but thatā€™s easy enough to clean up.

The vet offices have me freaked out because they keep telling me the first 48 are most important and after reading his chart they would go tonight....but no guarantee we can call anyone in. The ER doctor also told me she would get me in to someone today which didnā€™t happen, she didnā€™t even send the referral out. She also said keeping him in the hospital last night wouldā€™ve been a waste of money and just for my piece of mind.

So after talking to my husband, we decided to wait until morning. I am going to the ER that is connected to the neurologist tomorrow morning in hopes they can either tell me heā€™s fine or she can make room to see him if itā€™s more serious.

Iā€™m hoping Iā€™m not making the wrong decision, but I see improvement and heā€™s not acting out of it. They keep telling me to prepare for bad news, I know itā€™s to help prepare me for the worst but all I could think was, well then wouldnā€™t I want him to be home with his family and comfortable one more night vs giving him anxiety in a hospital.

Anyway, Iā€™m rambling again. Thank you for the thoughts and prayers. Iā€™ll update tomorrow after we see the new ER vet and our reg vet should be calling by 8am.

Continued prayers.... and ramble all you need to.
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] - Jax? [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] - any possible insight ?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] - any possible insight ?
Yep, Emergency Vet can drain a bank account in no time at all...and as long as a dog(pet) is not in immediate, life-threatening distress, avoid them like the plague. Beth made the right call. Rosco probably got more love and attention at home than he would have gotten at the E-Vet for a $1000 less.
That said...
Based on what I've read so far it sounds like a soft tissue injury, perhaps coupled with a minor(incomplete) spinal cord injury. It would seem that his recovery is coming along rather quickly. Given the symptoms noted with his injury, the follow-up with a neurologist is a good path to follow.
Please report on "their report".

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh gosh... I'm SO very sorry this has happened to you!!! I agree w/Chip, the emergency vet will drain your account... go w/your gut feeling on this one. I sincerely hope that you get some answers very soon!!!

I want to mention that I've been going thru some sciatic nerve issues... it's been a 2 year ordeal now. The pain radiates from the middle of my butt down my leg... IF that is what's going on, that may explain the lack of him using his leg. It's the weirdest feeling ever...

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
As stated, I would only go to the ER for a true emergency. Iā€™ve had several issues with them. They are just generic vets. You want to see a neurologist which you have an appointment for tomorrow. I would keep him on crate rest, only out to eat/drink and potty until you see the neurologist.

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Oh man this is sooo scary!!! I am sorry you are all going through this and i hope the Neuro is able to pinpoint what is happening. Hopefully it is something that can and will heal quickly.
It already seems to be showing improvement.

Never apologize for rambling! Your not rambling... your scared! When your baby is in pain and can't speak it is 1000% stressful and nerve wracking! Keep us updated at every turn and also know lots of prayers are coming your way!
We are all here to support you :heartsign:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh gosh... I'm SO very sorry this has happened to you!!! I agree w/Chip, the emergency vet will drain your account... go w/your gut feeling on this one. I sincerely hope that you get some answers very soon!!!

I want to mention that I've been going thru some sciatic nerve issues... it's been a 2 year ordeal now. The pain radiates from the middle of my butt down my leg... IF that is what's going on, that may explain the lack of him using his leg. It's the weirdest feeling ever...

Off the topic but I to have the same issue as you. Comes n goes. Only exercise that works is the crossover leg. BUT yes... A But... once you cross your leg over, stay in that position, push down on that cross leg n hold a good 1min. Then release but stay as you are n put both hands between your leg to grab the leg thatā€™s touching the floor n lift it. Stay a good 30sec or more n repeat. I swear itā€™s that exercise that will relieve my pain.

https://www.acefitness.org/educatio...le/exercise-library/231/leg-crossover-stretch

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Off the topic but I to have the same issue as you. Comes n goes. Only exercise that works is the crossover leg. BUT yes... A But... once you cross your leg over, stay in that position, push down on that cross leg n hold a good 1min. Then release but stay as you are n put both hands between your leg to grab the leg thatā€™s touching the floor n lift it. Stay a good 30sec or more n repeat. I swear itā€™s that exercise that will relieve my pain.

https://www.acefitness.org/educatio...le/exercise-library/231/leg-crossover-stretch

YES I have to do this one daily... actually they have diagnosed me w/piriformis syndrome. I have to carry these small tennis balls w/me if I go on long car trips... Lol

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
YES I have to do this one daily... actually they have diagnosed me w/piriformis syndrome. I have to carry these small tennis balls w/me if I go on long car trips... Lol

Oh, interesting. I didnā€™t think of that. Thanks.

OP
BethD

BethD

Oct 18, 2016
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosco
Hi all, sorry for the delay in replying. We had a death in the family this week as well. Itā€™s been quite a year for us unfortunately.

So our family vet called me Tuesday morning to check on rosco, he said he would make some calls and see if he could get him in to a neurologist sooner. He had luck and we got in on Tuesday.

Made the drive to the neurologist, which was fantastic. She was super nice, we didnā€™t have to wait long, it felt like they never left me in the room alone longer than 5min tops.

She said he has 1 of 2 things....

1. Herniated Disc: which if he does itā€™s minor because his xrays arenā€™t showing anything abnormal. She said with rest he should recover 100%.

2. Fibrocartilaginous Embolism (FCE)- a spinal cord stroke which in his case wouldā€™ve been from the impact of landing bursting a blood vessel to his spinal cord. She said with this he could recover 100% or he could show improvement then just stop at some point and that would be where he stays.

She suggested waiting to do an MRI, because by the time we got to the vet he was doing about the same as before maybe a little better. Heā€™s showing much more improvement than sheā€™s seen from either diagnosis in other animals theyā€™ve treated there.

She put him on 4 weeks of strict bed rest confined to his kennel or a small area. He is only allowed to go out on a leash to the bathroom and he can sit with us on the floor while on a leash for short periods of time.

She said she did some testing on him when she took him to the back and he has blood flow in the leg and foot, but definitely no feeling at the time. She said she thinks he will regain some movement if not all.

He was on prednisone and Gabapentin. She said he didnā€™t need the gabapentin because he didnā€™t have any pain at all and then she had me ween him off of the prednisone because she said thatā€™s not a good medication to use unless absolutely necessary and they had him on a very high dose.

Then she gave me Trazodone, to help sedate him since heā€™s such an active dog.

Now fast forward, I didnā€™t give him the new meds Wednesday because I wanted to be home with him in case he had an allergic reaction to it or something so I waited until Thursday. Everyday he has seemed to get a little better, gave him the anxiety meds on Thursday night and ordered delivery for dinner. I felt like he wasnā€™t calming down with it, but thought maybe it was just me being paranoid about it. Then the delivery guy came and he went crazy barking like he was going to attack, he didnā€™t do anything but sounded like it. He never acts like that.

Friday: I came home early from work and decided to try the meds again. This time, we sat outside to enjoy the sunshine. I left him out of the kennel because I was with him on the ground. Well after about an hour of the meds he became extremely hyper and wouldnā€™t listen. He was running/hopping all over the yard, so I had to take him inside and try to get him to settle down where there he continued to do the same, tried to get out of the house, etc. so I just put him back in the kennel.

I havenā€™t given anymore of those meds because Iā€™m certain he does not get the sedative side effect or less anxiety from the meds.

He hasnā€™t improved anymore since Friday but he is definitely using his leg more. I would say he is at 85-90% usage now.

He goes back to the neurologist on Tuesday for another check up. She said if he isnā€™t 100% by 2 weeks she will probably suggest doing an MRI. Iā€™m not sure she will though since he has regained so much use of his leg.

Thank you again for all the support, prayers, and advice. I will update again after his next appointment.

Members online

No members online now.