Help Needed! Rash showed up after I changed food

Jeanna

Feb 21, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I Adopted a three-year-old English bulldog she is not fixed and the same week we adopted her she started her heat we put her on a grain free food and she developed a rash and so we switched her back to the food the other family was feeding her which was Pedegree and she still has the rash I am wondering if anyone knows if the rash looks like it could be from the grain free food that I was feeding her before I take her in to her vet appointment next week any advice would be greatly appreciated.

F958493B-F5B1-4B3B-91C4-A3447A3A86FC.jpeg

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Awww poor girl. Our Oliver has horrible food and environmental allergies.
I would give her Benadryl. After two years of trying every dog food on the planet. we finally went RAW and Olivers skin is 100 times better.

I fought it til the end but now I am a huge fan. I am sure others with more experience will guide you to the threads you can read about it.
In the meantime if you google Pet fooled on you tube there is an excellent video you can watch.

Best wishes, but in the meantime the Benadryl will make her more comfortable.

OP
J

Jeanna

Feb 21, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
We have had her 1 week, we got her from someone who breed her and decided to keep the puppies. I was looking for an adult and not a puppy. In the week we have had her she started her heat & got this terrible rash. I put her back on the food she was on when I got her, been giving her Benadryl and oatmeal baths and putting hydrocortisone cream on her. I have an appointment Monday but Iā€™m just worried sick.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
The rash could also be from a detergent that you have used. Benedryl-1 per 25 lbs. If the grain-free was chicken based-it could be that,also.

OP
J

Jeanna

Feb 21, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
The rash could also be from a detergent that you have used. Benedryl-1 per 25 lbs. If the grain-free was chicken based-it could be that,also.

It was lamb and brown rice.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
In our experience, for a single protein food, Duck formulas have served us best. This applies to hundreds of rescues. It's our go-to protein for all our rescues.

OP
J

Jeanna

Feb 21, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
In our experience, for a single protein food, Duck formulas have served us best. This applies to hundreds of rescues. It's our go-to protein for all our rescues.

Ok thank you. I have only had Tonka for about a week, and I just donā€™t know if this is from the food change, the grass, something around the house. The vet canā€™t see me until Monday and Iā€™m just worried sick. Been giving her Benadryl and it helps with the itching but not sure what else I can do or make it less red, I noticed itā€™s up her legs under her chin on her paws everything is just red.

Attachments

• BF872834-CD6B-43C6-B925-3D487E45CA9D.jpeg
    BF872834-CD6B-43C6-B925-3D487E45CA9D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 187

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Try giving her the maximum dose of Benadryl (4 mg/kg every 8-12 hours ), or switch to cetirizine ( 10mg twice daily ).
Oatmeal baths will help soothe her as well.
Feed her plain cooked beef and rice for now till you get to vet or just switch her to frozen raw duck.

OP
J

Jeanna

Feb 21, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Thank you! I will do that.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
It was lamb and brown rice.

Is it only under the belly/legs as per the photo ?? If so, thatā€™s something sheā€™s laying on. Food allergies would not be only under a belly but also on top somewhere on the dog. Like mentioned have you washed beddings, floors or carpets with detergents that can be too strong for her. Have you checked inside the ears? Any funny smells in there? Meaning, go over her completely. Btw Pedegree is absolutely horrible food. Stick to Acana single protein bags n start with the Duck. Easily to digest. Once bag is finished but another of their single protein bag but like pork or beef or lamb.... rotation is a must to avoid allergies n to also see if she does have allergies to other protein. It will help you eliminate your list ā€œifā€ any. But best would be, go raw. You canā€™t go wrong with a balanced raw diet. Give Benadryl as mentioned. The vet will probably give you antibiotics, if so, you need to also add a probiotic as antibiotics will also kill the good cells. You will end up with more issues down the road. Get some fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies or plain Greek yogurt n add to a daily meal or snack. Donā€™t give it at the same time as the antibiotics. :)

OP
J

Jeanna

Feb 21, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
No itā€™s under her chin, paws, around the ears and neck I can see the skin is red under her fur on top of her neck. Since I have only have had her for about a week I do clean my house daily and I mop daily, the second day we had her I had to go out and run some errands and she Peed on my couches so I did wash those with tide. No smells in the ears. I know Pedegree is terrible food thatā€™s why we switched her to a grain free food about 3 days after we got her. I have been doing Benadryl.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If she has been on couch-she may be allergic to Tide.....If she peed on couch-you may need to crate her when not home.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Is it only under the belly/legs as per the photo ?? If so, thatā€™s something sheā€™s laying on. Food allergies would not be only under a Get some fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies or plain Greek yogurt n add to a daily meal or snack. Donā€™t give it at the same time as the antibiotics. :)

The yoghurt has to be active culture and no artificial sweetner. It's probably better to use milk kefir if your dog doesn't get diarrhea from it.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
No itā€™s under her chin, paws, around the ears and neck I can see the skin is red under her fur on top of her neck. Since I have only have had her for about a week I do clean my house daily and I mop daily, the second day we had her I had to go out and run some errands and she Peed on my couches so I did wash those with tide. No smells in the ears. I know Pedegree is terrible food thatā€™s why we switched her to a grain free food about 3 days after we got her. I have been doing Benadryl.

Is your tide with that softener inside? If so I know I sure canā€™t use it as I itch like hell... I have fragrance free for my dogs n I. Partner wanted to be helpful once and used his tide pods with I think the put Downey or something like that inside the pods. Did the bedsheets. Omg I jumped out of the bed scratching in the middle of the night loll..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Get a grain free duck based food... Zingnature is a great one to use. Wipe her with a cool wash cloth to help sooth the skin. I wonder if it is from her heat.... [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online