Upset

Vhoas

Jul 9, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hello all.
Itā€™s been a while since I posted anything on here.

Our beautiful Lola isnā€™t looking her best at the moment.

She started to develop scabs and bald patches on her back which has since spread.

Her shoulders are now practically bald.

She is not scratching or biting, she doesnā€™t seem different in herself.

The fur has started to grow back in some places and I fully understand itā€™s not a quick fix.

But she has now stopped eating.
She absolutely loves her food. (Royal Canin)
Which I know has mixed reviews, but she has had this food since birth and has never turned her nose up to it.

But Iā€™m now getting upset, and stressed about the whole situation.
She went to the vets this week who seem to think itā€™s ā€˜dust mitesā€™..

She is on antibiotics to help her skin.

But itā€™s her not eating thatā€™s upsetting me.

Does anyone have any thoughts or help?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 615537EA-8F2D-42B3-8C8D-CFC49EBE3E8B.jpeg
    615537EA-8F2D-42B3-8C8D-CFC49EBE3E8B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 200

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Your poor girl. If it was me I would take her to a Veterinary Dermatologist. That is a big hair loss and it is caused by something, it doesn't just happen. Even though she is not scratching she may be feeling bad. I would definitely change foods. There are better foods out there she will probably like just as much. Others will be along with advice so hang in there.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello all.
Itā€™s been a while since I posted anything on here.

Our beautiful Lola isnā€™t looking her best at the moment.

She started to develop scabs and bald patches on her back which has since spread.

Her shoulders are now practically bald.

She is not scratching or biting, she doesnā€™t seem different in herself.

The fur has started to grow back in some places and I fully understand itā€™s not a quick fix.

But she has now stopped eating.
She absolutely loves her food. (Royal Canin)
Which I know has mixed reviews, but she has had this food since birth and has never turned her nose up to it.

But Iā€™m now getting upset, and stressed about the whole situation.
She went to the vets this week who seem to think itā€™s ā€˜dust mitesā€™..

She is on antibiotics to help her skin.

But itā€™s her not eating thatā€™s upsetting me.

Does anyone have any thoughts or help?

Thank you in advance.

What an ordeal for both of youā€¦.. even though she has done well on the food, it may no longer agree with her. i would get a grain, chicken free high quality kibble, or if you are willing go raw.
[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] is going through a similar issue, switched to raw and he is making a wonderful recovery.

here are a few suggestions for food -- BTW - if your vet is right and dust mites are an issue... kibble has mites living in it and you will need to freeze the food to kill the mites so he can eat it.

Kibbles:
Earthgborn Holistic
Zingnature
Fromm
Acana
Orijen
Farmina (hearing good results on this food lately)

RAW:
Answers
Stella and Chewy
Vital Esstentials
Primal

PLEASE keep us posted

OP
V

Vhoas

Jul 9, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
What an ordeal for both of youā€¦.. even though she has done well on the food, it may no longer agree with her. i would get a grain, chicken free high quality kibble, or if you are willing go raw.
[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] is going through a similar issue, switched to raw and he is making a wonderful recovery.

here are a few suggestions for food -- BTW - if your vet is right and dust mites are an issue... kibble has mites living in it and you will need to freeze the food to kill the mites so he can eat it.

Kibbles:
Earthgborn Holistic
Zingnature
Fromm
Acana
Orijen
Farmina (hearing good results on this food lately)

RAW:
Answers
Stella and Chewy
Vital Esstentials
Primal

PLEASE keep us posted

Thank you for the advice.

My girlfriend wants to try this kibble

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/ava-veterinary-approved-adult-sensitive-dog-food-15kg

She has seen a lot of good reviews regarding it.

Lola did suffer with this skin issue before. She had a large bald spot next to her tail.
She had antibiotics and it cleared up. But the vet we saw has since retired. And I find it incredibly difficult to trust a vet in this day and age when the majority just want your money.

Since starting this topic, Lola has spent the night running around the house playing with her toys..
I honestly donā€™t think she is ā€˜unwellā€™ and she managed to eat some food before giving up.

She will happily eat slices of ham that we use to give her medication.
She will happily go for walks, and other exercise.

If Iā€™m honest I am having a difficult time lately, and the only reason I Lola was to give her a good life and I feel as though Iā€™m failing. Hate seeing her like this.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for the advice.

My girlfriend wants to try this kibble

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/ava-veterinary-approved-adult-sensitive-dog-food-15kg

She has seen a lot of good reviews regarding it.

Lola did suffer with this skin issue before. She had a large bald spot next to her tail.
She had antibiotics and it cleared up. But the vet we saw has since retired. And I find it incredibly difficult to trust a vet in this day and age when the majority just want your money.

Since starting this topic, Lola has spent the night running around the house playing with her toys..
I honestly donā€™t think she is ā€˜unwellā€™ and she managed to eat some food before giving up.

She will happily eat slices of ham that we use to give her medication.
She will happily go for walks, and other exercise.

If Iā€™m honest I am having a difficult time lately, and the only reason I Lola was to give her a good life and I feel as though Iā€™m failing. Hate seeing her like this.

Are you in the UK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Sorry to hear about Lola, there is a chance it could be something environmental thats triggering it. We have had a lot of allergy problems in the past with Dudley but once we stopped using any air fresheners or Fabreze type products and chemical furniture polish he really got a lot better.

We also wash everything with these products now after noticing he seemed to have a flare up after washing his bed in normal washing liquid.

https://www.biggreensmile.com/produ...MIgsyXppnT5wIVCLrtCh2DLQbPEAQYAiABEgIckvD_BwE

He has also been eating ā€œchappieā€ for a long time now which has also helped a lot and he loves it. Please dont be put off because its a cheaper brand (we were :() at least try it to see if it helps.

All bullies are different and what works for some doesnā€™t for others. We tried Dudley with all the recommended high quality foods but none seemed to agree with him.

Good luck hope she gets better.

OP
V

Vhoas

Jul 9, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Sorry to hear about Lola, there is a chance it could be something environmental thats triggering it. We have had a lot of allergy problems in the past with Dudley but once we stopped using any air fresheners or Fabreze type products and chemical furniture polish he really got a lot better.

We also wash everything with these products now after noticing he seemed to have a flare up after washing his bed in normal washing liquid.

https://www.biggreensmile.com/produ...MIgsyXppnT5wIVCLrtCh2DLQbPEAQYAiABEgIckvD_BwE

He has also been eating ā€œchappieā€ for a long time now which has also helped a lot and he loves it. Please dont be put off because its a cheaper brand (we were :() at least try it to see if it helps.

All bullies are different and what works for some doesnā€™t for others. We tried Dudley with all the recommended high quality foods but none seemed to agree with him.

Good luck hope she gets better.

Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s the food or if she is being stubborn.
We went through this last year, eventually she started eating normally again.

She has managed to eat some food this morning (the AVA kibble)
We had to mix some tuna flakes into the food but she ate some, and hasnā€™t thrown it up.

She will eat the ham with her tablets in without hesitation.
And then she has spent the morning playing and going crazy like normal.

Someone at work mentioned could it be the central heating that is affecting her skin.
Itā€™s always this time of year and sometimes in the summer where she seems to loose fur.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes sorry I should of said that.

No worries... only good on my list you could get I think are Acana/Orijen.

Let me digā€” there is a UK list some where.
[MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION] might have it too

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
No worries... only good on my list you could get I think are Acana/Orijen.

Let me digā€” there is a UK list some where.
[MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION] might have it too

We did have a list but I can't find it yet. Will keep digging.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Yes, a dermatologist needs to have a look at her. Mites? Thyroid function problem?

If you're looking into changing food, perhaps the British brand Canagan could be worth investigating. Castor was on Acana but now eats Canagan (country game and we went for the small breeds small kibble as it seems to be good for his digestion). I'm no expert on dog foods, but Canagan seems to be good and Castor does very well on it. We have also transitioned him from salmon oil to a non-fish oil called Nutrolin and I must say it has been very good for fur as well as feet.

Castor send his best regards to Lola.

OP
V

Vhoas

Jul 9, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Yes, a dermatologist needs to have a look at her. Mites? Thyroid function problem?

If you're looking into changing food, perhaps the British brand Canagan could be worth investigating. Castor was on Acana but now eats Canagan (country game and we went for the small breeds small kibble as it seems to be good for his digestion). I'm no expert on dog foods, but Canagan seems to be good and Castor does very well on it. We have also transitioned him from salmon oil to a non-fish oil called Nutrolin and I must say it has been very good for fur as well as feet.

Castor send his best regards to Lola.

I will take a look, thank you.

She has eaten a bit more today, but only when I cut up a cocktail sausage and mix it with her food.

She had some food about 30 minutes ago, she ate around half of it then after about 5 minutes she started to 'reverse sneeze'.
She has been absolutely fine all day. Playing, snoozing, playing, snoozing some more.. the usual. But come feeding time, she turns her nose up.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I will take a look, thank you.

She has eaten a bit more today, but only when I cut up a cocktail sausage and mix it with her food.

She had some food about 30 minutes ago, she ate around half of it then after about 5 minutes she started to 'reverse sneeze'.
She has been absolutely fine all day. Playing, snoozing, playing, snoozing some more.. the usual. But come feeding time, she turns her nose up.

it does happen at times, where the food just starts to not agree with them anymore

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Vitamins.jpgOur Oliver started in Dec with losing hair on his back and red spots, had him tested for ring worm, had skin cytology test, allergy test etc. Ring worm was negative but one test came back and vet wanted to surgically remove the lesions.
I did some digging. This is what worked for us.

We took him off all meds ( he was on a low dose steroid for bad allergies )
switching from apoquel to cytopoint shot.
I started using Nu stock cream ( Miracle cream !! )
I started a RAW diet
I also supplement these vitamins ( they are pricy but really help build the immune system )- Thorne Research Immugen
and I started giving him turmeric.

it has been about 6 weeks. all his hair has grown back on his back and where he had thin hair on his sides is growing in thick. all the lesions are dried up and 95 % gone.
he is much more comfortable .

I am a fan of ruling things out first at the vet but this is what helped us ! Olivers skin was HORRIBLE 6 weeks ago. red inflamed, and he has lost so much.

Best wishes. it is so hard when this happens.

Last edited:

RalphTheBulldog

Aug 30, 2019
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Ralph
I took Ralph off Royal Canin, he now has James Wellbeloved and Lily's kitchen, no Poultry at all.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.